Question on access point modes

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by pfisterfarm, Apr 27, 2009.

  1. pfisterfarm

    pfisterfarm Guest

    I'm researching a little into wireless troubleshooting and I'm
    starting to get a little confused about the differences between
    several modes available on Cisco access points. The ones I'm looking
    at are:

    - monitor mode
    - sniffer mode
    - scanner mode

    I take it some allow client connections and some do not. And some look
    at all channels and some do not. Is sniffer mode and scanner mode the
    same thing?

    Also... some Cisco pages say that sniffer mode can only be used with
    Airopeek. But a Cisco Press book I'm reading says it operates with an
    Omnipeak, Airmagnet, or Wireshark server. Which is correct? Is there a
    Wireshark server?

    Thanks!

    pfisterfarm, Apr 27, 2009

  2. pfisterfarm

    alexd Guest

    pfisterfarm wrote:

    > Also... some Cisco pages say that sniffer mode can only be used with
    > Airopeek. But a Cisco Press book I'm reading says it operates with an
    > Omnipeak, Airmagnet, or Wireshark server. Which is correct? Is there a
    > Wireshark server?

    Book name? Page number?

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    20:26:14 up 143 days, 21:37, 2 users, load average: 0.13, 0.09, 0.07

    alexd, Apr 27, 2009

  3. pfisterfarm

    pfisterfarm Guest

    On Apr 27, 3:27 pm, alexd <> wrote:
    > pfisterfarm wrote:
    > > Also... some Cisco pages say that sniffer mode can only be used with
    > > Airopeek. But a Cisco Press book I'm reading says it operates with an
    > > Omnipeak, Airmagnet, or Wireshark server. Which is correct? Is there a
    > > Wireshark server?

    > Book name? Page number?

    It was CCNA Wireless Official Exam Certification Guide, chapter 11, p.
    203

    pfisterfarm, Apr 27, 2009