Question for the tecnically savvy about Telecom broadband splitters

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by John S, Dec 7, 2006.

  1. John S

    John S Guest

    In preparing to move from dial-up to broadband I'm trying to plan for the
    wiring changes needed in my home, and I'm going to need one of the
    hard-wired Telecom broadband splitters (I have an internal 4-line exchange
    with automatic switching to fax and answer machine and I want to put a
    filter on the line side of the exchange).

    Some time ago I recall reading somewhere that these splitters are hard to
    come by, as only Telecom supplies them, and I don't feel like paying $150
    for a technician to supply a box worth just a few dollars.

    Any information about alternative sources, or has Telecom retained its sole
    supply position?
    I think the once-suggested solution was to talk to a friendly Telecom
    installer, but unfortunately I don't know any.

    Anyone know if the hard-wired version is functionally the same as the
    plug-in units which you can use at individual phone jacks, or does the
    Telecom hard-wired unit contain additional componentry?

    Cheers,

    John S
    John S, Dec 7, 2006

  2. John S

    whome Guest

    "John S" <> wrote in message
    > In preparing to move from dial-up to broadband I'm trying to plan for the
    > wiring changes needed in my home, and I'm going to need one of the
    > hard-wired Telecom broadband splitters (I have an internal 4-line exchange
    > with automatic switching to fax and answer machine and I want to put a
    > filter on the line side of the exchange).
    >
    > Some time ago I recall reading somewhere that these splitters are hard to
    > come by, as only Telecom supplies them, and I don't feel like paying $150
    > for a technician to supply a box worth just a few dollars.
    >
    > Any information about alternative sources, or has Telecom retained its
    > sole
    > supply position?
    > I think the once-suggested solution was to talk to a friendly Telecom
    > installer, but unfortunately I don't know any.
    >
    > Anyone know if the hard-wired version is functionally the same as the
    > plug-in units which you can use at individual phone jacks, or does the
    > Telecom hard-wired unit contain additional componentry?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > John S

    You realise if you do this yourself, anytime you ring your service provider
    with ADSL probs they will blame your wiring. And , problems are frequent
    enough.
    whome, Dec 7, 2006

  3. John S

    Greg Guest

    Your local electrical trade supply store should have them, they are
    rather chunky, about the size of a clamshell cell phone. about $60

    Greg

    Greg, Dec 7, 2006
  4. John S

    peterwn Guest

    whome wrote:

    > You realise if you do this yourself, anytime you ring your service provider
    > with ADSL probs they will blame your wiring. And , problems are frequent
    > enough.

    If you have an all 2-wire system and stick the thing as near to demarc.
    as possible, it is very unlikely you will have a problem.

    I tried to help out a friend with getting DSL going, made sure that
    phones were either unplugged or filters fitted - assured me that all
    jackpoints were accounted for. Still did not work. Finally she got a
    technician who found another jackpoint and phone she forgot about.

    If I had more time (I was busy at the time) I would have 'broken' the
    wiring as near to demarc. as possible and fastened a temporary
    jackpoint (I would use an old type 'slave' one) to the end then check
    for broadband.
    peterwn, Dec 7, 2006
  5. John S

    Crash Guest

    John S wrote:
    > In preparing to move from dial-up to broadband I'm trying to plan for the
    > wiring changes needed in my home, and I'm going to need one of the
    > hard-wired Telecom broadband splitters (I have an internal 4-line exchange
    > with automatic switching to fax and answer machine and I want to put a
    > filter on the line side of the exchange).
    >
    > Some time ago I recall reading somewhere that these splitters are hard to
    > come by, as only Telecom supplies them, and I don't feel like paying $150
    > for a technician to supply a box worth just a few dollars.
    >
    > Any information about alternative sources, or has Telecom retained its sole
    > supply position?
    > I think the once-suggested solution was to talk to a friendly Telecom
    > installer, but unfortunately I don't know any.
    >
    > Anyone know if the hard-wired version is functionally the same as the
    > plug-in units which you can use at individual phone jacks, or does the
    > Telecom hard-wired unit contain additional componentry?

    Its a bit more than that - for the $150 you get the splitter with the filtered
    side connected to your exchange while the unfiltered side is connected to a
    (usually new) telephone jack to which you can plug in your ADSL modem or router.

    While that may seem a bit steep it saves any arguments about the quality of the
    work done if your ADSL service proves to be substandard for any reason
    thereafter (such as frequent session terminates etc.).

    If you do get someone else in to do the work make sure that the filter has a
    visible telepermit.

    I had thought that I might be able to get Transfield (a Telecom contractor) to
    do the work directly for me but they are clearly not set up (i.e local/0800
    contact phone numbners etc., nor soliciting this sort of work on their website)
    for taking calls from all and sundry.

    Good luck,
    Crash.
    Crash, Dec 7, 2006
  6. John S

    d Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > Anyone know if the hard-wired version is functionally the same as the
    > plug-in units which you can use at individual phone jacks, or does the
    > Telecom hard-wired unit contain additional componentry?

    I believe it is.

    I just installed the incoming line to terminate on a master socket,
    plugged the splitter into it, and have voice / data going to their
    respective places.

    I plugged a BT plug terminated piece of cable, from the master socket,
    to my krone frame, to feed the property voice network.

    Makes fault troubleshooting a breeze.

    It's worked flawlessly for over 4 years now.

    D.
    d, Dec 7, 2006
  7. John S

    PeeCee Guest

    "John S" <> wrote in message
    > In preparing to move from dial-up to broadband I'm trying to plan for the
    > wiring changes needed in my home, and I'm going to need one of the
    > hard-wired Telecom broadband splitters (I have an internal 4-line exchange
    > with automatic switching to fax and answer machine and I want to put a
    > filter on the line side of the exchange).
    >
    > Some time ago I recall reading somewhere that these splitters are hard to
    > come by, as only Telecom supplies them, and I don't feel like paying $150
    > for a technician to supply a box worth just a few dollars.
    >
    > Any information about alternative sources, or has Telecom retained its
    > sole
    > supply position?
    > I think the once-suggested solution was to talk to a friendly Telecom
    > installer, but unfortunately I don't know any.
    >
    > Anyone know if the hard-wired version is functionally the same as the
    > plug-in units which you can use at individual phone jacks, or does the
    > Telecom hard-wired unit contain additional componentry?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > John S

    JA Russells had some the other day when I was in there, about $65-70 NZ.
    I havent swept any of these filters, but I suspect they may have better db
    'figures' and of course they are potted for moisture exclusion.

    Paul.
    PeeCee, Dec 7, 2006
  8. John S

    Kent Smith Guest

    "John S" <> wrote in message
    > In preparing to move from dial-up to broadband I'm trying to plan for the
    > wiring changes needed in my home, and I'm going to need one of the
    > hard-wired Telecom broadband splitters (I have an internal 4-line exchange
    > with automatic switching to fax and answer machine and I want to put a
    > filter on the line side of the exchange).
    >
    > Some time ago I recall reading somewhere that these splitters are hard to
    > come by, as only Telecom supplies them, and I don't feel like paying $150
    > for a technician to supply a box worth just a few dollars.
    >
    > Any information about alternative sources, or has Telecom retained its
    > sole
    > supply position?
    > I think the once-suggested solution was to talk to a friendly Telecom
    > installer, but unfortunately I don't know any.
    >
    > Anyone know if the hard-wired version is functionally the same as the
    > plug-in units which you can use at individual phone jacks, or does the
    > Telecom hard-wired unit contain additional componentry?

    I believe you can use single normal one to feed all your adsl jacks by
    splitting it after the filter. I haven't done it myself as I'm on cable
    broadband, a friend of mine has though.

    -KENT
    Kent Smith, Dec 7, 2006
  9. John S

    peterwn Guest

    PeeCee wrote:

    > JA Russells had some the other day when I was in there, about $65-70 NZ.
    > I havent swept any of these filters, but I suspect they may have better db
    > 'figures' and of course they are potted for moisture exclusion.

    Moisture could be a consideration. There was once a junction box for 3
    wire systems and IMO they were notorious for 'tracking' between
    terminations and causing phones to 'ring' continuously. had to deal
    with one of these at short notice and decided to immediately '2 wire'
    the whole system.
    peterwn, Dec 8, 2006
  10. John S

    cyril Guest

    The filters that Telecom install are made by MarqueMagnetics and
    compared to a simple micro filter they have both more poles thus better
    supression of adsl junk gets into your POTS circuits and POTS crap in
    your DSL circuit, and they have larger inductors therefore are less
    likely to saturate if you draw too much line current of ring current
    which would crimp ADSL service whilst a larger current is drawn.

    Both of these above properties dont seem to much of an issue in most
    connections. A single micro filter can be used to split off all the
    pots lines in your home as long as you dont have too many devices off
    hook at once and you are happy with the level of adsl crap in the ear
    peice (cant here any on mine) and your adsl service doesnt seem to
    alter its connection rate during ringing and calls. In my experience
    most simple micro filters are fine as a complete home filtering
    solution.

    Cyril
    cyril, Dec 8, 2006
  11. John S

    John S Guest

    On Thu, 7 Dec 2006 16:59:29 +1300, John S wrote:

    Just following up my own enquiry post here to say thanks for the
    suggestions.

    It's good to know that I can go out and buy the proper filter.

    The filter will only be feeding one telephone "device" - ie the 4-line
    telephone exchange, which simply switches the line to whichever phone needs
    to use it.

    Cheers,

    John S
    John S, Dec 8, 2006
  12. In message <>, peterwn
    wrote:

    > Finally she got a
    > technician who found another jackpoint and phone she forgot about.

    Out of curiosity, where was this "forgotten" phone? At the back of a disused
    storeroom or something? :)
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 8, 2006
  13. John S

    grum Guest

    "John S" <> wrote in message

    > Anyone know if the hard-wired version is functionally the same as the
    > plug-in units which you can use at individual phone jacks, or does the
    > Telecom hard-wired unit contain additional componentry?

    I'm almost certain the hard wired version is a more sophisticated filter
    than the plug in jobs (6th order vs 3rd order filter rings a bell (haha)).

    grum
    grum, Dec 10, 2006
  14. John S

    cyril Guest

    Was in MasterTrade today getting more bits for the lattest job, and I
    priced the MarqueMagnetics ADSL filter, here are the details.

    MasterTrade product code 297892, product desc MM-3200B, my trade price
    $55, walkin customer price between $65 to $70.

    This is the part that Telecom use, it is a Black epoxy cased part about
    the size of a matchbox, with two pair of wires labled line and phone.

    I have installed a few of these for customers over the last couple of
    years, however I also have installed in the same situations (ie single
    point filter splitting out full house POTS wiring and direct to ADSL)
    simple microfilters that I have removed from their plastic housing and
    soldiered suitable wires on so I can IDC attach to a 2wire socket and
    seperate out the POTS line. For all these simple home installations the
    performance of the micro filter was adequate for normal operation of
    both POTS and ADSL services. That said the MM-3200B will offer more
    filter performance and better DC current handling.

    So its a pays your moneies and take your pick situationl, is it worth
    the 5x cost, maybe if your on the end of ADSL service or its a
    commercial situations.

    Cyril
    cyril, Dec 11, 2006
  15. John S

    EMB Guest

    John S wrote:

    > Any information about alternative sources, or has Telecom retained its sole
    > supply position?

    You could try http://www.cables.co.nz - I'm fairly sure they had them at
    one stage. Don't battle their shitty website, phone them.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Dec 11, 2006
  16. John S

    John S Guest

    On 10 Dec 2006 22:22:16 -0800, cyril wrote:

    > Was in MasterTrade today getting more bits for the lattest job, and I
    > priced the MarqueMagnetics ADSL filter, here are the details.
    >
    > MasterTrade product code 297892, product desc MM-3200B, my trade price
    > $55, walkin customer price between $65 to $70.
    >
    > This is the part that Telecom use, it is a Black epoxy cased part about
    > the size of a matchbox, with two pair of wires labled line and phone.
    >
    > I have installed a few of these for customers over the last couple of
    > years, however I also have installed in the same situations (ie single
    > point filter splitting out full house POTS wiring and direct to ADSL)
    > simple microfilters that I have removed from their plastic housing and
    > soldiered suitable wires on so I can IDC attach to a 2wire socket and
    > seperate out the POTS line. For all these simple home installations the
    > performance of the micro filter was adequate for normal operation of
    > both POTS and ADSL services. That said the MM-3200B will offer more
    > filter performance and better DC current handling.
    >
    > So its a pays your moneies and take your pick situationl, is it worth
    > the 5x cost, maybe if your on the end of ADSL service or its a
    > commercial situations.
    >
    > Cyril

    Thanks Cyril, that's really useful to know.

    From your experience in "cannibalising" the simple micro filters, can you
    remember if there is any componentry between the line-in connection and the
    ADSL line-out to the computer (or is the feed to the computer just a
    straight through connection)?

    From your description of the MarqueMagnetics device (just two pairs of
    wires) I assume that the componentry is for filtering the POTS connection
    and that the computer line is connected straight across the incoming line?

    Cheers,

    John S
    John S, Dec 12, 2006
  17. John S

    cyril Guest

    None of the filters I have seen offer a HP section for the ADSL side.
    They are simply LP filters to go between the incoming line and all POTS
    devices. An ADSL modem always sits directly on the line, not via any
    filter section. From what I have seen of all ADSL analog input stages
    they have their own HP input filter to isolate themselves from lowband
    POTS energy.

    The filters are of a simple series input L and shunt C, thus they offer
    a high input impedance at ADSL frequencies (above 10kHz or so) so that
    POTS devices dont upset the line at ADSL frequencies.

    Cyril
    cyril, Dec 12, 2006