    Is this possible? Will "Bart's PE" or any of the other "Boot CDs"
    allow
    doing this?
    jeremy, Nov 27, 2009

  2. Yes, it's possible, most of the various "pre-installation" environment
    CDs will do this (including the "recovery environment" present on
    Windows Vista and Windows 7 CDs).

    Barry Watzman, Nov 27, 2009

  3. jeremy

    Gerard Bok Guest

    On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 17:31:16 -0800 (PST), jeremy
    <> wrote:

    >I need a CD that can boot up to a GUI environment and run a current
    >generation web browser on a PC that has NO hard drive installed at
    >all.
    > NONE.
    >
    >Is this possible? Will "Bart's PE" or any of the other "Boot CDs"
    >allow doing this?

    Sure. As long as there is sufficient RAM present in the machine.

    (Next to Windows boot CDs you can also look at some of the Linux
    variants. And apart from a boot CD you could also run stuff from
    a bootable USB stick.)

    --
    met vriendelijke groet,
    Gerard Bok
    Gerard Bok, Nov 28, 2009
  4. jeremy

    Bill Eitner Guest

    Where I work we often use bootable (aka live) CDs
    for troubleshooting. Our favorite is Puppy Linux
    although Damn Small Linux, Knoppix and the Mini XP
    that is on Hiren's Boot Disk also work well.

    Again, As Gerard wrote, live CDs depend on RAM.
    More RAM means smoother, faster operation.
    However, other than that, a live CD and a flash
    drive is all you need to do all the basic stuff.
    I highly recommend you try Puppy as you'll likely
    be surprised by how well it works and how many
    applications can be had for only 105 MB.

    Bill Eitner, Nov 30, 2009
  5. jeremy

    AG Guest

    On Nov 30, 1:54 pm, Bill Eitner <> wrote:
    >         Where I work we often use bootable (aka live) CDs
    >         for troubleshooting.  Our favorite is Puppy Linux
    >         although Damn Small Linux, Knoppix and the Mini XP
    >         that is on Hiren's Boot Disk also work well.
    >
    >         Again, As Gerard wrote, live CDs depend on RAM.
    >         More RAM means smoother, faster operation.
    >         However, other than that, a live CD and a flash
    >         drive is all you need to do all the basic stuff.
    >         I highly recommend you try Puppy as you'll likely
    >         be surprised by how well it works and how many
    >         applications can be had for only 105 MB.
    > --
    >
    > Gerard Bok wrote:
    > > On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 17:31:16 -0800 (PST), jeremy
    > > <> wrote:

    > >> I need a CD that can boot up to a GUI environment and run a current
    > >> generation web browser on a PC that has NO hard drive installed at
    > >> all.
    > >>  NONE.

    > >> Is this possible?  Will "Bart's PE" or any of the other "Boot CDs"
    > >> allow doing this?

    > > Sure. As long as there is sufficient RAM present in the machine.

    > > (Next to Windows boot CDs you can also look at some of the Linux
    > > variants. And apart from a boot CD you could also run stuff from
    > > a bootable USB stick.)

    To your list of Linux distributions I I would add Linux Mint.

    AG
    AG, Dec 2, 2009
  6. jeremy

    Bill Eitner Guest

    AG wrote:
    > On Nov 30, 1:54 pm, Bill Eitner <> wrote:
    >> Where I work we often use bootable (aka live) CDs
    >> for troubleshooting. Our favorite is Puppy Linux
    >> although Damn Small Linux, Knoppix and the Mini XP
    >> that is on Hiren's Boot Disk also work well.
    >>
    >> Again, As Gerard wrote, live CDs depend on RAM.
    >> More RAM means smoother, faster operation.
    >> However, other than that, a live CD and a flash
    >> drive is all you need to do all the basic stuff.
    >> I highly recommend you try Puppy as you'll likely
    >> be surprised by how well it works and how many
    >> applications can be had for only 105 MB.
    >> --
    >>
    >> Gerard Bok wrote:
    >>> Sure. As long as there is sufficient RAM present in the machine.
    >>> (Next to Windows boot CDs you can also look at some of the Linux
    >>> variants. And apart from a boot CD you could also run stuff from
    >>> a bootable USB stick.)

    > To your list of Linux distributions I I would add Linux Mint.
    >
    > AG

    I'm checkin' it out as we speak! I'm excited as I've never
    heard of it (which means it could be the one and only)!

    Where I work we've spent a serious amount of time testing
    Linux distributions. Debian, Puppy and Damn Small are the
    three that make us complete (currently--but we're always
    hoping to find that one perfect distribution). I feel
    compelled to mention Fedora as well. Personally, I like
    it better than Debian for full installations on hardware
    that is reasonably modern (P4 and later) that is going
    to end users as it's look and feel is more Windows and
    OS X-like in that it doesn't scroll a list of what it's
    doing--it just does it. Why it isn't one of our top picks
    is that it has a higher incidence of installation problems
    compared to Debian (in our experience).

    We've come to the conclusion that there is no one "best"
    operating system. All have their pros and cons. That
    includes NT-based Microsoft and Unix-based Apple operating
    systems.

    Upon further research we've come to the conclusion that
    Mint is a contender for the mainstream market. We're
    aware of it now and will test it accordingly.
    Bill Eitner, Dec 2, 2009
  7. jeremy

    Bill Eitner Guest

    AG wrote:
    > On Nov 30, 1:54 pm, Bill Eitner <> wrote:
    >> Where I work we often use bootable (aka live) CDs
    >> for troubleshooting. Our favorite is Puppy Linux
    >> although Damn Small Linux, Knoppix and the Mini XP
    >> that is on Hiren's Boot Disk also work well.
    >>
    >> Again, As Gerard wrote, live CDs depend on RAM.
    >> More RAM means smoother, faster operation.
    >> However, other than that, a live CD and a flash
    >> drive is all you need to do all the basic stuff.
    >> I highly recommend you try Puppy as you'll likely
    >> be surprised by how well it works and how many
    >> applications can be had for only 105 MB.
    >> --
    >>
    >> Gerard Bok wrote:
    >>> Sure. As long as there is sufficient RAM present in the machine.
    >>> (Next to Windows boot CDs you can also look at some of the Linux
    >>> variants. And apart from a boot CD you could also run stuff from
    >>> a bootable USB stick.)

    > To your list of Linux distributions I I would add Linux Mint.
    >
    > AG

    Not if you're looking for boot CDs.

    According to my research, Linux Mint is a full-on OS.
    By that I mean it's not a boot/live cd.

    We're talking about boot/live CDs here.

    With that in mind, Puppy will kick the shit out of mint.

    Mint is designed to compete with the big-boy full install
    distributions like (especially) Ubuntu.
    Bill Eitner, Dec 2, 2009