QUESTION: Looking for 'artificial glint' for photos of glass

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by BD, Jul 4, 2006.

  1. BD

    BD Guest

    Hey, all.

    I was recently asked to shoot a series of glass trophies, for a
    website.

    I staged them on some black satin-y fabric, and the results were
    decent.

    The fellow who asked me to do the shoot said he'd love to have that
    'glint' or 'sparkle' effect in the corners of some of the glass.

    I don't have the required filters for my camera, but if I could track
    down samples of that effect, I'm sure I could layer them into the
    source image.

    Anyone know where I could find some stock shots of that kind of
    sparkle/glint effect?

    I googled stuff like 'glass glint' and 'crystal sparkle', but have thus
    far struck out.

    Thanks!!

    BD, Jul 4, 2006

  2. BD wrote:
    > Hey, all.
    >
    > I was recently asked to shoot a series of glass trophies, for a
    > website.
    >
    > I staged them on some black satin-y fabric, and the results were
    > decent.
    >
    > The fellow who asked me to do the shoot said he'd love to have that
    > 'glint' or 'sparkle' effect in the corners of some of the glass.
    >
    > I don't have the required filters for my camera, but if I could track
    > down samples of that effect, I'm sure I could layer them into the
    > source image.
    >
    > Anyone know where I could find some stock shots of that kind of
    > sparkle/glint effect?
    >
    > I googled stuff like 'glass glint' and 'crystal sparkle', but have
    > thus far struck out.
    >
    > Thanks!!

    I don't know where to find sample photos but in the event you don't
    know, you need a strong point source (with no diffusion) of light to get the
    glint (you may want other lights to provide general lighting) and the use of
    a star cross filter may provide some additional interest.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    Joseph Meehan, Jul 4, 2006

  3. BD

    frederick Guest

    BD wrote:
    > Hey, all.
    >
    > I was recently asked to shoot a series of glass trophies, for a
    > website.
    >
    > I staged them on some black satin-y fabric, and the results were
    > decent.
    >
    > The fellow who asked me to do the shoot said he'd love to have that
    > 'glint' or 'sparkle' effect in the corners of some of the glass.
    >
    > I don't have the required filters for my camera, but if I could track
    > down samples of that effect, I'm sure I could layer them into the
    > source image.
    >
    > Anyone know where I could find some stock shots of that kind of
    > sparkle/glint effect?
    >
    > I googled stuff like 'glass glint' and 'crystal sparkle', but have thus
    > far struck out.
    >
    > Thanks!!

    You could use Light Effects filters in Gimp (GPL - freeware) which
    offers a range of effects. Might take a little playing around with to
    get the exact effect that you want. Two filters that might do the trick
    for you are:
    "Sparkle" effect that will apply (sorry if this sounds obvious) a
    sparkle effect with user selectable colour, intensity, no. of points
    length etc to highlights in an entire image or selected area of an
    image. Similar effect to using a filter.
    Alternatively the "GFlare" tool to apply a sparkle/lens flare effect to
    a single user selectable point.

    frederick, Jul 4, 2006
  4. "BD" <> wrote in message
    > Hey, all.
    >
    > I was recently asked to shoot a series of glass trophies, for a
    > website.
    >
    > I staged them on some black satin-y fabric, and the results were
    > decent.
    >
    > The fellow who asked me to do the shoot said he'd love to have that
    > 'glint' or 'sparkle' effect in the corners of some of the glass.
    >
    > I don't have the required filters for my camera, but if I could track
    > down samples of that effect, I'm sure I could layer them into the
    > source image.
    >
    > Anyone know where I could find some stock shots of that kind of
    > sparkle/glint effect?
    >
    > I googled stuff like 'glass glint' and 'crystal sparkle', but have thus
    > far struck out.

    In the old fashioned film days we would have white reflectore (or black
    gobos on a white background) outside the image frame to define the glass
    edges. You could kick a white LED flashlight to add a sparkle where you
    wanted one.

    Darrell Larose, Jul 5, 2006
  5. BD

    BD Guest

    > I don't know where to find sample photos but in the event you don't
    > know, you need a strong point source (with no diffusion) of light to get the
    > glint (you may want other lights to provide general lighting) and the use of
    > a star cross filter may provide some additional interest.

    Yes, that would make sense. Sadly, I had no time to secure any specific
    lighting. Nor do I have any filters that would have done the trick.

    So I'm hoping to find a sample of the effect, and see if I can layer it
    in with Photoshop.

    If not, no biggie. ;)

    BD, Jul 5, 2006
  6. Derek Fountain, Jul 5, 2006