question: multiple images into one large image (like panorama stitching)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RJB, Jun 19, 2007.

  1. RJB

    RJB Guest

    Hola folks... I was hoping that someone here might be able to help me find
    what I am looking for. Just as you can take several images that were shot
    "side-by-side" and a program can stitch them together into one long
    panorama - I'm hoping that there is a similar program that can take a bunch
    of images taken of a subject and merge them into one larger image.

    It's hard to explain, and probably why I'm finding a hard time coming up
    with good search terms for google... but you know how you used to take a
    film camera, shoot a bunch of pictures of a large object from one spot and
    then tape them all together in a big collage type photo of that one big
    object? That's what I'm talking about.

    If anyone can mention an app that will automagically do this, or even
    suggest the proper search terms to find such a thing, I'd appreciate it.

    Toe.

    --
    My Site: http://www.rubbertoe.com

    RJB, Jun 19, 2007

  2. RJB

    frederick Guest

    Re: question: multiple images into one large image (like panoramastitching)

    http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html

    frederick, Jun 19, 2007

  3. RJB

    Dave Cohen Guest

    RJB wrote:
    > Hola folks... I was hoping that someone here might be able to help me find
    > what I am looking for. Just as you can take several images that were shot
    > "side-by-side" and a program can stitch them together into one long
    > panorama - I'm hoping that there is a similar program that can take a bunch
    > of images taken of a subject and merge them into one larger image.
    >
    > It's hard to explain, and probably why I'm finding a hard time coming up
    > with good search terms for google... but you know how you used to take a
    > film camera, shoot a bunch of pictures of a large object from one spot and
    > then tape them all together in a big collage type photo of that one big
    > object? That's what I'm talking about.
    >
    > If anyone can mention an app that will automagically do this, or even
    > suggest the proper search terms to find such a thing, I'd appreciate it.
    >
    > Toe.

    It's done by a photo editor and it doesn't have to be one that will
    empty your bank account.
    I use PhotoPlus, but any photo editor will suffice as long at it does
    layers. If I understand what it is you want, create a new empty canvas,
    fill with color of choice. Now open first picture as new file, select
    what you want, copy to clipboard and past as new layer. I can't resize a
    layer, so I use deform tool to select and resize/position/rotate pasted
    image. Repeat for remaining images. Other editors may require slightly
    different technique and there is usually more than one way to get a
    final result.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Jun 19, 2007
  4. RJB

    JC Dill Guest

    On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 16:48:06 -0400, "RJB" <>
    wrote:

    >Hola folks... I was hoping that someone here might be able to help me find
    >what I am looking for. Just as you can take several images that were shot
    >"side-by-side" and a program can stitch them together into one long
    >panorama - I'm hoping that there is a similar program that can take a bunch
    >of images taken of a subject and merge them into one larger image.
    >
    >It's hard to explain, and probably why I'm finding a hard time coming up
    >with good search terms for google... but you know how you used to take a
    >film camera, shoot a bunch of pictures of a large object from one spot and
    >then tape them all together in a big collage type photo of that one big
    >object? That's what I'm talking about.

    Autostitch:

    <http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html>

    jc

    JC Dill, Jun 19, 2007
  5. RJB

    Scott W Guest

    On Jun 19, 10:48 am, "RJB" <> wrote:
    > Hola folks... I was hoping that someone here might be able to help me find
    > what I am looking for. Just as you can take several images that were shot
    > "side-by-side" and a program can stitch them together into one long
    > panorama - I'm hoping that there is a similar program that can take a bunch
    > of images taken of a subject and merge them into one larger image.
    >
    > It's hard to explain, and probably why I'm finding a hard time coming up
    > with good search terms for google... but you know how you used to take a
    > film camera, shoot a bunch of pictures of a large object from one spot and
    > then tape them all together in a big collage type photo of that one big
    > object? That's what I'm talking about.
    >
    > If anyone can mention an app that will automagically do this, or even
    > suggest the proper search terms to find such a thing, I'd appreciate it.
    >
    > Toe.

    You might want to take a look at PTGui, a very good program, but it
    takes
    just a bit of work to learn how to use it.

    Scott

    Scott W, Jun 19, 2007
  6. RJB

    Rudy Lacchin Guest

    "RJB" <> wrote in message
    > Hola folks... I was hoping that someone here might be able to help me
    > find what I am looking for. Just as you can take several images that were
    > shot "side-by-side" and a program can stitch them together into one long
    > panorama - I'm hoping that there is a similar program that can take a
    > bunch of images taken of a subject and merge them into one larger image.

    Yeah, I think you mean you want to take a whole load of small pics of
    whatever and join them together so's they look like someone's face, yes?

    Autostitch won't do that.

    Dirk Djuga's "Retriever" does this - check http://www.djuga.net/. Also
    allows you to tweak colour settings, crop, resize, create thumbnails and
    detect duplicate pics.

    HTH,
    R.

    Rudy Lacchin, Jun 19, 2007
  7. RJB

    Rudy Lacchin Guest

    "RJB" <> wrote in message
    >> Hola folks... I was hoping that someone here might be able to help me
    >> find what I am looking for. Just as you can take several images that
    >> were shot "side-by-side" and a program can stitch them together into one
    >> long panorama - I'm hoping that there is a similar program that can take
    >> a bunch of images taken of a subject and merge them into one larger
    >> image.

    > Yeah, I think you mean you want to take a whole load of small pics of
    > whatever and join them together so's they look like someone's face, yes?

    If so, try Googling "photo mosaic".

    R.

    Rudy Lacchin, Jun 19, 2007
  8. RJB

    ray Guest

    On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 16:48:06 -0400, RJB wrote:

    > Hola folks... I was hoping that someone here might be able to help me find
    > what I am looking for. Just as you can take several images that were shot
    > "side-by-side" and a program can stitch them together into one long
    > panorama - I'm hoping that there is a similar program that can take a bunch
    > of images taken of a subject and merge them into one larger image.
    >
    > It's hard to explain, and probably why I'm finding a hard time coming up
    > with good search terms for google... but you know how you used to take a
    > film camera, shoot a bunch of pictures of a large object from one spot and
    > then tape them all together in a big collage type photo of that one big
    > object? That's what I'm talking about.
    >
    > If anyone can mention an app that will automagically do this, or even
    > suggest the proper search terms to find such a thing, I'd appreciate it.
    >
    > Toe.

    As I recall, panotools is not limited to pasting together in one
    direction, I believe it can handle a rectangular array as you describe.

    ray, Jun 20, 2007
  9. RJB

    RJB Guest

    tnx Re: question: multiple images into one large image (like panorama stitching)

    Thanks for all the replies... AutoStitch (and the programs that use their
    technology) are exactly what I was looking for.

    I think I was believing that it would have been so much of a different
    product, that I didn't really think to check with the existing panorama
    programs that are out there. I suppose it's correct though... it's still a
    panorama... not just strictly vertical or horizontal. :)

    Thanks again folks.

    Toe.

    --
    My Site: http://www.rubbertoe.com