    Telephone wires look broken up. A Nikon photo with 76k looks worse than
    a Sony CD with 64K. What is happening here? Why is the low resolution SO
    different between the two??? What don't I know. Strictly an amateur.
    ACP45, Jan 3, 2005

  2. ACP45

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 06:57:48 GMT, in rec.photo.digital ACP45
    <> wrote:

    >Taking pictures to use on a website....my Sony CD pictures taken in 640x
    >480 image size look good on the computer, e-mail well and look 4x6in
    >photos look good. (Low Resolution) Using my new Nikon 5400 with same low
    >resolution the same photos have a banding effect, a jagged edge effect.
    >Telephone wires look broken up. A Nikon photo with 76k looks worse than
    >a Sony CD with 64K. What is happening here? Why is the low resolution SO
    >different between the two??? What don't I know. Strictly an amateur.

    Sound like you have the Nikon set to too low a quality setting. Set it to
    fine to get the lowest level of compression. The banding you are seeing is
    a artifact of high compression.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com
    Ed Ruf, Jan 3, 2005

  3. ACP45

    Tom Monego Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    >Taking pictures to use on a website....my Sony CD pictures taken in 640x
    >480 image size look good on the computer, e-mail well and look 4x6in
    >photos look good. (Low Resolution) Using my new Nikon 5400 with same low
    >resolution the same photos have a banding effect, a jagged edge effect.
    >Telephone wires look broken up. A Nikon photo with 76k looks worse than
    >a Sony CD with 64K. What is happening here? Why is the low resolution SO
    >different between the two??? What don't I know. Strictly an amateur.

    Remember the camera takes the image at its highest resolution then down
    samples. Most cameras don't do this very well, best to shoot at a high res then
    downsample yourself in an image editor. Irfanview does this well. So does
    Photoshop, but for downsampling Irfanview is a lot less money (infinitly less).

    Tom
    Tom Monego, Jan 4, 2005