    TIA

    --
    Larry Smith

    Laurence Smith, Nov 22, 2010

  2. Laurence Smith

    Mike Easter Guest

    Laurence Smith wrote:

    Disclaimer: I don't use/have AIM.

    > When I fire up Internet Messenger sometimes the name of one of my
    > online friends has a yellow folder icon to the left of his name.
    >
    > Can someone explain to me what that icon represents in AIM?

    Buddy List symbols and icons in AIM http://bit.ly/bpb6W1 A yellow
    notepad icon appears next to the screen name of any member who has an
    "away message" turned on. If you send an IM to one of these screen
    names, you'll get an automated reply.

    Front door to help for AOL products http://help.aol.com/help/product/aim/

    And your sig delimiter is misconfigured; it should be dash dash space
    not just dash dash.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 22, 2010

  3. Laurence Smith

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 06:36:10 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:

    > And your sig delimiter is misconfigured; it should be dash dash space
    > not just dash dash.

    Works fine here, Mike. His delimiter and text thereafter is in light blue
    text, as it should be.

    no hace mucho tiempo que vivía un hidalgo de los de lanza en
    astillero, adarga antigua, rocín flaco y galgo corredor."
    -Cervantes, 'Don Quixote'

    Aardvark, Nov 22, 2010
  4. Laurence Smith

    Dan C Guest

    On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 14:59:56 +0000, Aardvark wrote:

    > On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 06:36:10 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    >> And your sig delimiter is misconfigured; it should be dash dash space
    >> not just dash dash.

    > Works fine here, Mike. His delimiter and text thereafter is in light
    > blue text, as it should be.

    Well, it's in purple text here, as it should be.

    Actually, Pan (which you and I are both using) is a little more forgiving
    about the sig delimiter, and will accept both 'dash-dash-space' and
    'dash-dash' as valid. Other newsreaders are more strict about it.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as the woodpecker approached his hot-air balloon.

    Dan C, Nov 22, 2010
  5. Laurence Smith

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 15:09:39 +0000, Dan C wrote:

    > On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 14:59:56 +0000, Aardvark wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 06:36:10 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:
    >>
    >>> And your sig delimiter is misconfigured; it should be dash dash space
    >>> not just dash dash.

    >> Works fine here, Mike. His delimiter and text thereafter is in light
    >> blue text, as it should be.

    > Well, it's in purple text here, as it should be.
    >
    > Actually, Pan (which you and I are both using) is a little more
    > forgiving about the sig delimiter, and will accept both
    > 'dash-dash-space' and 'dash-dash' as valid. Other newsreaders are more
    > strict about it.

    Aaaah. I never realised that. I'd always made the (obviously incorrect)
    assumption that Pan, being a standards-compliant OSS newsreader, would be
    less forgiving of transgressions.

    Well, you live and learn.

    BTW How would one check, in this case, whether or not the space is there
    after the hyphens if the delimiter and file below it are rendered in
    their correct colour?

    Aardvark, Nov 22, 2010
  6. Laurence Smith

    Mike Easter Guest

    Dan C wrote:
    > Aardvark wrote:
    >> Mike Easter wrote:
    >>
    >>> And your sig delimiter is misconfigured; it should be dash dash space
    >>> not just dash dash.

    >> Works fine here, Mike. His delimiter and text thereafter is in light
    >> blue text, as it should be.

    That doesn't mean it isn't misconfigured.

    > Well, it's in purple text here, as it should be.
    >
    > Actually, Pan (which you and I are both using) is a little more forgiving
    > about the sig delimiter, and will accept both 'dash-dash-space' and
    > 'dash-dash' as valid. Other newsreaders are more strict about it.

    When I used OE QuoteFix as an add-on to compensate the numerous
    deficiencies of OE, it also had a feature to treat the bad (dashdash
    only) sigs as if they were good, because many long years ago, usenet was
    populated by a lot of dash dash (no space) sigs because old OEs could
    not make a proper sig.

    The problem at that time was that the editor for OE stripped trailing
    spaces from EOLs in the Send stage, thus making it impossible for any OE
    line, including the sig delimiter line, to end with a trailing space.

    But now OE (and WM & WLM) can make proper sigs and I assume the OP's
    XanaNews can make proper sigs and the necessity to abide sigs without
    trailing spaces is much diminished from the way it was when Pan 0.133
    was built.

    For me, manually trimming an improperly delimited sig is much like the
    general condition of trimming all kinds of things, such as signoffs, so
    I treat a bad sig delimiter situation just like a non-delimited signoff.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 22, 2010
  7. Laurence Smith

    Mike Easter Guest

    Aardvark wrote:

    > BTW How would one check, in this case, whether or not the space is there
    > after the hyphens if the delimiter and file below it are rendered in
    > their correct colour?

    I look at the message source where I can detect the space by putting my
    cursor there, after the space.

    If there's no space, you can't 'get there'.

    That is also the same way I examine messages for trailing spaces at the
    EOLs within pars so that I can tell whether or not the message will be
    treated optimally by the plaintext format=flowed process.

    The Tbird 3.0.x series had a big problem with not implementing f=f
    properly; so 2.0.0.xx did it right and 3.0.x did it wrong and
    3.1.x-something started doing it right again -- causing me to stick with
    2.0.0.24 as I'm using here all the way thru' the 3.0.x series.

    Now I'm still using 2.0.0.24 even tho' 3.1.6 is OK.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 22, 2010
  8. Laurence Smith

    NormanM Guest

    On 22 Nov 2010 15:09:39 GMT, Dan C wrote:

    > Well, it's in purple text here, as it should be.

    It is colorless, here. But it is italicized.

    --
    Norman
    ~Oh Lord, why have you come

    NormanM, Nov 22, 2010
  9. Laurence Smith

    Dan C Guest

    On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 08:36:21 -0800, NormanM wrote:

    > On 22 Nov 2010 15:09:39 GMT, Dan C wrote:
    >
    >> Well, it's in purple text here, as it should be.

    > It is colorless, here. But it is italicized.

    How could you tell it is italicized, if it's colorless?

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he stuck a pin in Hillary's implants.

    Dan C, Nov 22, 2010
  10. Laurence Smith

    Dan C Guest

    On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 15:51:57 +0000, Aardvark wrote:

    > On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 15:09:39 +0000, Dan C wrote:

    >>> Works fine here, Mike. His delimiter and text thereafter is in light
    >>> blue text, as it should be.

    >> Well, it's in purple text here, as it should be.
    >>
    >> Actually, Pan (which you and I are both using) is a little more
    >> forgiving about the sig delimiter, and will accept both
    >> 'dash-dash-space' and 'dash-dash' as valid. Other newsreaders are more
    >> strict about it.

    > Aaaah. I never realised that. I'd always made the (obviously incorrect)
    > assumption that Pan, being a standards-compliant OSS newsreader, would
    > be less forgiving of transgressions.
    >
    > Well, you live and learn.
    >
    > BTW How would one check, in this case, whether or not the space is there
    > after the hyphens if the delimiter and file below it are rendered in
    > their correct colour?

    The only way to do it in Pan that I know of is to highlight some of the
    post and all of the sig block (click and drag cursor to select), and then
    copy/paste that text into your favorite text editor. Then try to move
    your editor cursor past the second 'dash' to see if there's a space there
    or not.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he lay back and lit Piglet's cigarette.

    Dan C, Nov 22, 2010
  11. Laurence Smith

    Mike Easter Guest

    Dan C wrote:
    > NormanM wrote:
    >> Dan C wrote:
    >>
    >>> Well, it's in purple text here, as it should be.

    >> It is colorless, here. But it is italicized.

    > How could you tell it is italicized, if it's colorless?

    Maybe it is a semantics thing.

    If it - the text - were black, that might be considered to be the
    absence of color or 'colorless' or 'not colored' (in some color other
    than black).

    Or alternatively, we haven't even gotten into the issue of background
    color of white vs black vs some other.

    Then colorless could be white and the white could be on a dark
    background such as black.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 22, 2010
  12. Laurence Smith

    XS11E Guest

    Mike Easter <> wrote:

    > And your sig delimiter is misconfigured; it should be dash dash
    > space not just dash dash.

    You are correct but this error is so common with some newsreaders that
    I long ago configured Xnews to recognize two dashes w/o the space as a
    sig delimiter. I'm not sure that's possible in T'burp?

    The Usenet Improvement Project:

    XS11E, Nov 22, 2010
  13. Laurence Smith

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 16:56:44 +0000, Dan C wrote:

    > On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 15:51:57 +0000, Aardvark wrote:

    >>> Well, it's in purple text here, as it should be.
    >>>
    >>> Actually, Pan (which you and I are both using) is a little more
    >>> forgiving about the sig delimiter, and will accept both
    >>> 'dash-dash-space' and 'dash-dash' as valid. Other newsreaders are
    >>> more strict about it.

    >> Aaaah. I never realised that. I'd always made the (obviously incorrect)
    >> assumption that Pan, being a standards-compliant OSS newsreader, would
    >> be less forgiving of transgressions.
    >>
    >> Well, you live and learn.
    >>
    >> BTW How would one check, in this case, whether or not the space is
    >> there after the hyphens if the delimiter and file below it are rendered
    >> in their correct colour?

    > The only way to do it in Pan that I know of is to highlight some of the
    > post and all of the sig block (click and drag cursor to select), and
    > then copy/paste that text into your favorite text editor. Then try to
    > move your editor cursor past the second 'dash' to see if there's a space
    > there or not.

    I've found that, if I double-click a couple of character-widths past the
    two hyphens, the space, if it's there, will be highlighted along with the
    hyphens.

    Well, you live and learn, eh?

    Aardvark, Nov 22, 2010
  14. Mike Easter wrote:

    > Laurence Smith wrote:
    >
    > Disclaimer: I don't use/have AIM.
    >
    > > When I fire up Internet Messenger sometimes the name of one of my
    > > online friends has a yellow folder icon to the left of his name.
    > >
    > > Can someone explain to me what that icon represents in AIM?

    > Buddy List symbols and icons in AIM http://bit.ly/bpb6W1 A yellow
    > notepad icon appears next to the screen name of any member who has an
    > "away message" turned on. If you send an IM to one of these screen
    > names, you'll get an automated reply.
    >
    > Front door to help for AOL products
    > http://help.aol.com/help/product/aim/
    >
    > And your sig delimiter is misconfigured; it should be dash dash space
    > not just dash dash.

    Thanks for the answer.
    Let me see if I can do the sig delimiter to everyone's satisfaction.

    --
    Larry Smith

    Laurence Smith, Nov 22, 2010
  15. Laurence Smith

    Mike Easter Guest

    Laurence Smith wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    > your sig delimiter

    > Let me see if I can do the sig delimiter to everyone's satisfaction.

    Fine. Tnx.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 22, 2010