  1. ErDNA

    ErDNA Guest

    Can it be used as router?

    ErDNA, Jan 15, 2004

  2. yes, with EMI software.

    ErDNA schrieb:
    > Can it be used as router?

    Helmut Ulrich, Jan 15, 2004

  3. In article <4006ca58$>,
    Helmut Ulrich <> top-posted:

    :ErDNA schrieb:
    :> Can it be used as router?

    :yes, with EMI software.

    And depending what you mean by "router". It won't do BGP for example.
    And it's ability to policy route is restricted. But it can certainly
    move traffic between different IP address ranges, so -I- would call
    it a router.
    --
    Are we *there* yet??

    Walter Roberson, Jan 15, 2004
  4. ErDNA

    Jeroen Guest

    "Helmut Ulrich" <> schreef in bericht
    > yes, with EMI software.
    >
    > ErDNA schrieb:
    > > Can it be used as router?

    I've a similair question about that.
    It is possible to use SMI software if you dont use any routing protocols
    (like EIGRP and RIP) isn't ?
    It should be possible to make these settings ?
    - interface VLAN's to set IP access-lists (in and out)
    - static routing (or connected)

    One site on cisco's says you need EMI, but an other says you don;t need EMI
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps646/products_qanda_item09186a00800913d3.shtml

    AND
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk3...ation_example09186a008019e74e.shtml#maintask1

    jeroen
    The netherlands

    Jeroen, Jan 15, 2004
  5. ErDNA

    Steinar Haug Guest

    ["Jeroen"]

    | I've a similair question about that.
    | It is possible to use SMI software if you dont use any routing protocols
    | (like EIGRP and RIP) isn't ?

    Newer versions of SMI for 3550 can perform IP routing with static routes
    *and* RIP2.

    | It should be possible to make these settings ?
    | - interface VLAN's to set IP access-lists (in and out)
    | - static routing (or connected)

    You're fine with SMI here.

    Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting,

    Steinar Haug, Jan 15, 2004
  6. ErDNA

    Steinar Haug Guest

    [Walter Roberson]

    | :> Can it be used as router?
    |
    | :yes, with EMI software.
    |
    | And depending what you mean by "router". It won't do BGP for example.

    It certainly can do BGP with EMI software - however, it cannot do BGP
    with a full Internet routing table.

    Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting,

    Steinar Haug, Jan 15, 2004
  7. In article <>,
    Steinar Haug <> wrote:
    ![Walter Roberson]

    !| :> Can it be used as router?

    !| And depending what you mean by "router". It won't do BGP for example.

    !It certainly can do BGP with EMI software - however, it cannot do BGP
    !with a full Internet routing table.

    Dang, I gotta me get one of those html-diff programs to automatically tell
    me when Cisco pages change and what's changed.

    I also gotta get me one of those infinite memory modules, and a
    chrono-amplifier. And a life somewhere along the way...
    --
    What is "The Ultimate Meme"? Would it, like Monty Python's
    "The World's Funniest Joke", lead to the deaths of everyone who

    Walter Roberson, Jan 15, 2004

  8. > ["Jeroen"]

    > | I've a similair question about that.
    > | It is possible to use SMI software if you dont use any routing protocols
    > | (like EIGRP and RIP) isn't ?
    >
    > Newer versions of SMI for 3550 can perform IP routing with static routes
    > *and* RIP2.
    >
    > | It should be possible to make these settings ?
    > | - interface VLAN's to set IP access-lists (in and out)
    > | - static routing (or connected)
    >
    > You're fine with SMI here.

    It will also do RIP with SMI

    Helmut Ulrich, Jan 16, 2004
  9. ErDNA

    Steinar Haug Guest

    [Helmut Ulrich]

    | > Newer versions of SMI for 3550 can perform IP routing with static routes
    | > *and* RIP2.
    | It will also do RIP with SMI

    Sure, but who would want to use RIP version 1 today? Shudder.

    Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting,

    Steinar Haug, Jan 16, 2004
  10. ErDNA

    ErDNA Guest

    Actually, I have plan the network and the criteria are shown below:
    Office Area with 19 PC (VLAN1)
    Public Area with 2 PC (VLAN2)
    Training Room 1 with 30 PC (VLAN3)
    Training Room 2 with 30 PC (VLAN4)
    Server farm (VLAN5)
    Every VLAN can access to Server farm and Internet
    VLANs are not allowed to access the others except Server farm.
    No. of PC in Office Area will be increase gently in the future
    and it is fixed in the other area.
    Do you think it is good to use these device and setting:

    or any recommendation?

    ErDNA, Jan 16, 2004