    Scoresby Guest

    Is there a viable alternative for Windows XP or the soon to be realised
    Windows Vista? (For the home user.) I mean, 100% viable??
    Scoresby, Nov 9, 2006

  2. Scoresby

    Evan Platt Guest

    On 9 Nov 2006 15:21:50 -0800, "Scoresby" <>
    wrote:

    >Is there a viable alternative for Windows XP or the soon to be realised
    >Windows Vista? (For the home user.) I mean, 100% viable??

    Your question is pretty vague....

    Generally speaking, sure.
    Evan Platt, Nov 9, 2006

  3. Scoresby

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 15:21:50 -0800, Scoresby Has Frothed:

    > Is there a viable alternative for Windows XP or the soon to be realised
    > Windows Vista? (For the home user.) I mean, 100% viable??

    I would say Ubuntu would be a great alternative.

    COOSN-266-06-25794
    Meat Plow, Nov 9, 2006
  4. Scoresby

    why? Guest

    On 9 Nov 2006 15:21:50 -0800, Scoresby wrote:

    >Is there a viable alternative for Windows XP or the soon to be realised
    >Windows Vista? (For the home user.) I mean, 100% viable??

    Too vague. Some distributions are preferred over others for different
    uses. Try http://www.ubuntu.com/ or for kids / education
    http://www.edubuntu.org/

    Me for some odd reason likes Fedora, http://fedora.redhat.com/ , won't
    mention the others :) too non beginners.

    Me
    why?, Nov 9, 2006
  5. Scoresby

    Scoresby Guest

    why? wrote:
    > On 9 Nov 2006 15:21:50 -0800, Scoresby wrote:
    >
    > >Is there a viable alternative for Windows XP or the soon to be realised
    > >Windows Vista? (For the home user.) I mean, 100% viable??

    > Too vague. Some distributions are preferred over others for different
    > uses. Try http://www.ubuntu.com/ or for kids / education
    > http://www.edubuntu.org/

    Vague? I mean, something that is as easy to use as windows, and will
    run all my current software without any complicated patching.
    Scoresby, Nov 10, 2006
  6. Scoresby wrote:

    > why? wrote:
    >> On 9 Nov 2006 15:21:50 -0800, Scoresby wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there a viable alternative for Windows XP or the soon to be
    >>> realised Windows Vista? (For the home user.) I mean, 100% viable??

    >> Too vague. Some distributions are preferred over others for
    >> different uses. Try http://www.ubuntu.com/ or for kids / education
    >> http://www.edubuntu.org/

    > Vague? I mean, something that is as easy to use as windows,

    The aforementioned Ubuntu is as easy to use as Windows. You type, you
    click a mouse. ;-)

    > and will run all my current software without any complicated patching.

    You want to run your *Windows* software from Linux? No, of course not.
    You use Linux applications. You will find a free comparable Linux
    application for everything you do while running Windows.

    http://www.linuxrsp.ru/win-lin-soft/table-eng.html

    (not going to mention Wine.)

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 10, 2006
  7. Scoresby

    Evan Platt Guest

    On 9 Nov 2006 16:01:48 -0800, "Scoresby" <>
    wrote:

    >Vague?

    Yes.

    > I mean, something that is as easy to use as windows,

    That depends on your level of expertise with Windows.

    >and will run all my current software without any complicated patching.

    None.

    Unix can EMULATE *SOME* Windows Apps (wine) but not all.
    Evan Platt, Nov 10, 2006
  8. Scoresby

    Tony Guest

    "Scoresby" <> wrote in message

    > why? wrote:
    >> On 9 Nov 2006 15:21:50 -0800, Scoresby wrote:
    >>
    >> >Is there a viable alternative for Windows XP or the soon to be realised
    >> >Windows Vista? (For the home user.) I mean, 100% viable??

    >> Too vague. Some distributions are preferred over others for different
    >> uses. Try http://www.ubuntu.com/ or for kids / education
    >> http://www.edubuntu.org/
    >>

    > Vague? I mean, something that is as easy to use as windows, and will
    > run all my current software without any complicated patching.

    Still too vague, you will need to say what software you are using at the
    moment. Some windows apps can run in Linux using wine but there are a
    plethora of free equivalent Linux programs. So if you say what you want to
    use, a more informed reply can be given.
    Tony, Nov 10, 2006
  9. Scoresby wrote:

    > why? wrote:
    >> On 9 Nov 2006 15:21:50 -0800, Scoresby wrote:
    >>
    >> >Is there a viable alternative for Windows XP or the soon to be realised
    >> >Windows Vista? (For the home user.) I mean, 100% viable??

    There is no "100%". Never.
    Mandriva, with current hardware, can give you "looks like vista" with
    transparency and even more (3d-Desktop).

    >> Too vague. Some distributions are preferred over others for different
    >> uses. Try http://www.ubuntu.com/ or for kids / education
    >> http://www.edubuntu.org/
    >>

    > Vague? I mean, something that is as easy to use as windows, and will
    > run all my current software without any complicated patching.

    No. Linux is not windows, and it should not / can not / must not be a
    plagiate of windows. You may find alternative software as well, and some of
    your software which you didn't specify also works in wine at emulation
    level.
    Just to tell, I use linux at workplace and it fits very well.
    Walter Mautner, Nov 10, 2006
  10. Scoresby

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-11-10, Scoresby <> wrote:

    > why? wrote:
    >> On 9 Nov 2006 15:21:50 -0800, Scoresby wrote:
    >>
    >> >Is there a viable alternative for Windows XP or the soon to be realised
    >> >Windows Vista? (For the home user.) I mean, 100% viable??

    >> Too vague. Some distributions are preferred over others for different
    >> uses. Try http://www.ubuntu.com/ or for kids / education
    >> http://www.edubuntu.org/
    >>

    > Vague? I mean, something that is as easy to use as windows,

    Yes, plenty. Mac OS X is probably the most obvious. Any of the 'big'
    Linux distros. Of course, only Windows is going to be 'as easy to use as
    Windows' until you realise that the first thing you have to do on using a
    different OS, is to forget the Windows way of doing things.

    > and will
    > run all my current software without any complicated patching.

    No. All your current software is designed to work on Windows, so all your
    current software will not run on any other operating system at all. The
    exceptions would be those programs for which versions exist for other
    operating systems, of course, but as a general broad-sweep summary of the
    situation, Windows programs are for Windows, Mac programs are for Mac,
    Linux programs are for Linux, etc.

    That is not to say that equivalent or better programs aren't available for
    other OSs. Just that you can't expect any of your current programs to
    work on anything other than your current OS.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Nov 10, 2006
  11. Scoresby

    why? Guest

    On 9 Nov 2006 16:01:48 -0800, Scoresby wrote:

    >why? wrote:
    >> On 9 Nov 2006 15:21:50 -0800, Scoresby wrote:
    >>
    >> >Is there a viable alternative for Windows XP or the soon to be realised
    >> >Windows Vista? (For the home user.) I mean, 100% viable??

    >> Too vague. Some distributions are preferred over others for different
    >> uses. Try http://www.ubuntu.com/ or for kids / education
    >> http://www.edubuntu.org/
    >>

    >Vague? I mean, something that is as easy to use as windows, and will
    >run all my current software without any complicated patching.

    Yep vague, do you have lots of USB stuff, scanners, cameras, do you do a
    lot of video editing, music, cd,dvd burning. It's still a bit that way.

    Or maybe you just use newsgroups / email and a bit of word processing.

    Me
    why?, Nov 10, 2006
  12. Scoresby

    Scoresby Guest

    why? wrote:
    > On 9 Nov 2006 16:01:48 -0800, Scoresby wrote:
    >

    > >why? wrote:

    > >> Too vague. Some distributions are preferred over others for different
    > >> uses. Try http://www.ubuntu.com/ or for kids / education
    > >> http://www.edubuntu.org/
    > >>

    > >Vague? I mean, something that is as easy to use as windows, and will
    > >run all my current software without any complicated patching.

    > Yep vague, do you have lots of USB stuff, scanners, cameras, do you do a
    > lot of video editing, music, cd,dvd burning. It's still a bit that way.

    WOW, vague seems to be the key word with nix users today!!! I do
    everything. I mean everything with my PC.

    That's why I said "100% viable". I.E. 100% - absolutely EVERYTHING that
    windows does and was desinged to do for a home user. Am I still being
    vague?
    Scoresby, Nov 10, 2006
  13. Scoresby wrote:

    > why? wrote:

    >>> Vague? I mean, something that is as easy to use as windows, and
    >>> will run all my current software without any complicated patching.

    >> Yep vague, do you have lots of USB stuff, scanners, cameras, do you
    >> do a lot of video editing, music, cd,dvd burning. It's still a bit
    >> that way.

    > WOW, vague seems to be the key word with nix users today!!! I do
    > everything. I mean everything with my PC.

    If you would only take a moment and list some of the things you actually
    do with your Windows PC... "everything" is vague. "Everything" to you,
    to me, to my 87-year-old mother mean three different things. Try
    something like:

    I do email.
    I do Usenet using Google Groups instead of a real newsreader.
    I do spreadsheets using Microsoft Excel.
    I play Minesweeper.
    I surf the World Wide Web.
    I take digital movies and manipulate them.
    I write word processing documents.
    I develop Visual FoxPro applications.
    I do online chat with old ladies in Sweden.

    > That's why I said "100% viable". I.E. 100% - absolutely EVERYTHING
    > that windows does and was desinged to do for a home user. Am I still
    > being vague?

    Yes. Will you reply with even more vague statements?

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 10, 2006
  14. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Scoresby wrote:

    >> WOW, vague seems to be the key word with nix users today!!! I do
    >> everything. I mean everything with my PC.

    > If you would only take a moment and list some of the things you actually
    > do with your Windows PC... "everything" is vague. "Everything" to you,
    > to me, to my 87-year-old mother mean three different things. Try
    > something like:
    >
    > I do email.
    > I do Usenet using Google Groups instead of a real newsreader.

    :)

    <snip trying to make sense with a Google Grouper>

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Nov 10, 2006
  15. Scoresby

    why? Guest

    On 10 Nov 2006 10:08:37 -0800, Scoresby wrote:

    >why? wrote:

    >> >Vague? I mean, something that is as easy to use as windows, and will
    >> >run all my current software without any complicated patching.

    >> Yep vague, do you have lots of USB stuff, scanners, cameras, do you do a
    >> lot of video editing, music, cd,dvd burning. It's still a bit that way.
    >>

    >WOW, vague seems to be the key word with nix users today!!! I do
    >everything. I mean everything with my PC.

    That's the point, what do you do with your PC?

    >That's why I said "100% viable". I.E. 100% - absolutely EVERYTHING that

    Means nothing.

    >windows does and was desinged to do for a home user. Am I still being
    >vague?

    Yes.

    Okay then, you want an answer, you won't get 100% because there is no
    equivalent command prompt. On *nix it's far superior.

    The things people do with the PCs are so odd.

    For example I use Perl/MRTG a lot works on both Win/*nix, Prefer Apache
    webserver on *nix but it works in Win as well. *nix better as FTP / mail
    / proxy / firewall server.

    Use Windows a lot for web page development, VBScript, however Javascript
    / Opera / Mozzy / FF all have Win and *nix versions. Windows has IE, so
    it's used for that.

    Windows - Mail / News / Multimedia / some development like Borland tools
    Linux - Development Perl / TCL/TK / Network diagnostics on Windows
    networks

    So there.

    Me
    why?, Nov 10, 2006
  16. Scoresby

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 18:45:29 GMT, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    >Scoresby wrote:
    >
    >> why? wrote:

    >>> Yep vague, do you have lots of USB stuff, scanners, cameras, do you
    >>> do a lot of video editing, music, cd,dvd burning. It's still a bit

    <snip>

    >If you would only take a moment and list some of the things you actually
    >do with your Windows PC... "everything" is vague. "Everything" to you,
    >to me, to my 87-year-old mother mean three different things. Try
    >something like:

    Is this a test?

    >I do email.

    For me, transfer my Netscape v4 email into Netscape 7.2
    >I do Usenet using Google Groups instead of a real newsreader.

    Pan

    >I do spreadsheets using Microsoft Excel.

    OpenOffice, except no VBA.

    >I play Minesweeper.

    Many versions to pick from

    >I surf the World Wide Web.

    Opera/Mozzy/Lynx

    >I take digital movies and manipulate them.

    Don't do that. Does that mean I failed? No not yet, film gimp or LiVES.

    >I write word processing documents.

    OpenOffice, except no VBA.

    >I develop Visual FoxPro applications.

    1 of the Windows emulations to run it in.

    >I do online chat with old ladies in Sweden.

    Guess there are lots chatting apps.

    why?, Nov 10, 2006
  17. Scoresby wrote:

    > WOW, vague seems to be the key word with nix users today!!! I do
    > everything. I mean everything with my PC.

    Hmmm .... you won't get a linux pc to assist you with "everything" if
    everyting means "f*ck it up with viruses and trojans" or "play the new
    napster drm songs" ...

    > That's why I said "100% viable". I.E. 100% - absolutely EVERYTHING that
    > windows does and was desinged to do for a home user. Am I still being
    > vague?

    First: windows does almost NOTHING. You get some simple editor (even wordpad
    was dropped ...) and nothing at all for doing spreadsheets. Not even a
    secure shell is onboard. Just a user management that almost forces to add
    new users as admins, which is braindead, and e-mail/browser with weird
    settings and incompatible to common RFC standards.
    No, thanks.

    I use linux as a firewall/wlan access point/router/proxy server/virus
    scanner/fileserver for windows whilst
    - playing music or movies
    - chatting along
    - mailing, and wasting time in newsgroups :)
    - saving and editing digital camera pictures
    - doing the usual wordprocessing and spreadsheets
    - sometimes playing a simple game like tetris or tuxracer
    - burning cds and dvds from recorded tv broadcasts
    - browsing the evil web without fear

    At work I use it for
    - mailing/groupware with lotus notes, surfing google and whatever
    - ssh'ing, ftp'ing, wget'ing, even telnetting in and out everywhere
    - mounting unix shares, sharing the samba-dance with ldap
    - repairing MS office documents with openoffice
    - usual spreadsheets and docs
    - doing remote maintainence (remote desktop client, vnc)
    - running a caged windows as testbed

    and many more things you do not even want to know ...

    But then, I don't do it exactly like with windows. I do it more efficient,
    faster, secure and with much less stress.

    Walter Mautner, Nov 10, 2006
  18. Scoresby

    Evan Platt Guest

    wrote:

    >WOW, vague seems to be the key word with nix users today!!! I do
    >everything. I mean everything with my PC.

    I called your statement vague. I'm a Windows user first, linux user
    second.

    >That's why I said "100% viable". I.E. 100% - absolutely EVERYTHING that
    >windows does and was desinged to do for a home user. Am I still being
    >vague?

    Yes.

    You first said

    "and will run all my current software without any complicated
    patching."

    No version of linux will run 'all' of your current WINDOWS software.
    Evan Platt, Nov 11, 2006
  19. Scoresby

    Top Guest

    "Scoresby" <> wrote in

    >why? wrote:

    >> >Vague? I mean, something that is as easy to use as
    >> >windows, and will run all my current software without any
    >> >complicated patching.

    >> Yep vague, do you have lots of USB stuff, scanners,
    >> cameras, do you do a lot of video editing, music, cd,dvd
    >> burning. It's still a bit that way.
    >>

    >WOW, vague seems to be the key word with nix users today!!! I
    >do
    > everything. I mean everything with my PC.
    >
    >That's why I said "100% viable". I.E. 100% - absolutely
    >EVERYTHING that
    > windows does and was desinged to do for a home user. Am I
    > still being vague?

    I think the question I have had from all of this is what
    software are you using, aside from your OS of course?

    Top
    Top, Nov 13, 2006