Question for Business Owners Especially AG

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Yummy, May 22, 2004.

  1. Yummy

    Yummy Guest

    I have a guy that works for me part of the time, not part-time.
    Technically, he's not an employee, I have 1099 him in the past and he
    is self-employed. He needs to buy a new car and he wants to put me
    down as his current employer so he can get financed. He said he can't
    get financed being self-employed because he can't prove his income, he
    gets paid in cash most of the time and he doesn't have pay stubs or
    w-2's to prove income. I have paid him cash "under the table" for
    some work, but I don't make a habit of it.

    If the finance company calls me, he wants me to say he has worked for
    me for 6 months, makes $2,100 per month, etc.

    I want to help him, but I'm afraid I can get in trouble for this,
    because not telling the truth on a financial document is a felony.

    What should I tell him, I really want to help him, but I don't want to
    screw myself later. I would like to hire him as an employee and not a
    sub-contractor, but I can't afford it.

    I like this guy. He works hard and knows his shit. He also does all
    cat5 runs and drops for me. He has a hard time getting full-time work
    because he is bi-polar. No one will hire him because he is deemed a
    liability. When he is on his meds, he's fine.

    Yummy
    Yummy, May 22, 2004

  2. Yummy

    David Hough Guest

    You wouldn't be doing him a favor, if he gets in over his head, with the
    payments and expenses of a new car, and only part time income to support
    it. The other side of the coin, you may call on him with work, only to
    find he has transportation issues and can't make it.
    David Hough, May 22, 2004

  3. Yummy

    Ghost Guest

    In article <>, Yummy
    <> wrote:

    > I have a guy that works for me part of the time, not part-time.
    > Technically, he's not an employee, I have 1099 him in the past and he
    > is self-employed. He needs to buy a new car and he wants to put me
    > down as his current employer so he can get financed. He said he can't
    > get financed being self-employed because he can't prove his income, he
    > gets paid in cash most of the time and he doesn't have pay stubs or
    > w-2's to prove income. I have paid him cash "under the table" for
    > some work, but I don't make a habit of it.
    >
    > If the finance company calls me, he wants me to say he has worked for
    > me for 6 months, makes $2,100 per month, etc.
    >
    > I want to help him, but I'm afraid I can get in trouble for this,
    > because not telling the truth on a financial document is a felony.

    Yes, it is considered FRAUD... and conspiracy to commit fraud.. that's 2
    felonies....

    Ghost, May 24, 2004