    3.. ? CONFIG.SYS
    4.. ? AUTEXEC.BAT

    I don't understand this question, the answer is A, why?
    Fred Mathering, May 15, 2004

  2. On Sat, 15 May 2004 04:29:03 GMT, "Fred Mathering"
    <> wrote:

    >a.. Which Windows 9x file should be kept at a minimum size of 1KB?
    >
    > 1.. :) MSDOS.SYS
    > 2.. X USER.DATABASE
    > 3.. ? CONFIG.SYS
    > 4.. ? AUTEXEC.BAT
    >

    >I don't understand this question, the answer is A, why?

    I don't remember the full answer, but it's a requirement of MS, I
    think, and the file won't work reliably, at least, if the minimum size
    isn't observed. Sorry I don't remember the rationale.

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, May 15, 2004

  3. Thanks all!!

    Fred Mathering, May 15, 2004
  4. Fred Mathering

    MadDogH Guest

    To answer the question "Why was this ever set this way?" you have to take
    the WayBack Machine to a time prior to Windows 9x.

    In DOS, MSDOS.SYS was not just a text file - it was OS code, the same as
    IO.SYS. The MSDOS.SYS file was probably >1KB (I can't remember for sure,
    since it has been a while since I worked on a true DOS machine).

    When 9x came out, much of the original functions of MSDOS.SYS were rolled
    into IO.SYS. MS probably could have done away with MSDOS.SYS, except that
    there was a huge installed base of prog's that expected to see the file on
    the boot drive. Removing the file would have obsoleted those prog's. MS
    knew that would be enough to prevent many users from upgrading - so they
    left the file in for compatibility and changed its function from OS code to
    a "config" file.

    MadDogH, May 16, 2004