    other things, and when its done go back and add the chapter breaks where I
    want them? TIA for any help

    Scott
    Scott Blair, Jan 30, 2005

  2. Scott Blair

    Galley Guest

    On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 20:20:11 -0600, "Scott Blair" <> spewed
    forth these words of wisdom:

    >I am contemplating in the next few months getting a VCR/DVD recorder combo.
    >I have tons of VHS stuff I want transferred to DVD.
    >
    >My question is in the creating of the chapter breaks (I think thats what
    >they call it). If I have a tape that I am transferring to DVD I dont have
    >to sit through the entire tape while its recording and add the chapter
    >breaks where I want to as I go along do I? Can I just let it record, go do
    >other things, and when its done go back and add the chapter breaks where I
    >want them? TIA for any help
    >
    >Scott

    My Sony RDR-Gx300 will auto-insert chapter marks every 6 or 10 minutes when
    recording to DVD-R or DVD+R. You can manually insert them on a DVD-RW.

    Galley
    Galley, Jan 30, 2005

  3. Scott Blair

    Guest

    Scott Blair wrote:
    > I am contemplating in the next few months getting a VCR/DVD recorder

    combo.
    > I have tons of VHS stuff I want transferred to DVD.
    >
    > My question is in the creating of the chapter breaks (I think thats

    what
    > they call it). If I have a tape that I am transferring to DVD I dont

    have
    > to sit through the entire tape while its recording and add the

    chapter
    > breaks where I want to as I go along do I? Can I just let it record,

    go do
    > other things, and when its done go back and add the chapter breaks

    where I
    > want them? TIA for any help

    I have a Philips DVDR and it adds chapers every 5 minutes if one
    wants. One can also add them later but if one does that on a DVD+R
    normal players do not know of them. If one has several shows on the
    tape it is better to use titles. On DVD+RW one can break the disc
    into titles. If one wants a DVD+R then one can use a PC to burn it.
    (With a DVD+R one needs to stop and restart the recoding to get
    titles.)

    Is a combo really ideal? Don't you already have a VHS VCR. Why not get
    just a DVDR and hook it on.

    Osmo
    , Jan 30, 2005
  4. Scott Blair

    Guest

    wrote:

    > Is a combo really ideal? Don't you already have a VHS VCR. Why not get
    > just a DVDR and hook it on.
    >
    > Osmo

    Also, if any of the tapes are macrovision protected, you will end up
    needing a second VCR so a copy protection remover can be inserted in the
    video stream.
    , Jan 30, 2005
  5. Scott Blair

    Donald Link Guest

    >titles.)
    >
    >Is a combo really ideal? Don't you already have a VHS VCR. Why not get
    >just a DVDR and hook it on.
    >
    >Osmo

    Because most of the vast majority of people either do not have an idea
    how or do not have a VCR since they trashed them. Or even better you
    can do it on a combination by just hitting a button. Simple.
    Donald Link, Jan 31, 2005
  6. Scott Blair

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <AAXKd.2867$>,
    "Scott Blair" <> wrote:

    > I am contemplating in the next few months getting a VCR/DVD recorder combo.
    > I have tons of VHS stuff I want transferred to DVD.
    >
    > My question is in the creating of the chapter breaks (I think thats what
    > they call it). If I have a tape that I am transferring to DVD I dont have
    > to sit through the entire tape while its recording and add the chapter
    > breaks where I want to as I go along do I? Can I just let it record, go do
    > other things, and when its done go back and add the chapter breaks where I
    > want them? TIA for any help
    >
    > Scott

    This should answer most questions you have Scott.

    Credit:

    http://news.com.com/Videotape to DVD, made easy/2100-1041_3-5554991.html

    Videotape to DVD, Made Easy
    By DAVID POGUE

    WHOEVER said "technology marches on" must have been kidding. Technology
    doesn't march; it sprints, dashes and zooms.

    That relentless pace renders our storage media obsolete with appalling
    speed:5ΒΌ-inch floppies, Zip disks or whatever. And with the debut of
    each new storage format, millions of important files, photos, music and
    video have to be rescued from the last one.

    At the moment, the most urgent conversion concerns videotape, whose
    signal begins to deteriorate in as little as 15 years. Rescuing tapes
    by copying them to fresh ones isn't an option, because you lose half
    the picture quality with each generation. You could play them into a
    computer for editing and DVD burning, but that's a months-long project.
    You could pay a company to transfer them to DVD, if you can stomach the
    cost and the possibility that something might happen to your precious
    tapes in the mail.

    There is, fortunately, a safe, automated and relatively inexpensive
    solution to this problem: the combo VHS-DVD recorder. It looks like a
    VCR, but it can play or record both VHS tapes and blank DVD discs, and
    copy from one to the other, in either direction. Pressing a couple of
    buttons begins the process of copying a VHS tape to a DVD, with very
    little quality loss. (You can't duplicate copy-protected tapes or
    DVD's, of course; only tapes and discs you've recorded yourself.)

    And if your movies are on some other format, like 8-millimeter
    cassettes, you can plug the old camcorder into the back of this
    machine, hit Play, and walk away as the video is transferred to a DVD.

    (Of course, now you have to worry about the longevity of recordable
    DVD's. Fortunately, a DVD's movie files are stored as digital signals,
    not analog, so you won't lose any quality when you copy them onto
    whatever video format is popular in 2025. Video contact lenses,
    perhaps?)

    As a bonus, a combo VCR-DVD player-recorder can eliminate one machine
    stacked under the TV, one remote control and, in most cases, one set of
    cables to your TV. (None of this makes it simple, however. All of these
    machines are far more complex than, say, a stand-alone DVD player.)

    I sampled four of these combo boxes: the Panasonic DMR-E75V, the RCA
    DRC8300N, GoVideo's VR2940, and the JVC DR-MV1S. (Who makes up these
    model names, anyway - drunken Scrabble players?) All are available
    online for $285 to $350. As it turns out, shopping for a combo recorder
    is an exercise in compromise. Here are some of the trade-offs you have
    to look forward to.

    JACKS: Each recorder has a dazzling array of jacks on the front and back
    panels, for ease in connecting to your other home-entertainment gear.
    For example, each has so-called component video outputs for a superior
    picture on recent TV sets. JVC and GoVideo even included a front-panel
    FireWire input, which lets you dump footage from a digital camcorder
    directly onto a DVD.

    Unfortunately, the GoVideo deck lacks an S-video input, a high-quality
    connection to many camcorder models. And a note to videophiles: The
    RCA, JVC and GoVideo decks can play both VCR and DVD signals through
    the same set of component video cables, so you don't have to switch TV
    inputs to get the best quality. DISC FORMAT Thanks to a foolhardy war
    between electronics companies, there are two incompatible formats for
    blank DVD's, confusingly called DVD-R and DVD+R. Recorded discs of
    either type will play in most recent DVD players, but you have to be
    careful to buy the right kind of blanks for your recorder, and many
    stores carry only one type.

    The RCA and GoVideo decks require DVD+R (and their more expensive,
    erase-and-reuse variant, DVD+RW). The Panasonic and JVC players take
    DVD-R discs (and the erasable DVD-RW). A disc of either format must be
    "finalized" (a 2- to 15-minute electronic shrink-wrapping) before it
    will play in other DVD players.

    As a bonus, the Panasonic and JVC models also accept a third format
    called DVD-RAM, which doesn't play in most everyday DVD players. But if
    you just leave it in your recorder, you can use it pretty much like a
    hard drive, adding and deleting recordings at will, slicing out
    commercials, watching the beginning of a show whose ending is still
    being recorded, and so on.

    Frankly, understanding the differences between all of these formats
    makes most people's brains hurt. At the outset, you might want to
    consider just buying straight-ahead, ordinary blanks (either DVD-R or
    DVD+R) and treating them as burn-once-and-forget-it DVD's.

    COPY QUALITY: The quality of the copy depends on the speed setting you
    choose. The one- and two-hour DVD settings, for example, are nearly
    indistinguishable from the original VHS tape. Remember, of course, that
    VHS quality isn't so great to begin with. The four- to eight-hour modes
    look pretty terrible. The JVC and Panasonic decks also offer in-between
    settings that maximize quality based on the length of the recording, as
    long as you know the length ahead of time.

    VCR FEATURES: Only the JVC and Panasonic models offer VCR Plus+, the
    shortcut system that programs your recorder to record a show when you
    copy its code out of the newspaper TV listings. This feature applies to
    recordings made on either a tape or a disc, so a better name might be
    VCR Plus+ Plus DVD Plus+.

    REMOTE CONTROL: None of the remotes are fully illuminated, although the
    JVC's primary playback controls glow. Most require you to press a DVD
    or a VCR button before pressing Play, Pause or whatever; only the RCA
    is smart enough to play whatever is in the machine (a disc or a tape) -
    or, if one of each is inside, to ask which you want. The buttons on
    GoVideo's remote are especially poorly designed; they're all alike, all
    tiny, all the time.

    DVD FEATURES: All four of these decks work fine as DVD players, but the
    GoVideo's AutoPlay feature can skip all the ads, movie trailers, FBI
    warnings and so on at the beginning of a DVD movie, and just start
    playing the movie itself. DVDelicious!

    Speaking of smart, the JVC, Panasonic and RCA decks offer a 30-second
    skip button that works on both discs and tapes; the JVC and RCA also
    offer a 7-second replay button that's great for catching mumbled
    dialogue.

    CHAPTER MARKERS: Each deck creates a new "chapter" of your DVD for each
    new recording you copy to it. But within a long recording, the
    Panasonic, RCA and JVC models just put a chapter marker every few
    minutes.

    The GoVideo offers two more sophisticated features. One, an option
    called YesVideo, produces a handsome main menu featuring thumbnail
    images of the chapter breaks - an infinite improvement over the
    invisible markers of its rivals. (GoVideo's ads imply that these breaks
    are intelligently placed at scene breaks, but usually they're just
    spaced at regular intervals.) Better yet, if you pop the finished disc
    into a Windows PC, you can print out a DVD jewel-case insert depicting
    those thumbnail images, so you can see what's on the disc without
    having to put it into a player. Very cool.

    YesVideo is available only if there's just one recording on a disc.
    Even without this feature, though, GoVideo still lets you place chapter
    markers manually during playback, complete with thumbnail images.

    SUPPORT: GoVideo should take pride in the fact that it prominently
    displays its toll-free tech-support number right on the box, part of
    what it calls its "widely heralded White Glove Customer Care."

    It should be ashamed, however, of the fact that White Glove Customer
    Care turns out to be keeping you on hold for an hour, waiting for an
    agent - until a recording tells you that everyone's busy and hangs up
    on you. I never did get through.

    Panasonic's player has a jaw-dropping list of features, including an
    amazing one-minute full-tape rewind speed, picture-in-picture, and so
    on - but its manual reads like a bad translation of the Japanese
    income-tax form. (Writing sample: "The title is irretrievably erased
    when you use this procedure and cannot be retrieved.")

    On the other hand, RCA's manual offers standard high-school
    English-class writing - which means that, among electronics manuals,
    it's practically Shakespeare.

    MAKING A CHOICE: The GoVideo is the least expensive deck ($285 at
    shopping.com), its DVD preview-skipping feature is almost irresistible,
    and that YesVideo chapter thumbnail thing is a worthy exclusive. Its
    reliability is worrisome, though. My review unit froze several times
    during testing, and after a few days refused to burn any more DVD's. A
    replacement unit occasionally stopped burning discs until it was
    unplugged and plugged in again, earning it the household nickname
    Don'tGoVideo.(GoVideo's buyer reviews online are similarly
    discouraging.) The RCA ($346) and Panasonic ($342) are fine machines,
    but they can't touch the JVC ($312) for good looks, price or genuinely
    useful features. For example, only the JVC has two tuners, so that it
    can record two things at once (one on tape, one on DVD). And only JVC
    offers an infrared blaster (when you send in your registration card),
    which changes the channel on your cable or satellite box for a
    scheduled recording. VCR Plus+, a full complement of jacks and the
    glowing remote only sweeten the deal.

    In any case, the arrival of the combo VCR-DVD recorder is a welcome
    moment in format-turnover history. Now all we need is an equally
    automated machine that rescues our vinyl records, Apple II floppies and
    8-track tapes.
    Black Locust, Feb 1, 2005