    add and is the only with black check marks that I can edit. Can
    someone please help me out? This is driving me insane. TIA If I'm the
    only user why the 4 names? What the hell name should I use?
    Fu Schnickens, Apr 22, 2007

  2. Fu Schnickens

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Fu Schnickens" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm having a nightmare with all this ownership/possession stuff. I am
    > the only user of this PC. I've tried to follow these instructions:
    >
    > http://paulstamatiou.com/2007/02/09/how-to-quickie-vista-permissions/
    >
    > I've tried and tried and keep getting I need permission message. I
    > took ownership of the file and thought I gave myself permission but
    > the same message. These are the names listed under permission entries:
    >
    > Users (MyName-PC)\Users)
    > My Name (MyName-PC\MyName)
    > SYSTEM
    > Administrators (MyName-PC\Administrators)

    Typical.

    > All have Full Control. Why all these names if I'm the only user?

    You really don't want to know all the details. The non-techie, abbreviated
    info is that it has to do with groups. There's a User group (you're in
    that), there's an Administrators group (you're in that), there's you, as a
    user, and there's System (the OS itself needs permissions to do it's thing.)

    > When
    > I look under security and permissions for system the 2nd, 3rd & 4th
    > names all have greyed check marks under allow. The 1st one I had to
    > add and is the only with black check marks that I can edit. Can
    > someone please help me out? This is driving me insane. TIA If I'm the
    > only user why the 4 names? What the hell name should I use?

    What "the hell" are you trying to do? It is impossible to tell you what to
    do if you don't tell anyone what you want to do.
    WhzzKdd, Apr 22, 2007

  3. On Apr 22, 11:29 am, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    > "Fu Schnickens" <> wrote in message

    > > I'm having a nightmare with all this ownership/possession stuff. I am
    > > the only user of this PC. I've tried to follow these instructions:

    > >http://paulstamatiou.com/2007/02/09/how-to-quickie-vista-permissions/

    > > I've tried and tried and keep getting I need permission message. I
    > > took ownership of the file and thought I gave myself permission but
    > > the same message. These are the names listed under permission entries:

    > > Users (MyName-PC)\Users)
    > > My Name (MyName-PC\MyName)
    > > SYSTEM
    > > Administrators (MyName-PC\Administrators)

    > Typical.
    >
    > > All have Full Control. Why all these names if I'm the only user?

    > You really don't want to know all the details. The non-techie, abbreviated
    > info is that it has to do with groups. There's a User group (you're in
    > that), there's an Administrators group (you're in that), there's you, as a
    > user, and there's System (the OS itself needs permissions to do it's thing.)
    >
    > > When
    > > I look under security and permissions for system the 2nd, 3rd & 4th
    > > names all have greyed check marks under allow. The 1st one I had to
    > > add and is the only with black check marks that I can edit. Can
    > > someone please help me out? This is driving me insane. TIA If I'm the
    > > only user why the 4 names? What the hell name should I use?

    > What "the hell" are you trying to do? It is impossible to tell you what to
    > do if you don't tell anyone what you want to do.

    I'm trying to swap out the slmgr.vbs file in the system32 folder. I
    need to gain ownership & give myself permission in order to swap out
    the file.
    Fu Schnickens, Apr 22, 2007
  4. Fu Schnickens

    > On Apr 22, 11:29 am, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    >> "Fu Schnickens" <> wrote in message

    >> > I'm having a nightmare with all this ownership/possession stuff. I am
    >> > the only user of this PC. I've tried to follow these instructions:

    >> >http://paulstamatiou.com/2007/02/09/how-to-quickie-vista-permissions/

    >> > I've tried and tried and keep getting I need permission message. I
    >> > took ownership of the file and thought I gave myself permission but
    >> > the same message. These are the names listed under permission entries:

    >> > Users (MyName-PC)\Users)
    >> > My Name (MyName-PC\MyName)
    >> > SYSTEM
    >> > Administrators (MyName-PC\Administrators)

    >> Typical.
    >>
    >> > All have Full Control. Why all these names if I'm the only user?

    >> You really don't want to know all the details. The non-techie,
    >> abbreviated
    >> info is that it has to do with groups. There's a User group (you're in
    >> that), there's an Administrators group (you're in that), there's you, as
    >> user, and there's System (the OS itself needs permissions to do it's
    >> thing.)
    >>
    >> > When
    >> > I look under security and permissions for system the 2nd, 3rd & 4th
    >> > names all have greyed check marks under allow. The 1st one I had to
    >> > add and is the only with black check marks that I can edit. Can
    >> > someone please help me out? This is driving me insane. TIA If I'm the
    >> > only user why the 4 names? What the hell name should I use?

    >> What "the hell" are you trying to do? It is impossible to tell you what
    >> do if you don't tell anyone what you want to do.

    > I'm trying to swap out the slmgr.vbs file in the system32 folder. I
    > need to gain ownership & give myself permission in order to swap out
    > the file.

    Why?
    WhzzKdd, Apr 22, 2007
  5. Fu Schnickens

    > On Apr 22, 11:29 am, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    >> "Fu Schnickens" <> wrote in message

    >> > I'm having a nightmare with all this ownership/possession stuff. I am
    >> > the only user of this PC. I've tried to follow these instructions:

    >> >http://paulstamatiou.com/2007/02/09/how-to-quickie-vista-permissions/

    >> > I've tried and tried and keep getting I need permission message. I
    >> > took ownership of the file and thought I gave myself permission but
    >> > the same message. These are the names listed under permission entries:

    >> > Users (MyName-PC)\Users)
    >> > My Name (MyName-PC\MyName)
    >> > SYSTEM
    >> > Administrators (MyName-PC\Administrators)

    >> Typical.
    >>
    >> > All have Full Control. Why all these names if I'm the only user?

    >> You really don't want to know all the details. The non-techie,
    >> abbreviated
    >> info is that it has to do with groups. There's a User group (you're in
    >> that), there's an Administrators group (you're in that), there's you, as
    >> user, and there's System (the OS itself needs permissions to do it's
    >> thing.)
    >>
    >> > When
    >> > I look under security and permissions for system the 2nd, 3rd & 4th
    >> > names all have greyed check marks under allow. The 1st one I had to
    >> > add and is the only with black check marks that I can edit. Can
    >> > someone please help me out? This is driving me insane. TIA If I'm the
    >> > only user why the 4 names? What the hell name should I use?

    >> What "the hell" are you trying to do? It is impossible to tell you what
    >> do if you don't tell anyone what you want to do.

    > I'm trying to swap out the slmgr.vbs file in the system32 folder. I
    > need to gain ownership & give myself permission in order to swap out
    > the file.

    So you're trying to hack Vista to render the activation process unnecessary?
    Sorry. Won't help.
    WhzzKdd, Apr 22, 2007
  6. he is using an unauthorized OEM copy, and wants to activate it...

    ""Install the OEM certificate matching your OEM selection during driver
    installation by running

    SLMGR.VBS -ilc <OEMNAME>.XRM-MS

    (e.g. "SLMGR.VBS -ilc C:\ASUS.XRM-MS" if you chose to install the default
    driver and extracted
    the certificate file to C:\)

    Note that this operation might take quite a while depending on your
    system, so be patient.

    5. Install an OEM product key matching the installed edition of Windows
    Vista x86 by running

    SLMGR.VBS -ipk <OEM_PRODUCT_KEY>"

    Christopher Syn, Apr 22, 2007