    years of professional information security experience under their belt. Are
    there any other information security certification programs that a beginner
    like myself could use as a guide to get started?
    MT, Jan 23, 2004

  2. MT

    kulm_nd Guest

    Security+ cert is the first step. Security typically covers malicious code,
    attacks like DoS, remote access, e-mail, web server security, directory and
    file transfers, IM, wireless security, network topology security, intrusion
    detection, encryption, physical security, computer forensics, and social
    engineering. As you can see, lots of operating system and software security.

    g-w

    "MT" <> wrote in message
    > I have been a software developer (mainly C++, Java, Perl and Oracle) for

    the
    > last eight years now and I am interested in taking my career down a
    > different but related technical path. Anyway to get straight to the point:
    > could anyone please tell me what discipline Information Security falls
    > under. I know very little about it at this point but would like to learn
    > more. Is it something that a developer like myself could transition into

    or
    > is it more of a network engineer or systems administration field? Or is it
    > perhaps a little of each?
    >
    > Could anyone post some links or refer some books that could get me

    started?

    > I was looking at the CISSP program hoping that it would be a good start,

    and
    > also hoping that certification would aid me in making the career switch,

    but

    kulm_nd, Jan 23, 2004

  3. MT

    Grunt Guest

    "MT" <> seems to think in

    > I have been a software developer (mainly C++, Java, Perl and Oracle)
    > for the last eight years now and I am interested in taking my career
    > down a different but related technical path. Anyway to get straight to
    > the point: could anyone please tell me what discipline Information
    > Security falls under. I know very little about it at this point but
    > would like to learn more. Is it something that a developer like myself
    > could transition into or is it more of a network engineer or systems
    > administration field? Or is it perhaps a little of each?
    >
    > Could anyone post some links or refer some books that could get me
    > started?
    >
    > I was looking at the CISSP program hoping that it would be a good
    > start, and also hoping that certification would aid me in making the
    > career switch, but it seems that this program is designed for someone
    > that already has 3-4 years of professional information security
    > experience under their belt. Are there any other information security
    > certification programs that a beginner like myself could use as a
    > guide to get started?

    You have more specific knowlege about programming and operating systems
    than perhaps the average IT admin, but there is much to know about
    networking and its security issues that you probably have no background in.

    Have you looked into any of the myriad books on the subject?

    These can give you a survey of the field.

    I like Hacking Exposed by McClure et. al.

    Look for a later edition. Information gets out of date quickly in this
    field.

    Also, you should know about SANS (www.sans.org) which will provide you with
    an educational base, and a many sources of current info and practice.

    It is a vast field. Start reading.

    -- ipgrunt
    Grunt, Jan 23, 2004
  4. MT

    MT Guest

    Thank you, I think that the Security+ may be what I was originally searching
    for when I located the CISSP program. I will lookinto it.

    thank you!

    MT, Jan 24, 2004
  5. MT

    MT Guest

    Thanks ipgrunt,

    I ordered a copy of Hacking Exposed and the Hacker Challenge today to get
    some background info.
    I will check out the link that you suggested as well.

    thanks again!

    MT, Jan 24, 2004