    engage focusing when the switch is in auto position
    this does not seem to be the case with my other USM lens where manual
    override is always enabled. Or is this not the true ring USM?
    heater, Jan 30, 2004

  2. heater

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "heater"

    >does this lens have full time manual focus in auto mode?

    Yes.

    >I tried a used one at local store and seems that focus ring does not
    >engage focusing when the switch is in auto position

    I just tried mine ... AF'ed on something and then adjusted the focus manually
    and shot it (on a 10D) so it definitely lets you manually override the
    autofocus after you've obtained AF.

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, Jan 30, 2004

  3. heater

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    It is advertised as having it. Perhaps the one you tried was broken.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Jan 31, 2004
  4. "heater" <> writes:

    > does this lens have full time manual focus in auto mode? I tried a
    > used one at local store and seems that focus ring does not engage
    > focusing when the switch is in auto position this does not seem to
    > be the case with my other USM lens where manual override is always
    > enabled. Or is this not the true ring USM?

    Depends on the body, and the CF settings. You need the body to give up
    autofocusing when you manual adjust the focus, other wise you just end
    up with you and the camera playing pass the parcel...

    --
    Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
    +61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.
    Paul Repacholi, Jan 31, 2004
  5. heater

    Mikey S. Guest

    Which setting would that be? On my Digital Rebel, the full time manual focus
    on that same 70-200 F2.8 L lens always works..unless I just haven't managed
    to make the wrong setting yet.

    --

    Mikey S.
    http://www.mike721.com