question , losing internet connection, router involved, xp and vistamachine, lynksis

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by KOS, Apr 22, 2011.

  1. KOS

    KOS Guest

    Hi
    I have a fairly simple set up with my PC.. I have a desktop that is
    directly connected to a Linksys Router... The desktop is running XP
    (older box)

    I run a laptop on vista wirelessly..

    My problem...Recently have been losing Internet connection,
    intermittantly... At first, I lost Internet so I immediately unplugged
    the Desktop from the router and went right into the modem supplied by
    the cable company.. Desktop was working fine.. So I was trying to see
    if its the Lynksys... I then went back to the Desktop to the router
    and rebooted the router and now it works..
    BUT, same thing happened - only I only lost Internet on Laptop and
    Iphone.... The Desktop PC was still getting an internet connection
    while hookedup to router.. BUT the laptop and iphone didnt get a
    connection.. THey could SEE the wireless but were unable to
    connect.... Anyone know what is happening?? I never have done anything
    with updates for the router... ANY help would be appreciated
    Thanks
    KOS

    KOS, Apr 22, 2011

  2. Re: question , losing internet connection, router involved, xp and vista machine, lynksis

    "KOS" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I have a fairly simple set up with my PC.. I have a desktop that is
    > directly connected to a Linksys Router... The desktop is running XP
    > (older box)
    >
    > I run a laptop on vista wirelessly..
    >
    > My problem...Recently have been losing Internet connection,
    > intermittantly... At first, I lost Internet so I immediately unplugged
    > the Desktop from the router and went right into the modem supplied by
    > the cable company.. Desktop was working fine.. So I was trying to see
    > if its the Lynksys... I then went back to the Desktop to the router
    > and rebooted the router and now it works..
    > BUT, same thing happened - only I only lost Internet on Laptop and
    > Iphone.... The Desktop PC was still getting an internet connection
    > while hookedup to router.. BUT the laptop and iphone didnt get a
    > connection.. THey could SEE the wireless but were unable to
    > connect.... Anyone know what is happening?? I never have done anything
    > with updates for the router... ANY help would be appreciated
    > Thanks
    > KOS

    Sounds like your router is on the fritz.

    First things first. Unplug the router from power. Plug it back in. This
    reboots the router.

    The computer that's connected via hardwire to the router works, is that
    right? If this machine works, then the modem is good. If the machine does
    not work, then take the wire from the modem and plug it directly into the
    machine. This will tell you if the modem is working or not. If the modem
    doesn't work, then you have connection issues with the provider or you have
    a bad modem. (You didn't say, but I'm assuming you have cable service, and
    the modem converts the cable to ethernet.) The cable comes into the modem,
    and a CAT5 comes out of the modem and into the router. The router has ports
    on the back, typically there are 5, one input and four outputs. Plug the
    CAT5 from the modem into the router input port. Connect the CAT5 from Port 1
    on the router output to the port on the back of your PC. This hardwire
    connection will work if the modem works and if the router has basic
    functionality.

    If this all works, then the next test is for the wireless.

    Your laptop(s) can see the router, you said, but cannot connect. Do they not
    connect because the router has a security code that needs to be input? The
    answer to this should be Yes. You want your router to be secured, else the
    neighbors can become broadband deadbeats and use their own wireless laptops
    to get internet access on your dime. There are security issues with an open
    router too, but the broadband deadbeat issue should be enough for you to
    secure your router. There are various security mechanisms -- WPA, WEP, and
    so on -- that can be employed. The problem here is that they are selectable
    by you, most of the time, and we have no way to know what might have been
    selected. WEP is a common security scheme, but it's not as secure as WPA.
    Both require access through a passkey that can be user defined, or is the
    MAC address of the router. Again, there's no way to determine this from
    here.

    If you can get basic wired internet access on your PC, you can also get
    wired acces via your laptop just to test that the laptop doesn't have
    something set that keeps it off of the internet. It's a good test, and all
    you need is any CAT5 cable. You could take the cable from your PC and use it
    on the laptop for a few minutes.

    If the wireless router still is locking you out, then you have to call your
    provider and ask them to help you get into it. I use my browser and go to
    192.168.1.1. This address should open your router too, but you will be
    prompted with a User Name and Password to make changes to the settings
    inside.

    Jeff Strickland, Apr 22, 2011

  3. KOS

    KOS Guest

    On Apr 22, 3:46 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
> [...]

    > Both require access through a passkey that can be user defined, or is the
    > MAC address of the router. Again, there's no way to determine this from
    > here.
    >
    > If you can get basic wired internet access on your PC, you can also get
    > wired acces via your laptop just to test that the laptop doesn't have
    > something set that keeps it off of the internet. It's a good test, and all
    > you need is any CAT5 cable. You could take the cable from your PC and useit
    > on the laptop for a few minutes.
    >
    > If the wireless router still is locking you out, then you have to call your
    > provider and ask them to help you get into it. I use my browser and go to
    > 192.168.1.1. This address should open your router too, but you will be
    > prompted with a User Name and Password to make changes to the settings

    Cable company.. Yes, Desktop direcftly to cable modem works... when go
    back to initial config, with desktop to router... Desktop does
    conneccft. BUT laptop and wireless devicce do not... they see
    connecftion but can not connect unless I reboot router then okay..
    Nothing to do with wep etc... been using system for over 2 years with
    no probs, thanks

    KOS, Apr 22, 2011
  4. KOS

    Kele Guest

    Re: question , losing internet connection, router involved, xp and vista machine, lynksis

    What helped me to get my wireless computer & router talking was to connect
    the wireless laptop to the router via a cable (Ethernet). It works perfect.
    Then disconnect the Ethernet (hardwired) cable from the wireless laptop and
    they communicate. When hard wired, the router sees the wireless laptop as a
    home user (and not a hacker) and automatically configures the passwords,
    etc. to work. Then when the wireless laptop is physically disconnected, it
    retains the settings and they keep talking wirelessly.

    Your problem sounds intermittent like maybe the radio strength falls off
    after initial reboot. Something hogging the bandwidth lowers my wireless
    device connection strength too.

    -------------

    Kele, Apr 22, 2011
  5. Re: question , losing internet connection, router involved, xp and vista machine, lynksis

    "KOS" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > you need is any CAT5 cable. You could take the cable from your PC and use
    > it
    > on the laptop for a few minutes.
    >
    > If the wireless router still is locking you out, then you have to call
    > your
    > provider and ask them to help you get into it. I use my browser and go to
    > 192.168.1.1. This address should open your router too, but you will be
    > prompted with a User Name and Password to make changes to the settings
    > inside.- Hide quoted text -

    Cable company.. Yes, Desktop direcftly to cable modem works... when go
    back to initial config, with desktop to router... Desktop does
    conneccft. BUT laptop and wireless devicce do not... they see
    connecftion but can not connect unless I reboot router then okay..
    Nothing to do with wep etc... been using system for over 2 years with

    ==============

    Sounds like the router is dropping. If you hardwire the laptop to the router
    with a CAT5 cable, does it still drop? Sounds like a wireless issue...

    ==============

    Jeff Strickland, Apr 23, 2011
  6. Re: question , losing internet connection, router involved, xp and vista machine, lynksis

    "Kele" <> wrote in message
    > What helped me to get my wireless computer & router talking was to connect
    > the wireless laptop to the router via a cable (Ethernet). It works
    > perfect.
    > Then disconnect the Ethernet (hardwired) cable from the wireless laptop
    > and
    > they communicate. When hard wired, the router sees the wireless laptop as
    > home user (and not a hacker) and automatically configures the passwords,
    > etc. to work. Then when the wireless laptop is physically disconnected,
    > it
    > retains the settings and they keep talking wirelessly.
    >
    > Your problem sounds intermittent like maybe the radio strength falls off
    > after initial reboot. Something hogging the bandwidth lowers my wireless
    > device connection strength too.

    This last part is what I'm thinking as well. The radio is dropping out.

    Jeff Strickland, Apr 23, 2011