    Jean

    --
    jeandr at bigfoot dot com
    jean, Feb 22, 2004

  2. jean

    Tal Fucus Guest

    Jean,
    I'm not sure I understand you, but you'll have larger depth of field with
    smaller aperture.
    f3.5 is smaller then f1.8 (At least in this case :)

    Tal

    Tal Fucus, Feb 22, 2004

  3. jean

    Lisa Horton Guest

    Yes. 50mm at 3.5 is 50mm at 3.5

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Feb 22, 2004
  4. jean

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Durn new math :)

    I still think 1.8 is smaller than 3.5 :)

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Feb 22, 2004
  5. jean

    al-Farrob Guest

    jean wrote:

    > If I take pictures with a 50mm lens with a maximum aperture of f3.5, will
    > the depth of field be the same as an f1.8 50mm lens stopped down to f3.5?
    >
    > Jean

    Yes, you can see it as 50/3.5 in both cases

    --
    al-Farrob
    al-Farrob, Feb 22, 2004
  6. jean

    Rudy Garcia Guest

    In article <%E9_b.2604$>,
    "jean" <look_for@my_email.org> wrote:

    > If I take pictures with a 50mm lens with a maximum aperture of f3.5, will
    > the depth of field be the same as an f1.8 50mm lens stopped down to f3.5?
    >
    > Jean

    Absolutely the same when both are set to the same aperture and subject
    distance.

    --
    Rudy Garcia
    Rudy Garcia, Feb 22, 2004
  7. "jean" <look_for@my_email.org> writes:

    > If I take pictures with a 50mm lens with a maximum aperture of f3.5, will
    > the depth of field be the same as an f1.8 50mm lens stopped down to f3.5?

    The depth of field is determined by the focal length of the lens, the
    size of the film, the degree of enlargement (if you're making your
    judgement from a print), the distance the lens is focused at, and the
    aperture the lens is set at.

    So if you're talking about taking the same photo with the same camera
    with a 50mm f3.5 lens set at f3.5, and a 50mm f1.8 lens set at f3.5,
    and otherwise doing everything the same, then yes, they'll have the
    same depth of field. It's the aperture *used* that's relevant.
    RKBA: <http://noguns-nomoney.com> <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>
    David Dyer-Bennet, Feb 22, 2004
  8. jean

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 17:02:58 -0500, in rec.photo.digital "jean"
    <look_for@my_email.org> wrote:

    >If I take pictures with a 50mm lens with a maximum aperture of f3.5, will
    >the depth of field be the same as an f1.8 50mm lens stopped down to f3.5?

    As long as you are comparing apples to apples it is the same. By this I
    mean the same camera. You can not compare settings from a film to a digital
    camera,
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://members.cox.net/egruf
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam
    Ed Ruf, Feb 23, 2004
  9. jean

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Yes - if you are focused at the same distance.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Feb 23, 2004
  10. jean

    Don Stauffer Guest

    No. Well, sort of. The depth of field in relative amount (that is,
    PROPORTIONAL to focal length, or percentage of focal length), will be
    about the same, but not in absolute measurement scale.

    Also, diffraction will alter the depth of field a bit, increasing the
    relative depth of field by a small amount.

    --
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota

    Don Stauffer, Feb 23, 2004
  11. jean

    Ken Burns Guest

    Yes 1.8 is smaller than 3.5. But 1/1.8 is larger than 1/3.5 and 1/3.5 is
    smaller than 1/1.8. If you knew the basics of lens apertures, you would
    know this and not make foolish remarks.

    KB

    Ken Burns, Feb 23, 2004
  12. jean

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Hi Ken...

    I intended it as a nothing more than a teasing joke...

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Feb 23, 2004
  13. jean

    Rudy Garcia Guest

    In article <>,
    Don Stauffer <> wrote:

    > No. Well, sort of. The depth of field in relative amount (that is,
    > PROPORTIONAL to focal length, or percentage of focal length), will be
    > about the same, but not in absolute measurement scale.

    There is nothing relative about it. Two 50mm lenses set to the same
    aperture and focuused on the same subject will yield the same depth of
    field in the same film format.

    > Also, diffraction will alter the depth of field a bit, increasing the
    > relative depth of field by a small amount.

    Diffraction effects will affect both lenses the same when set to the
    same aperture.

    --
    Rudy Garcia
    Rudy Garcia, Feb 24, 2004
  14. jean

    Don Stauffer Guest

    But I thought the question was between DOF on two lenses of same
    relative aperture, but different focal length. That is the case where
    DOF scales as proportional to focal length.

    --
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota

    Don Stauffer, Feb 24, 2004
  15. jean

    KBob Guest

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 02:30:36 GMT, Rudy Garcia <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > Don Stauffer <> wrote:
    >
    >> No. Well, sort of. The depth of field in relative amount (that is,
    >> PROPORTIONAL to focal length, or percentage of focal length), will be
    >> about the same, but not in absolute measurement scale.

    >There is nothing relative about it. Two 50mm lenses set to the same
    >aperture and focuused on the same subject will yield the same depth of
    >field in the same film format.
    >
    >> Also, diffraction will alter the depth of field a bit, increasing the
    >> relative depth of field by a small amount.

    >Diffraction effects will affect both lenses the same when set to the
    >same aperture.
    >
    >> jean wrote:
    >> >
    >> > If I take pictures with a 50mm lens with a maximum aperture of f3.5, will
    >> > the depth of field be the same as an f1.8 50mm lens stopped down to f3.5?
    >> >
    >> > Jean
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > jeandr at bigfoot dot com

    Yes, but some cameras (e.g. the Sony 824) have their lenses marked in
    terms of equivalent 35mm focal lengths, even though they have the
    typically small (11mm) CCD. The actual F.L. varies from 7.1 to 51mm.
    Certainly misleading when DOF is concerned.
    KBob, Feb 25, 2004