Question for Linux Gurus

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Alex Axolotl, Nov 25, 2004.

  1. Alex Axolotl

    Alex Axolotl Guest

    Darkside wrote:

    > AD. wrote:
    >> On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 14:38:21 +1300, Collector»NZ wrote:
    >>

    >>>Being new to the dark side and just experimenting a bit I want to get my
    >>>head around the various iterations of Linux out there. Now I see all
    >>>sorts of names in relation to Linux, Free BSD, Redhat, Mandrake, Xandros,
    >>>Knoppix etc, but how do they all relate to one another.

    >> Feel free to ask more specific questions about certain distros if you
    >> like.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Anton

    > How do you dispose of an unresponsive app, the equivelent of windows
    > task manager?

    On your Launch menu it is Applications, System, Process Manager

    Alex Axolotl, Nov 25, 2004

  2. Being new to the dark side and just experimenting a bit I want to get my
    head around the various iterations of Linux out there.
    Now I see all sorts of names in relation to Linux, Free BSD, Redhat,
    Mandrake, Xandros, Knoppix etc, but how do they all relate to one another.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    his toes.

    Collector»NZ, Nov 26, 2004

  3. In article <> in nz.comp on Fri, 26 Nov 2004
    14:38:21 +1300, Collector»NZ <> says...
    > Being new to the dark side and just experimenting a bit I want to get my
    > head around the various iterations of Linux out there.
    > Now I see all sorts of names in relation to Linux, Free BSD, Redhat,
    > Mandrake, Xandros, Knoppix etc, but how do they all relate to one another..

    There are a few major distros (e.g. Debian) off which some of the others
    are variants.

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 26, 2004
  4. Alex Axolotl

    AD. Guest

    On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 14:38:21 +1300, Collector»NZ wrote:

    > Being new to the dark side and just experimenting a bit I want to get my
    > head around the various iterations of Linux out there. Now I see all sorts
    > of names in relation to Linux, Free BSD, Redhat, Mandrake, Xandros,
    > Knoppix etc, but how do they all relate to one another.

    All those you listed are distributions of Linux except for FreeBSD which
    is a completely different operating system.

    Linux is just the kernel. A distro will package up the kernel with an
    installer and a bunch of other utilities eg command line shells, file
    manipulation doodads, GUIs, updating and patching utilites etc. Each
    distro has a slightly different purpose and aims at a different audience.

    The kernel is pretty much useless without all the extra userland apps to
    drive it.

    A few years ago new distros tended to base themselves off Redhat (Mandrake
    being the most notable) as a starting point. Mandrakes original theme was
    a pentium compiled Redhat that bundled KDE.

    More recently though, Debian seems to be the distro that all the new ones
    are basing themselves off of - Knoppix, Ubuntu, Xandros(?) etc.

    Personally I think the move to basing distros off Debian is a good one.

    AD., Nov 26, 2004
  5. Alex Axolotl

    Alex Axolotl Guest

    Alex Axolotl, Nov 26, 2004
  6. Alex Axolotl

    BrianM Guest

    On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 14:38:21 +1300, Collector»NZ wrote:

    > Being new to the dark side and just experimenting a bit I want to get my
    > head around the various iterations of Linux out there. Now I see all
    > sorts of names in relation to Linux, Free BSD, Redhat, Mandrake,
    > Xandros, Knoppix etc, but how do they all relate to one another.

    There's a fair bit of info on this website

    http://distrowatch.com/

    cheers
    BM

    BrianM, Nov 26, 2004
  7. Alex Axolotl

    AD. Guest

    On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 15:56:41 +1300, Darkside wrote:

    > How do you dispose of an unresponsive app, the equivelent of windows task
    > manager?

    The ps command lists running processes, and the kill command can stop them.

    As for GUI ways, that will depend on the GUI and what's available. eg
    under KDE the System Monitor is pretty similar to Task Manager.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Nov 26, 2004
  8. Alex Axolotl

    Chris Hope Guest

    AD. wrote:

    > On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 15:56:41 +1300, Darkside wrote:
    >
    >> How do you dispose of an unresponsive app, the equivelent of windows task
    >> manager?

    > The ps command lists running processes, and the kill command can stop
    > them.
    >
    > As for GUI ways, that will depend on the GUI and what's available. eg
    > under KDE the System Monitor is pretty similar to Task Manager.

    On KDE you can also do Ctrl+Alt+Esc and the mouse pointer turns into a skull
    and crossbones. Click that on the app and it kills it immediately.

    The exact keyboard shortcut for this varies depending on the keyboard
    shortcut scheme you've chosen and whether or not you've customised them,
    but this is the KDE default. Other possibilities are:

    Winkey+Ctrl+Delete - KDE Default with windows key
    Alt+F9 - Unix scheme

    A few of the other schemes don't have this useful shortcut combination,
    including the MS Windows scheme.

    To modify the defaults KDE Button > Control Center > Regional &
    Accessibility > Keyboard Shortcuts. It's in the "Miscellaneous" section
    labelled "Kill Window"

    Chris Hope, Nov 26, 2004
  9. Alex Axolotl

    Allistar Guest

    Darkside wrote:

    > Alex Axolotl wrote:
    >> Darkside wrote:

    >>>How do you dispose of an unresponsive app, the equivelent of windows
    >>>task manager?

    >> On your Launch menu it is Applications, System, Process Manager

    > I am a twerp, i found that seconds after posting.
    > Now I am on the trail of performance issues, probably something I did,
    > but my KDE is slow.

    What distribution are you using?

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Nov 26, 2004
  10. Allistar said the following on 26/11/2004 18:10:
    > Darkside wrote:
    >

    >>Alex Axolotl wrote:

    >>>On your Launch menu it is Applications, System, Process Manager

    >>I am a twerp, i found that seconds after posting.
    >>Now I am on the trail of performance issues, probably something I did,
    >>but my KDE is slow.

    > What distribution are you using?
    >
    > Allistar.

    BAck to my normal windows box now, Using the latest dist from Xandros
    2.01 Open circulation.

    I have absolutely minimal exposure to linux so its all a learning curve
    with a step slope.

    I sort of expect to take a couple of weeks to get to real grips with it.

    I am most impressed with what I have seen so far thou and it has real
    promise.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    his toes.

    Collector»NZ, Nov 26, 2004
  11. Alex Axolotl

    Darkside Guest

    AD. wrote:
    > On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 14:38:21 +1300, Collector»NZ wrote:
    >

    >>Being new to the dark side and just experimenting a bit I want to get my
    >>head around the various iterations of Linux out there. Now I see all sorts
    >>of names in relation to Linux, Free BSD, Redhat, Mandrake, Xandros,
    >>Knoppix etc, but how do they all relate to one another.

    > All those you listed are distributions of Linux except for FreeBSD which
    > is a completely different operating system.
    >
    > Linux is just the kernel. A distro will package up the kernel with an
    > installer and a bunch of other utilities eg command line shells, file
    > manipulation doodads, GUIs, updating and patching utilites etc. Each
    > distro has a slightly different purpose and aims at a different audience.
    >
    > The kernel is pretty much useless without all the extra userland apps to
    > drive it.
    >
    > A few years ago new distros tended to base themselves off Redhat (Mandrake
    > being the most notable) as a starting point. Mandrakes original theme was
    > a pentium compiled Redhat that bundled KDE.
    >
    > More recently though, Debian seems to be the distro that all the new ones
    > are basing themselves off of - Knoppix, Ubuntu, Xandros(?) etc.
    >
    > Personally I think the move to basing distros off Debian is a good one.
    >
    > Feel free to ask more specific questions about certain distros if you like.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Anton

    Thanks, posting from my now running Xandros box, you confirmed my basic
    idea of what the linux market is.

    Darkside, Nov 27, 2004
  12. Alex Axolotl

    Darkside Guest