Question on 272 Measure Up test

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Jerry Mills, Jul 3, 2005.

  1. Jerry Mills

    Jerry Mills Guest

    I have a real problem with an answer I am seeing on a Measure Up practice
    test for 272. Basicly the question is

    "The company uses Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 to provide messaging and
    collaboration. All employees in the company use Outlook 2003. Tim needs to
    be able to access his e-mail messages when his laptop is not connected to
    the company's network. Tim tells you that another administrator created a
    personal folder for him, but he does not know how to use it. In the Graphic
    exhibit below, click the control that allows you to meet Tim's needs."

    The graphic is the email accounts list with the "Deliver new messages to"
    and it shows "Mailbox Tim Kim" which of course indicates he is using the
    mailbox on the server.

    The correct answer according to the sample test is to change that setting to
    the pst file on the hard drive.

    What ever happened to cached exchange in Outlook 2003? What they call the
    correct answer is something I consider a "worst practice". Using the pst on
    the C: drive eliminates any sharing that might be done with the calendar,
    not to mention the potential for data loss since most corporate environments
    do not back up local C: drives as a rule. Cached exchange mode meets the
    requirement quite nicely. I'm mainly just venting because the test marked
    me wrong on a question that I think they are wrong on. I certainly hope
    this question is one of those that won't show up on the "real" test.

    --

    Jerry

    http://spiderathome.blogspot.com/
    http://spider1.blogspot.com/
    Jerry Mills, Jul 3, 2005

  2. Jerry Mills

    Al Romanosky Guest

    Just curious - I may be wrong - "cache" indicates transfer to a folder on
    the hard drive (usually "offline" use) - so regarding "when his laptop is
    not connected to the company's network." - how does Tim access the "cache"?

    AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
    Myers, FL
    Al Romanosky, Jul 4, 2005

  3. Jerry Mills

    Jerry Mills Guest

    Al,
    Well, that's the point of the cache. It maintains a synched copy of the
    mailbox on the hard drive in an .ost file. When a laptop user travels, he
    can access Outlook in offline mode (it automatically connects to the locally
    stored .ost file) and work with email. Replies/new messages to send will sit
    in the Outbox until a connection to the Exchange server is made. Edits to
    other items (calendar, contacts etc) will be done within the cache and
    synched when reconnecting. The only data loss risk in this mode is to the
    data entered since the last synch vs the risk to the entire mailbox using the
    scenario in the question posed.
    --

    Jerry Mills
    http://spider1.blogspot.com/