Question on logical drives

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Dave, May 11, 2005.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Hi all,

    I'm preparing for my O/S exam and am doing practice tests from
    ExactQuestions (as well as TestKing (thanks Marco)). They seem to be pretty
    good although I don't agree with their answers 100% of the time. For
    instance...

    They ask: How many logical drives exist on a Windows 2000 Professional
    system?

    Their answer: Unlimited.

    My understanding is that although operating systems are getting more
    sophisticated, we're still left with the single lettered drive names of DOS.
    To my mind that amounts to 26 (A - Z). Subtract two for the floppies
    (usually A and B) and one for the primary partition (usually C) and that
    leaves 23. How do they get "unlimited"??

    Does anyone agree with their answer and can explain it to me? I'd be greatly
    appreciative.

    Dave
    Dave, May 11, 2005

  2. Dave

    A Guest

    Hi Dave - For my part you are correct. Perhaps unlimited logical drives
    would be possible if partitioning programs would allow drive letters beyond
    Z. Having passed A+ last year I have seen one clients (second hand) PC with
    a primary partition of 2GB and an extended partition comprising 12 logical
    partitions of 2GB or less from F to Q which were all empty. Drive C was
    nearly full. The hard drive was cabled to the secondary IDE. Windows M.E.
    was pirated, the client had no disks, the OS was corrupt. Microsoft had
    bumped off the Internet connection, and the CDRW had failed. If it hadn't
    have been a neighbour I wouldn't have taken the job but I did earn £200. (I
    think the 2GB limit on each partition was due to the seller not saying yes
    to large drives during the partitioning process - I must refer to my study
    notes!!) Good luck. Alan A+

    A, May 11, 2005

  3. "Dave" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm preparing for my O/S exam and am doing practice tests from
    > ExactQuestions (as well as TestKing (thanks Marco)). They seem to be
    > pretty good although I don't agree with their answers 100% of the time.
    > For instance...
    >
    > They ask: How many logical drives exist on a Windows 2000 Professional
    > system?
    >
    > Their answer: Unlimited.
    >
    > My understanding is that although operating systems are getting more
    > sophisticated, we're still left with the single lettered drive names of
    > DOS. To my mind that amounts to 26 (A - Z). Subtract two for the floppies
    > (usually A and B) and one for the primary partition (usually C) and that
    > leaves 23. How do they get "unlimited"??
    >
    > Does anyone agree with their answer and can explain it to me? I'd be
    > greatly appreciative.

    Testkings are essentially braindumps, meaning they "stole" the questions
    from the actual tests but came up with the answers on their own. On some
    questions, they do not have the correct answer. This might be one of them.
    Patrick Michael, May 12, 2005
  4. Dave

    MF Guest

    They get that answer because they are idiots.

    You are right. One primary. one for the floppy and one wasted. remainder:
    23.

    The whole purpose of braindumps and other test questions is for you to check
    their answers.;)

    MF, May 12, 2005
  5. The answer *is* correct, in theory, but not real-world applications. The
    number of logical drives IS theoretically unlimited, but is limited only by
    the number of letters in the alphabet. If there were 50 letters in the
    alphabet, there would be 47 logical drives.

    Later on I can quote directly from the A+ Exam guide book I'm reading.

    Viken K.

    Viken Karaguesian, May 13, 2005