QUESTION: Neckstrap design for heavy cameras

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by BD, Nov 7, 2007.

  1. BD

    BD Guest

    Hey, all.

    I have a Canon 30D with a battery grip, and just ordered a 70-200 f/
    2.8L IS lens.

    I'm a little concerned about the overall weight of the setup. I've
    currently got a 70-200IS, and with the camera and that lens hanging
    around my neck I start really feeling it after only a little while.
    It's the pressure the strap puts on my neck that kind of adds up after
    not too long.

    It occurs to me that some kind of little harness setup, with straps
    hanging around a person's shoulders instead of around their neck,
    might make for an easier way to sling the camera while wandering
    around.

    I've also heard of folks jamming the tripod hook under their belt, and
    hanging the whole setup off their waist.

    Curious if anyone else has had any brilliant revelations to keep their
    necks from getting strained from carrying that kind of gear around.

    Thanks,

    BD

    BD, Nov 7, 2007

  2. BD

    Rich Guest

    Invest in Op/Tech straps

    Best money I ever spent

    Rich, Nov 7, 2007

  3. BD

    Mr. Strat Guest

    In article <>, BD
    <> wrote:

    > I have a Canon 30D with a battery grip, and just ordered a 70-200 f/
    > 2.8L IS lens.
    >
    > I'm a little concerned about the overall weight of the setup. I've
    > currently got a 70-200IS, and with the camera and that lens hanging
    > around my neck I start really feeling it after only a little while.
    > It's the pressure the strap puts on my neck that kind of adds up after
    > not too long.
    >
    > It occurs to me that some kind of little harness setup, with straps
    > hanging around a person's shoulders instead of around their neck,
    > might make for an easier way to sling the camera while wandering
    > around.
    >
    > I've also heard of folks jamming the tripod hook under their belt, and
    > hanging the whole setup off their waist.
    >
    > Curious if anyone else has had any brilliant revelations to keep their
    > necks from getting strained from carrying that kind of gear around.

    My 10D with BigED is probably about as heavy. I have Canon's
    "professional" strap, but almost never carry the camera around my neck.
    It's usually over the right shoulder with the camera behind my arm
    (keeps it discrete to avoid thievery). It's convenient to get the
    camera up to shooting position and my shoulder is much stronger than my
    neck.

    Mr. Strat, Nov 7, 2007
  4. BD

    Ken Hart Guest

    "BD" <> wrote in message
    > Hey, all.
    >
    > I have a Canon 30D with a battery grip, and just ordered a 70-200 f/
    > 2.8L IS lens.
    >
    > I'm a little concerned about the overall weight of the setup. I've
    > currently got a 70-200IS, and with the camera and that lens hanging
    > around my neck I start really feeling it after only a little while.
    > It's the pressure the strap puts on my neck that kind of adds up after
    > not too long.
    >
    > It occurs to me that some kind of little harness setup, with straps
    > hanging around a person's shoulders instead of around their neck,
    > might make for an easier way to sling the camera while wandering
    > around.
    >
    > I've also heard of folks jamming the tripod hook under their belt, and
    > hanging the whole setup off their waist.
    >
    > Curious if anyone else has had any brilliant revelations to keep their
    > necks from getting strained from carrying that kind of gear around.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > BD

    Wimp! I used to carry a KoniOmega Rapid M with potato masher flash for 3-5
    hours at weddings! Then I walked home, uphill both ways!

    Seriously, for the aforementioned camera, I had a wide strap with a
    home-made padded rigging at the neck. I also found it helpful to keep the
    strap under my shurt collar-- not much of a fashion statement, but it tended
    to keep the weight low, more on my shoulders than neck. I have seen straps
    sort of like what you describe-- kind of a backpack harness for in front, or
    maybe like the baby carriers in front. For all things photographic and
    off-beat, check Porter's Camera Store, located in Cedar Falls, Iowa. They
    have a huge catolog, well-illustrated. Their prices are retail, their
    service is good.

    Ken Hart, Nov 7, 2007
  5. BD

    Mr. Strat Guest

    In article <fgt3jo$djn$>, Ken Hart <> wrote:

    > Wimp! I used to carry a KoniOmega Rapid M with potato masher flash for 3-5
    > hours at weddings! Then I walked home, uphill both ways!

    I carried two Hasselblads, lenses, etc. in the aluminum Hasselblad case
    along with either a Norman 200B lighting system (with stands and
    tripod) or a Photogenic Flashmaster system.

    For a while, I dragged around a Pentax 6x7 with several lenses in a
    Quest vest along with a tripod.

    Mr. Strat, Nov 7, 2007
  6. BD

    Fred Lotte Guest

    In article
    <>,
    BD <> wrote:

    > Hey, all.
    >
    > I have a Canon 30D with a battery grip, and just ordered a 70-200 f/
    > 2.8L IS lens.
    >
    > I'm a little concerned about the overall weight of the setup. I've
    > currently got a 70-200IS, and with the camera and that lens hanging
    > around my neck I start really feeling it after only a little while.
    > It's the pressure the strap puts on my neck that kind of adds up after
    > not too long.
    >
    > It occurs to me that some kind of little harness setup, with straps
    > hanging around a person's shoulders instead of around their neck,
    > might make for an easier way to sling the camera while wandering
    > around.
    >
    > I've also heard of folks jamming the tripod hook under their belt, and
    > hanging the whole setup off their waist.
    >
    > Curious if anyone else has had any brilliant revelations to keep their
    > necks from getting strained from carrying that kind of gear around.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > BD

    I have a similar setup. Generally, I simply carry the lens, the
    camera goes where it goes. The strap is there to hold everything
    for short periods when I need both hand free like when I'm
    standing still and changing lenses.

    If I start backpacking or similar activity I no doubt will have
    to come up with a different stratagem. But, for now, just
    carrying the lens, with the camera attached, is sufficient.

    Someone mentioned carrying with the strap over your shoulder.
    I've done that too.

    --
    Fred Lotte

    Fred Lotte, Nov 7, 2007
  7. BD

    Paul Furman Guest

    Fred Lotte wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    > BD <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hey, all.
    >>
    >> I have a Canon 30D with a battery grip, and just ordered a 70-200 f/
    >> 2.8L IS lens.
    >>
    >> I'm a little concerned about the overall weight of the setup. I've
    >> currently got a 70-200IS, and with the camera and that lens hanging
    >> around my neck I start really feeling it after only a little while.
    >> It's the pressure the strap puts on my neck that kind of adds up after
    >> not too long.
    >>
    >> It occurs to me that some kind of little harness setup, with straps
    >> hanging around a person's shoulders instead of around their neck,
    >> might make for an easier way to sling the camera while wandering
    >> around.
    >>
    >> I've also heard of folks jamming the tripod hook under their belt, and
    >> hanging the whole setup off their waist.
    >>
    >> Curious if anyone else has had any brilliant revelations to keep their
    >> necks from getting strained from carrying that kind of gear around.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> BD

    > I have a similar setup. Generally, I simply carry the lens, the
    > camera goes where it goes. The strap is there to hold everything
    > for short periods when I need both hand free like when I'm
    > standing still and changing lenses.
    >
    > If I start backpacking or similar activity I no doubt will have
    > to come up with a different stratagem. But, for now, just
    > carrying the lens, with the camera attached, is sufficient.

    I don't like straps and Carry my Nikon 70-200 by the tripod mount upside
    down which is well balanced & comfortable. I have an old MF 300mm f/2.8
    beast which has it's own strap on the tripod mount and I must use that
    or my wrist aches pretty soon, even though it makes my neck ache too.

    Paul Furman, Nov 7, 2007
  8. BD

    Lew Guest

    "Ken Hart" <> wrote in message news:fgt3jo$djn$...

    > "BD" <> wrote in message
    >> Hey, all.
    >>
    >> I have a Canon 30D with a battery grip, and just ordered a 70-200 f/
    >> 2.8L IS lens.
    >>
    >> I'm a little concerned about the overall weight of the setup.

    (SNIP)

    > Wimp! I used to carry a KoniOmega Rapid M with potato masher flash for 3-5
    > hours at weddings! Then I walked home, uphill both ways!

    (SNIP)

    How they heck can you go both ways uphil??

    Lew, Nov 7, 2007
  9. BD

    BD Guest

    On Nov 7, 10:48 am, "Rich" <> wrote:
    > Invest in Op/Tech straps
    >
    > Best money I ever spent

    Brilliant.

    That bino/cam harness of theirs is just the idea. I bet I could even
    make one without too much hassle.

    Thanks!

    BD, Nov 7, 2007
  10. BD

    Jim Guest

    "Lew" <> wrote in message

    <big snip>
    > How they heck can you go both ways uphil??

    It is a joke...
    Jim

    Jim, Nov 7, 2007
  11. BD

    Frank Arthur Guest

    "Mr. Strat" <> wrote in message
    > In article <fgt3jo$djn$>, Ken Hart <> wrote:
    >
    >> Wimp! I used to carry a KoniOmega Rapid M with potato masher flash
    >> for 3-5
    >> hours at weddings! Then I walked home, uphill both ways!

    > I carried two Hasselblads, lenses, etc. in the aluminum Hasselblad
    > case
    > along with either a Norman 200B lighting system (with stands and
    > tripod) or a Photogenic Flashmaster system.
    >
    > For a while, I dragged around a Pentax 6x7 with several lenses in a
    > Quest vest along with a tripod.

    I used to carry my 8 x 10 camera with tripod, in a trot, uphill.
    Now I have trouble moving with my digital point & shoot on level
    ground.
    Wonder why?

    Frank Arthur, Nov 7, 2007
  12. BD

    Mr. Strat Guest

    In article <qnrYi.4742$>, Frank Arthur
    <> wrote:

    > I used to carry my 8 x 10 camera with tripod, in a trot, uphill.
    > Now I have trouble moving with my digital point & shoot on level
    > ground.
    > Wonder why?

    We're getting to be old geezers?

    Mr. Strat, Nov 7, 2007
  13. On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 10:16:34 -0800, BD <> wrote:

    >Hey, all.
    >
    >I have a Canon 30D with a battery grip, and just ordered a 70-200 f/
    >2.8L IS lens.
    >
    >I'm a little concerned about the overall weight of the setup. I've
    >currently got a 70-200IS, and with the camera and that lens hanging
    >around my neck I start really feeling it after only a little while.
    >It's the pressure the strap puts on my neck that kind of adds up after
    >not too long.
    >
    >It occurs to me that some kind of little harness setup, with straps
    >hanging around a person's shoulders instead of around their neck,
    >might make for an easier way to sling the camera while wandering
    >around.
    >
    >I've also heard of folks jamming the tripod hook under their belt, and
    >hanging the whole setup off their waist.
    >
    >Curious if anyone else has had any brilliant revelations to keep their
    >necks from getting strained from carrying that kind of gear around.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >BD

    The best method I ever found was to get the DSLR to P&S converter. It's
    available at retail outlets everywhere. Inexpensive too! Worth every penny. You
    might have to sacrifice some high-ISO quality but with the larger f/stops
    available for use at lower ISOs you won't even miss it.

    ObviousAnswers, Nov 7, 2007
  14. BD

    Charlie Self Guest

    On Nov 7, 1:16 pm, BD <> wrote:
    > Hey, all.
    >
    > I have a Canon 30D with a battery grip, and just ordered a 70-200 f/
    > 2.8L IS lens.
    >
    > I'm a little concerned about the overall weight of the setup. I've
    > currently got a 70-200IS, and with the camera and that lens hanging
    > around my neck I start really feeling it after only a little while.
    > It's the pressure the strap puts on my neck that kind of adds up after
    > not too long.
    >
    > It occurs to me that some kind of little harness setup, with straps
    > hanging around a person's shoulders instead of around their neck,
    > might make for an easier way to sling the camera while wandering
    > around.
    >
    > I've also heard of folks jamming the tripod hook under their belt, and
    > hanging the whole setup off their waist.
    >
    > Curious if anyone else has had any brilliant revelations to keep their
    > necks from getting strained from carrying that kind of gear around.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > BD

    I use the OpTech binoc/camera strap. No weight on the neck at all. I
    picked that up recently after carting two cameras around a race course
    for a few days brought out the worst in my arthritic neck. For by far
    the widest selection of straps, or almost anything else photogrpahic,
    take a look at bhphoto.com. Good company to deal with, immense
    catalogs. No ties, just a satisfied customer. Adorama has also done
    well by me,. as has Porter's, but the NYC stores are larger, carry
    more and generally offer lower prices.

    Charlie Self, Nov 8, 2007
  15. BD

    Jer Guest

    Rich wrote:
    > Invest in Op/Tech straps
    >
    > Best money I ever spent

    I second this motion. Op/Tech wrote the book while others just read it.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    Jer, Nov 8, 2007
  16. BD

    Allen Guest

    Frank Arthur wrote:
    > "Mr. Strat" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <fgt3jo$djn$>, Ken Hart <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Wimp! I used to carry a KoniOmega Rapid M with potato masher flash
    >>> for 3-5
    >>> hours at weddings! Then I walked home, uphill both ways!

    >> I carried two Hasselblads, lenses, etc. in the aluminum Hasselblad
    >> case
    >> along with either a Norman 200B lighting system (with stands and
    >> tripod) or a Photogenic Flashmaster system.
    >>
    >> For a while, I dragged around a Pentax 6x7 with several lenses in a
    >> Quest vest along with a tripod.

    > I used to carry my 8 x 10 camera with tripod, in a trot, uphill.
    > Now I have trouble moving with my digital point & shoot on level
    > ground.
    > Wonder why?

    If you were using an 8x10 view for out-of-studio, you are probably
    having trouble now because you are 130 years old.
    Allen

    Allen, Nov 8, 2007
  17. BD

    Ken Hart Guest

    "Lew" <> wrote in message

    > "Ken Hart" <> wrote in message news:fgt3jo$djn$...
    >>
    >> "BD" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hey, all.
    >>>
    >>> I have a Canon 30D with a battery grip, and just ordered a 70-200 f/
    >>> 2.8L IS lens.
    >>>
    >>> I'm a little concerned about the overall weight of the setup.

    > (SNIP)
    >
    >> Wimp! I used to carry a KoniOmega Rapid M with potato masher flash for
    >> 3-5 hours at weddings! Then I walked home, uphill both ways!

    > (SNIP)
    >
    > How they heck can you go both ways uphil??

    You obviously never had a long conversation with anyone who lived through
    the depression! ( Disclosure: I didn't live through the depression; my
    grandparents did.)

    Ken Hart, Nov 8, 2007
  18. BD

    Ken Hart Guest

    "Mr. Strat" <> wrote in message
    > In article <qnrYi.4742$>, Frank Arthur
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I used to carry my 8 x 10 camera with tripod, in a trot, uphill.
    >> Now I have trouble moving with my digital point & shoot on level
    >> ground.
    >> Wonder why?

    > We're getting to be old geezers?

    Speak for yourself, you old fart!
    (Disclaimer: I don't know for a fact that Mr Strat is an old fart, but if he
    can't carry an 8x10 camera and tripod trotting uphill....!)
    (Disclaimer #2: I think I've carried this joke far enough!)

    Ken Hart, Nov 8, 2007
  19. BD

    Mr. Strat Guest

    In article <fgu4oa$pfu$>, Ken Hart <> wrote:

    > Speak for yourself, you old fart!
    > (Disclaimer: I don't know for a fact that Mr Strat is an old fart, but if he
    > can't carry an 8x10 camera and tripod trotting uphill....!)
    > (Disclaimer #2: I think I've carried this joke far enough!)

    Actually, I am a relatively old fart (57) and have carried 4x5
    equipment around.

    Mr. Strat, Nov 8, 2007
  20. BD

    BD Guest

    > The best method I ever found was to get the DSLR to P&S converter. It's
    > available at retail outlets everywhere. Inexpensive too! Worth every penny. You
    > might have to sacrifice some high-ISO quality but with the larger f/stops
    > available for use at lower ISOs you won't even miss it.- Hide quoted text -

    I'll get right on that, then.

    BD, Nov 8, 2007