    why? I would assume that a reason would be because P & S might be
    cheaper than WS.

    RMK
    RMK, May 5, 2007

  2. RMK wrote:

    > So, a week later when I took the last batch back, I asked WTH was the
    > deal. The manager came up with the explanation about the studios not
    > releasing newer movies in Widescreen because they are afraid of piracy.
    > Obviously, this was total BS.

    Assume the manager meant studio not releasing movies TO BLOCKBUSTER in
    widescreen--
    Which would be the only explanation I can think for an alibi that
    otherwise dopey.

    > I am back on my feet and back to Netflix now, but I have the question to
    > other BB users - can you get widescreen stuff at your stores? If not,
    > why? I would assume that a reason would be because P & S might be
    > cheaper than WS.

    Most large chains companies put some limitations on their rentals (eg.
    Netflix re-pressing double-sided disks as singles), to make their disks
    as rental-safe as possible.
    And Blockbuster being movie-centric rather than disk-centric, assumes
    that PS will play to the "Just want to see the movie" crowd without
    being too tempting to more experienced disk users.

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, May 6, 2007

  3. RMK <> wrote:

    >I am back on my feet and back to Netflix now, but I have the question to
    >other BB users - can you get widescreen stuff at your stores?

    I only go into Blockbuster once or twice a year, but I have no problem
    finding WS versions.

    >I would assume that a reason would be because P & S might be
    >cheaper than WS.

    AFAIK, P&S lists for the same price as WS. But a quick check at Amazon
    suggests that WS outsells P&S for non-kiddie titles, so maybe Blockbuster
    gets a deal on unwanted P&S discs?
    Kimba W. Lion, May 6, 2007
  4. RMK

    RMK Guest

    Sorry. I just watch movies. Don't know much about the movie or rental
    industry. Except that I realised quite a while ago that Netflix DVDs are
    not the same as retail versions. That is to say, the disk is printed
    differently and sometimes there is only a movie on the NF disk, rather
    than all the extras (and a dozen worthless trailers) on the retail
    platters. Fine with me. I never access the extras, anyway.

    > Most large chains companies put some limitations on their rentals (eg.
    > Netflix re-pressing double-sided disks as singles), to make their disks as
    > rental-safe as possible.

    rental-safe??? Meaning? From damage? Copying?

    > And Blockbuster being movie-centric rather than disk-centric, assumes
    > that PS will play to the "Just want to see the movie" crowd without
    > being too tempting to more experienced disk users.

    tempting?? I don't understand the context. I assume that a dollar from
    an experienced renter is the same as from someone who likes chopped up
    movies. I would certainly assume that the stamping cost of the physical
    platter is the same no matter what is pressed onto it.

    RMK
    RMK, May 6, 2007
  5. RMK

    David Z Guest

    All new releases are widescreen at my local BB. I can't even remember the
    last time a p&s movie was released on DVD.

    David Z, May 6, 2007