Question on installing Vista 64 bit with 4gb of ram?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Don, Feb 17, 2008.

  1. Don

    Don Guest

    Hey gang,

    I am about to order Vista Ultimate, and plan on installing the 64 bit
    version and dual booting with XP Pro. I will also get another sata hard
    drive, to dedicate to the 64 bit Vista install.

    I have read on some forums, where 64 bit Vista may need a certain hotfix
    from Microsoft, to be able to run with 4gb of ram installed. Is this pretty
    much the case all around, for those with 4gb of ram? I have seen where it is
    recommended, when installing 64 bit Vista on a system with 4gb of ram, to
    remove 2gb, install Vista 64 bit, then get the hotfix and install it, then
    add the other 2gb of ram.

    Is this what I should plan on doing, before even attempting to install 64
    bit Vista?

    Thanks for any feedback on this,

    --
    Don

    EVGA 780i MB
    Intel Core2 Duo E6600@ 3.24 ghz
    Zalman 9700 NT heatsink/fan
    BFG 8800 GTS 640 mb
    CoolerMaster 830 Evolution Case
    4 gb Corsair Dominator PC8500 DDR2
    Don, Feb 17, 2008

  2. It depends on your mobo. There are a lot of reports of problems running
    four dimms of pc6400 ram, whether 4x1GB or 4x2GB on consumer mobos. It
    isn't so much the amount of ram as the number of dimm slots filled.

    A common resolution is not to use pc6400 or reduce the dram speed to 667.
    Mobos with nVidia chipsets are mentioned most often. Nforce4, 650i, and
    680i are ones I know about. The problem seems to be a combination of
    factors that overload the memory controller at 800 with all four dimm slots
    filled. You don't give any specifics of your hardware so that's about all I
    can tell you. By the way, the problem isn't confined to Vista x64. It also
    exists with XP Pro x64.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 17, 2008

  3. In addition to Colin's comments, there have been sporadic reports of some
    systems having issues with 4 GB exactly. For those systems, you pull the two
    DIMMs, install, and re-install the DIMMs. You don't need the hotfix at that
    point in most cases. But certainly not all systems have the problem, so
    don't worry unless you do.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 17, 2008
  4. Don

    Don Guest

    Thanks Colin,

    My system is:

    EVGA 780i mb
    4 gb ( 4 x 1gb), Corsair Dominator PC8500 ram, running at 1066 mhz
    Intel Core2 Duo E6600
    BFG 8800 GTS 640mb video card
    Creative X-Fi Extreme Music soundcard
    XP Pro 32 bit

    --
    Don

    Don, Feb 17, 2008
  5. Don

    Don Guest

    Thanks Charlie, when I get Vista 64 bit, I will go ahead and try and install
    as my system is and see what happens.

    --
    Don

    Don, Feb 17, 2008
  6. Don

    therese1225 Guest

    Hi Don,
    Just letting you know I am running 64 bit Vista home premium with 8 gb of
    ram (4X2gb). No major problems. I went to the Kingston site and they checked
    my system for ram compatibility. Ordered 8Gb's for about $200. The price of
    some ram has come down. The only thing is that the systems boots up slower
    than it used to, but once booted up runs good. I have a choice of running 64
    bit or 32 bit IE7; I run the 32 bit version. I've been using the 64 bit for
    about a year now.

    Asus P5N32-SLI Deluxe
    Pentium D 2.8ghz
    BFG 8800 GT OC 512MB GDDR3
    8 Gb (4X2) Kingston PC2 5300 667Mhz Value Ram

    therese1225, Feb 17, 2008
  7. That's because you are using pc5300. It is pc6400 that is problematic on
    the Asus P5N32 SLI Deluxe. I have that mobo in one of my machines and I can
    validate that pc6400 causes problems when all dimm slots are filled but
    pc5300 is not a problem. The test reports on various ram on the Asus site
    for this mobo do list a lot of compatible pc6400 but the test reports on all
    the ram never gives any tests with more than 2GB. As a result I bought
    pc6400 not realizing the subleties of the test reports and wound up having
    to replace with pc5300 in the end in order to max it. It is a good board in
    every other respect but like so many consumer mobos the subleties are
    sometimes maddening.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 18, 2008
  8. Don

    Tony Harding Guest

    Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    > It depends on your mobo. There are a lot of reports of problems running
    > four dimms of pc6400 ram, whether 4x1GB or 4x2GB on consumer mobos. It
    > isn't so much the amount of ram as the number of dimm slots filled.
    >
    > A common resolution is not to use pc6400 or reduce the dram speed to
    > 667. Mobos with nVidia chipsets are mentioned most often. Nforce4,
    > 650i, and 680i are ones I know about. The problem seems to be a
    > combination of factors that overload the memory controller at 800 with
    > all four dimm slots filled. You don't give any specifics of your
    > hardware so that's about all I can tell you. By the way, the problem
    > isn't confined to Vista x64. It also exists with XP Pro x64.

    Is this the likely reason for a nasty problem I had with XP Pro x64 over
    the weekend, namely I bought 8GB of PC6400 Corsair RAM (4 x 2GB DIMMs)
    and installed x64. x64 saw my C:\ & D:\ drives just fine, but showed
    "unknown" (instead of "basic") for the E:\ & F:\ drives and insisted
    they weren't initialized. It's a Dell mobo (XPS720) with the nVidia 680i
    SLI chipset. Video card is an nVidia GeForce 7600GS. My first thought
    was that I needed to update the SATA drivers to Dell's newest version,
    which took some doing. However, after it was done and I verified the
    update's success by going into Device Manager and displaying the driver
    details for the SATA/RAID controllers (although I haven't defined any
    RAID arrays). Absolutely no difference at all, so as a last resort I
    pulled the 8GB of PC6400 RAM and reinstalled the 4GB of PC8500 RAM -
    everything was perfect, no OS reinstall required. Should I be
    researching the nVidia site?
    Tony Harding, Feb 18, 2008
  9. I had issues with a board with an nVidia chipset when I tried to max the ram
    with pc6400 under XP Pro x64 so I can believe you might have had issues from
    a similar cause but slightly different symtoms.

    As to why apparently faster ram works OK, maybe it depends on what speed the
    8500 really is running at when you fill all the dimm slots.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 18, 2008
  10. I just updated my BIOS (Asus M2N32-SLI - nv590 chipset) from '903' to
    '1603' (there are at least five updates in between), sometime after 903 they
    listed memory timing adjustments as a feature. I belive this BIOS (Award, I
    think?) covers many of the newer boards from Asus and although I am only
    running 2GB, and never had any trouble of this kind, you might check for an
    update whatever board it is you have. I think that few boards were delivered
    with complete support for 800 Mhz chips, even a short while ago, since
    latency was still an issue just last year and BIOS's are rarely less than
    six months old.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Feb 18, 2008
  11. Don

    Don Guest

    Thanks for the info, good to know!

    Don, Feb 18, 2008
  12. Don

    Tony Harding Guest

    Tony Sperling wrote:
    > I just updated my BIOS (Asus M2N32-SLI - nv590 chipset) from '903' to
    > '1603' (there are at least five updates in between), sometime after 903 they
    > listed memory timing adjustments as a feature. I belive this BIOS (Award, I
    > think?) covers many of the newer boards from Asus and although I am only
    > running 2GB, and never had any trouble of this kind, you might check for an
    > update whatever board it is you have. I think that few boards were delivered
    > with complete support for 800 Mhz chips, even a short while ago, since
    > latency was still an issue just last year and BIOS's are rarely less than
    > six months old.

    Good point (i.e., BIOS). For the record, I'm running Dell's latest BIOS
    for the XPS720, ver. A05, dated 01/25/2008.
    Tony Harding, Feb 18, 2008
  13. This is a case where the latest BIOS version is not always the right BIOS
    version. Usually, but not always. You just have to read through the
    descriptions of the versions and use the forum for your board on the
    manufacturer's website. The aggregated experience of the users on those
    forums is fantastic.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 18, 2008