Question for someone CISSP certified.

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by RXP, Jan 28, 2004.

  1. RXP

    RXP Guest

    I understand that the CISSP certification requires various combinations of
    experience and education but I have a question concerning the experience
    requirement.

    Does the CISSP require you to have some specific experience or more broad
    experience in computer security?

    For example, I've been a system admin and a DBA for some years
    (multi-platform). Both or which required me to read, understand, and
    implement the company's computer security requirements. This included most
    everything from account management policy to performing audits, identifying
    data access needs, backups/recovery, disaster recovery, physical access to
    facilities, etc.

    Would this experience qualify me to become CISSP certified or are they
    looking for something specific? For example, do I have to prove that my work
    was specifically devoted to computer security?

    Thanks for any advise.

    RXP
    RXP, Jan 28, 2004

  2. RXP

    kulm_nd Guest

    http://www.isc2.org/cgi-bin/content.cgi?page=167 says:

    Professional experience includes:

    a.. Work requiring special education or intellectual attainment, usually
    including a liberal education or college degree.
    b.. Work requiring habitual memory of a body of knowledge shared with
    others doing similar work.
    c.. Management of projects and/or other employees.
    d.. Supervision of the work of others while working with a minimum of
    supervision of one's self.
    e.. Work requiring the exercise of judgement, management decision-making,
    and discretion.
    f.. Work requiring the exercise of ethical judgement (as opposed to
    ethical behavior).
    g.. Creative writing and oral communication
    h.. Teaching, instructing, training and the mentoring of others
    i.. Research and development
    j.. The specification and selection of controls and mechanisms (i.e.
    identification and authentication technology). (It does not include the mere
    operation of these controls.)
    k.. Applicable titles such as officer, director, manager, leader,
    supervisor, analyst, designer, cryptologist, cryptographer, cryptanalyst,
    architect, engineer, instructor, professor, investigator, consultant,
    salesman, representative, etc. Title may include programmer. It may include
    administrator except where it applies to one who simply operates controls
    under the authority and supervision of others. Titles with the words "coder"
    or "operator" are likely excluded.

    g-w

    kulm_nd, Jan 28, 2004