    TIA,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jan 1, 2007

  2. ~misfit~

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 12:25:50 +1300, "~misfit~"
    <> exclaimed:

    >Is there anyone here who is on their 256Kbps Cyberjet plan?
    >
    >I'm on a 2M/128Kbps plan ($10/month cheaper than their max/128Kbps plan) but
    >I'm actually getting full line speed, around 3.9M. I was just wondering if
    >this was the case with their 256Kbps plans too. If so maybe I can change
    >plans and save $10 a month. $10 a month would actually make a noticable
    >difference to my financial situation.
    >
    >TIA,

    Yup, we're on a 2Mbps plan (it's the only way we can get 40GB+40GB a
    month), but have been sped up, too.

    Hopefully it's permanent - it's excellent downloading a TV ep in under
    15 minutes!

    Fred Dagg, Jan 1, 2007

  3. ~misfit~

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 12:25:50 +1300, "~misfit~"
    <> exclaimed:

    >Is there anyone here who is on their 256Kbps Cyberjet plan?
    >
    >I'm on a 2M/128Kbps plan ($10/month cheaper than their max/128Kbps plan) but
    >I'm actually getting full line speed, around 3.9M. I was just wondering if
    >this was the case with their 256Kbps plans too. If so maybe I can change
    >plans and save $10 a month. $10 a month would actually make a noticable
    >difference to my financial situation.

    Oh, for some reason I thought you were on Ihug. Well, mine is on Ihug,
    not Actrix.

    Fred Dagg, Jan 1, 2007
  4. ~misfit~

    David Empson Guest

    ~misfit~ <> wrote:

    > Is there anyone here who is on their 256Kbps Cyberjet plan?

    I was originally but since then went up to 2M/128, then Go Large, then
    Max/Max.

    > I'm on a 2M/128Kbps plan ($10/month cheaper than their max/128Kbps plan) but
    > I'm actually getting full line speed, around 3.9M.

    While I was on 2M/128, my modem was reporting a line speed closer to 4M
    or 5M, but I never got near that in actual throughput. It got noticeably
    faster (downstream) when I went to Max/Max, and I'm sometimes able to
    hit the line limit.

    Are you actually getting real transfer rates close to your line speed?

    I think Telecom is now only doing the ADSL connection at either Max/128
    or Max/Max. If there is a downstream speed cap on your plan, it is
    implemented at a higher point in the network (e.g. the DSLAM, or by your
    ISP in their routers).

    If you are paying for 2M/128 and actually getting Max/128, it might be a
    configuration error on the part of Actrix or Telecom.

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Jan 2, 2007
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    David Empson wrote:
    > ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    >
    > > Is there anyone here who is on their 256Kbps Cyberjet plan?

    > I was originally but since then went up to 2M/128, then Go Large, then
    > Max/Max.
    >
    > > I'm on a 2M/128Kbps plan ($10/month cheaper than their max/128Kbps
    > > plan) but I'm actually getting full line speed, around 3.9M.

    > While I was on 2M/128, my modem was reporting a line speed closer to
    > 4M or 5M, but I never got near that in actual throughput. It got
    > noticeably faster (downstream) when I went to Max/Max, and I'm
    > sometimes able to hit the line limit.

    Ok.

    > Are you actually getting real transfer rates close to your line speed?

    Yes, on the odd occaision when I'm downloading from a source that can supply
    data at that speed.

    > I think Telecom is now only doing the ADSL connection at either
    > Max/128 or Max/Max. If there is a downstream speed cap on your plan,
    > it is implemented at a higher point in the network (e.g. the DSLAM,
    > or by your ISP in their routers).

    I see.

    > If you are paying for 2M/128 and actually getting Max/128, it might
    > be a configuration error on the part of Actrix or Telecom.

    Right. So I'd best leave it alone then huh?

    Not that it worries me. 2M or nearly 4M, it's neither here nor there for me
    as most sources I find myself using don't get much faster, if any, than 2M
    anyway. However, the difference between 256Kbps and nearly 4M is huge.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jan 2, 2007
  6. ~misfit~

    Miguel Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Is there anyone here who is on their 256Kbps Cyberjet plan?
    >
    > I'm on a 2M/128Kbps plan ($10/month cheaper than their max/128Kbps plan) but
    > I'm actually getting full line speed, around 3.9M. I was just wondering if
    > this was the case with their 256Kbps plans too. If so maybe I can change
    > plans and save $10 a month. $10 a month would actually make a noticable
    > difference to my financial situation.
    >
    > TIA,
    > --
    > Shaun.

    Hi Shaun...Hope your new year has started off okay :)

    My sister in Napier is on the Actrix 256/128 kb/s "Quick" plan. 350MB
    per day usage (~11GB per month) for $39.95 per month. (Another ex-Xtra
    customer, lost because they were messing her around so I changed her to
    Actrix and she's had zero problems since.....which is nothing to do
    with your original question but I thought I'd throw in a quick "Actrix
    Good - Xtra Bad" dig. I'm sure you won't mind)

    Anyway....I just had her check her modem line speed, then run the
    Actrix Speedtest, then do a few pings at www.speedtest.net The results
    are:

    Modem Speed:
    Downstream: 5632 kbps Upstream: 160 kbps

    Actrix Speedtest: http://speedtest.actrix.co.nz/

    Download time: 3.469 seconds
    Size of file: 972 Kilobytes
    Estimated line speed: 2286.4 (kilobits/second)
    Estimated line speed: 280.2 (kilobytes/second)

    Global Speedtests www.speedtest.net

    Server: Auckland, NZ
    Down/Up: 2216/135 kbps
    Latency: 135ms

    Server: Sydney, AU
    Down/Up: 1807/131 kbps
    Latency: 131ms

    Server: London, UK
    Down/Up: 1084/127 kbps
    Latency: 403ms

    Server: Los Angeles, CA
    Down/Up: 2100/132 kbps
    Latency: 282ms

    Server: El Paso, TX
    Down/Up: 693/130 kbps
    Latency: 323ms

    Server: New York, NY
    Down/Up: 1473/130 kbps
    Latency: 336ms

    It seems to me she's paying for 256 kb/s download but sometimes getting
    up to eight times that.

    She's doesn't game or p2p. Just your normal web/email/messaging. So I'd
    guess the faster download speed doesn't really show up in her normal
    online "experience". A snappier web browser, but not much else.

    No ISP problems (as expected) Just another satisfied Actrix customer.

    Anyway....hope this helps.

    Regards
    Miguel

    Miguel, Jan 2, 2007
  7. ~misfit~

    Ross Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Is there anyone here who is on their 256Kbps Cyberjet plan?
    >
    >I'm on a 2M/128Kbps plan ($10/month cheaper than their max/128Kbps plan) but
    >I'm actually getting full line speed, around 3.9M. I was just wondering if
    >this was the case with their 256Kbps plans too. If so maybe I can change
    >plans and save $10 a month. $10 a month would actually make a noticable
    >difference to my financial situation.
    >
    >TIA,

    We are on 256K.
    But since 23rd of Nov, our speed has fluctuated between 256K and 2.5M
    We did a test just now and got 1.7M.

    Last night I got 2.5M solid for 3 hours straight (was sucking down a
    website due to Actrix giving us 2 days with no cap as a bonus!)

    Ross

    Ross, Jan 2, 2007
  8. ~misfit~

    Stu Fleming Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Is there anyone here who is on their 256Kbps Cyberjet plan?

    Yes.

    > I'm on a 2M/128Kbps plan ($10/month cheaper than their max/128Kbps plan) but
    > I'm actually getting full line speed, around 3.9M. I was just wondering if

    Apparently.

    "Your line speed is approximately 3505.2 Kbps or 429.6 K bytes/sec
    ( Where kb = kilobits and kB = kiloBytes )"

    Stu Fleming, Jan 2, 2007
  9. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Stu Fleming wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > Is there anyone here who is on their 256Kbps Cyberjet plan?

    > Yes.
    >

    > > I'm on a 2M/128Kbps plan ($10/month cheaper than their max/128Kbps
    > > plan) but I'm actually getting full line speed, around 3.9M. I was
    > > just wondering if

    > Apparently.
    >
    > "Your line speed is approximately 3505.2 Kbps or 429.6 K bytes/sec
    > ( Where kb = kilobits and kB = kiloBytes )"

    Thanks Stu.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jan 3, 2007
  10. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Miguel wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > Is there anyone here who is on their 256Kbps Cyberjet plan?
    > >
    > > I'm on a 2M/128Kbps plan ($10/month cheaper than their max/128Kbps
    > > plan) but I'm actually getting full line speed, around 3.9M. I was
    > > just wondering if this was the case with their 256Kbps plans too.
    > > If so maybe I can change plans and save $10 a month. $10 a month
    > > would actually make a noticable difference to my financial
    > > situation.
    > >
    > > TIA,
    > > --
    > > Shaun.

    > Hi Shaun...Hope your new year has started off okay :)

    Heh! I've had better. However, it's all good from here. Thanks. :)

    I hope yours is good.

    > My sister in Napier is on the Actrix 256/128 kb/s "Quick" plan. 350MB
    > per day usage (~11GB per month) for $39.95 per month. (Another ex-Xtra
    > customer, lost because they were messing her around so I changed her
    > to Actrix and she's had zero problems since.....which is nothing to do
    > with your original question but I thought I'd throw in a quick "Actrix
    > Good - Xtra Bad" dig. I'm sure you won't mind)

    Not at all. <g> It's been my experience too.

    > Anyway....I just had her check her modem line speed, then run the
    > Actrix Speedtest, then do a few pings at www.speedtest.net The results
    > are:
    >
    > Modem Speed:
    > Downstream: 5632 kbps Upstream: 160 kbps
    >

    > Actrix Speedtest: http://speedtest.actrix.co.nz/
    >
    > Download time: 3.469 seconds
    > Size of file: 972 Kilobytes
    > Estimated line speed: 2286.4 (kilobits/second)
    > Estimated line speed: 280.2 (kilobytes/second)
    >

    > Global Speedtests www.speedtest.net
    >
    > Server: Auckland, NZ
    > Down/Up: 2216/135 kbps
    > Latency: 135ms
    >
    > Server: Sydney, AU
    > Down/Up: 1807/131 kbps
    > Latency: 131ms
    >
    > Server: London, UK
    > Down/Up: 1084/127 kbps
    > Latency: 403ms
    >
    > Server: Los Angeles, CA
    > Down/Up: 2100/132 kbps
    > Latency: 282ms
    >
    > Server: El Paso, TX
    > Down/Up: 693/130 kbps
    > Latency: 323ms
    >
    > Server: New York, NY
    > Down/Up: 1473/130 kbps
    > Latency: 336ms
    >
    > It seems to me she's paying for 256 kb/s download but sometimes
    > getting up to eight times that.
    >
    > She's doesn't game or p2p. Just your normal web/email/messaging. So
    > I'd guess the faster download speed doesn't really show up in her
    > normal online "experience". A snappier web browser, but not much else.
    >
    > No ISP problems (as expected) Just another satisfied Actrix customer.
    >
    > Anyway....hope this helps.

    Hmm, so, if I downgrade my plan to 256/1GB it's $10/month cheaper but likely
    as fast.

    Sounds good, thanks Miguel.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jan 3, 2007
  11. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Ross wrote:
    > On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 12:25:50 +1300, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Is there anyone here who is on their 256Kbps Cyberjet plan?
    > >
    > > I'm on a 2M/128Kbps plan ($10/month cheaper than their max/128Kbps
    > > plan) but I'm actually getting full line speed, around 3.9M. I was
    > > just wondering if this was the case with their 256Kbps plans too.
    > > If so maybe I can change plans and save $10 a month. $10 a month
    > > would actually make a noticable difference to my financial
    > > situation.
    > >
    > > TIA,

    > We are on 256K.
    > But since 23rd of Nov, our speed has fluctuated between 256K and 2.5M
    > We did a test just now and got 1.7M.
    >
    > Last night I got 2.5M solid for 3 hours straight (was sucking down a
    > website due to Actrix giving us 2 days with no cap as a bonus!)

    Cheers Ross.

    Those 'all you can eat" weekends have been good huh? That's three they've
    had now.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jan 3, 2007
  12. ~misfit~

    -=rjh=- Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Miguel wrote:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> Is there anyone here who is on their 256Kbps Cyberjet plan?
    >>>
    >>> I'm on a 2M/128Kbps plan ($10/month cheaper than their max/128Kbps
    >>> plan) but I'm actually getting full line speed, around 3.9M. I was
    >>> just wondering if this was the case with their 256Kbps plans too.
    >>> If so maybe I can change plans and save $10 a month. $10 a month
    >>> would actually make a noticable difference to my financial
    >>> situation.
    >>>
    >>> TIA,
    >>> --
    >>> Shaun.

    >> Hi Shaun...Hope your new year has started off okay :)

    > Heh! I've had better. However, it's all good from here. Thanks. :)
    >
    > I hope yours is good.
    >
    >> My sister in Napier is on the Actrix 256/128 kb/s "Quick" plan. 350MB
    >> per day usage (~11GB per month) for $39.95 per month. (Another ex-Xtra
    >> customer, lost because they were messing her around so I changed her
    >> to Actrix and she's had zero problems since.....which is nothing to do
    >> with your original question but I thought I'd throw in a quick "Actrix
    >> Good - Xtra Bad" dig. I'm sure you won't mind)

    > Not at all. <g> It's been my experience too.
    >
    >> Anyway....I just had her check her modem line speed, then run the
    >> Actrix Speedtest, then do a few pings at www.speedtest.net The results
    >> are:
    >>
    >> Modem Speed:
    >> Downstream: 5632 kbps Upstream: 160 kbps
    >>

    >> Actrix Speedtest: http://speedtest.actrix.co.nz/
    >>
    >> Download time: 3.469 seconds
    >> Size of file: 972 Kilobytes
    >> Estimated line speed: 2286.4 (kilobits/second)
    >> Estimated line speed: 280.2 (kilobytes/second)
    >>

    >> Global Speedtests www.speedtest.net
    >>
    >> Server: Auckland, NZ
    >> Down/Up: 2216/135 kbps
    >> Latency: 135ms
    >>
    >> Server: Sydney, AU
    >> Down/Up: 1807/131 kbps
    >> Latency: 131ms
    >>
    >> Server: London, UK
    >> Down/Up: 1084/127 kbps
    >> Latency: 403ms
    >>
    >> Server: Los Angeles, CA
    >> Down/Up: 2100/132 kbps
    >> Latency: 282ms
    >>
    >> Server: El Paso, TX
    >> Down/Up: 693/130 kbps
    >> Latency: 323ms
    >>
    >> Server: New York, NY
    >> Down/Up: 1473/130 kbps
    >> Latency: 336ms
    >>
    >> It seems to me she's paying for 256 kb/s download but sometimes
    >> getting up to eight times that.
    >>
    >> She's doesn't game or p2p. Just your normal web/email/messaging. So
    >> I'd guess the faster download speed doesn't really show up in her
    >> normal online "experience". A snappier web browser, but not much else.
    >>
    >> No ISP problems (as expected) Just another satisfied Actrix customer.
    >>
    >> Anyway....hope this helps.

    > Hmm, so, if I downgrade my plan to 256/1GB it's $10/month cheaper but likely
    > as fast.

    Yeah, but Telecom or the ISP aren't going to let this slide if everybody
    does that, are they. They'll fix it soon, I'm sure.

    -=rjh=-, Jan 3, 2007
  13. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > Miguel wrote:

    > > > Hi Shaun...Hope your new year has started off okay :)

    > > Heh! I've had better. However, it's all good from here. Thanks. :)
    > >
    > > I hope yours is good.
    > >
    > > > My sister in Napier is on the Actrix 256/128 kb/s "Quick" plan.
    > > > 350MB per day usage (~11GB per month) for $39.95 per month.
    > > > (Another ex-Xtra customer, lost because they were messing her
    > > > around so I changed her to Actrix and she's had zero problems
    > > > since.....which is nothing to do with your original question but
    > > > I thought I'd throw in a quick "Actrix Good - Xtra Bad" dig. I'm
    > > > sure you won't mind)

    > > Not at all. <g> It's been my experience too.
    > >
    > > > Anyway....I just had her check her modem line speed, then run the
    > > > Actrix Speedtest, then do a few pings at www.speedtest.net The
    > > > results are:
    > > >
    > > > Modem Speed:
    > > > Downstream: 5632 kbps Upstream: 160 kbps
    > > >

    > > > Actrix Speedtest: http://speedtest.actrix.co.nz/
    > > >
    > > > Download time: 3.469 seconds
    > > > Size of file: 972 Kilobytes
    > > > Estimated line speed: 2286.4 (kilobits/second)
    > > > Estimated line speed: 280.2 (kilobytes/second)
    > > >

    > > > Global Speedtests www.speedtest.net
    > > >
    > > > Server: Auckland, NZ
    > > > Down/Up: 2216/135 kbps
    > > > Latency: 135ms
    > > >
    > > > Server: Sydney, AU
    > > > Down/Up: 1807/131 kbps
    > > > Latency: 131ms
    > > >
    > > > Server: London, UK
    > > > Down/Up: 1084/127 kbps
    > > > Latency: 403ms
    > > >
    > > > Server: Los Angeles, CA
    > > > Down/Up: 2100/132 kbps
    > > > Latency: 282ms
    > > >
    > > > Server: El Paso, TX
    > > > Down/Up: 693/130 kbps
    > > > Latency: 323ms
    > > >
    > > > Server: New York, NY
    > > > Down/Up: 1473/130 kbps
    > > > Latency: 336ms
    > > >
    > > > It seems to me she's paying for 256 kb/s download but sometimes
    > > > getting up to eight times that.
    > > >
    > > > She's doesn't game or p2p. Just your normal web/email/messaging.
    > > > So I'd guess the faster download speed doesn't really show up in
    > > > her normal online "experience". A snappier web browser, but not
    > > > much else. No ISP problems (as expected) Just another satisfied Actrix
    > > > customer. Anyway....hope this helps.

    > > Hmm, so, if I downgrade my plan to 256/1GB it's $10/month cheaper
    > > but likely as fast.

    > Yeah, but Telecom or the ISP aren't going to let this slide if
    > everybody does that, are they. They'll fix it soon, I'm sure.

    We shall see. I put in the order to downgrade the speed earlier today and
    got an email confirmation this afternoon. Says sometime in the next couple
    days.

    Would be totally unfair if I didn't get the same speed as others on the same
    plan wouldn't it?
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jan 3, 2007
  14. T'was the Wed, 3 Jan 2007 22:12:07 +1300 when I remembered "~misfit~"
    <> saying something like this:

    >Would be totally unfair if I didn't get the same speed as others on the same
    >plan wouldn't it?

    Not really. The most you could expect is what you pay for.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Jan 3, 2007
  15. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > T'was the Wed, 3 Jan 2007 22:12:07 +1300 when I remembered "~misfit~"
    > <> saying something like this:
    >
    > > Would be totally unfair if I didn't get the same speed as others on
    > > the same plan wouldn't it?

    > Not really. The most you could expect is what you pay for.

    Oh, I think I could make a case for it. Present data gleaned from here etc.
    Not one respondent who was on 256 was actually limited to 256, they were all
    getting 1.5M+. 100% of respondents. I did my research, found what was
    happening and changed plans accordingly. It would be unreasonable to expect
    to get anything other than what my 'peers' were getting.

    We shall see. It's still $10 a month more than the Go Large plan and it's
    capped. I don't see that it makes that big a difference how quickly you
    reach your cap. It just means that you're rate-limited for longer. Actually
    I don't care if I don't get faster than 256 really although it'd be nice.
    It's mainly the saving that I'm after. Finances just got tighter.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jan 3, 2007
  16. T'was the Thu, 4 Jan 2007 11:05:31 +1300 when I remembered "~misfit~"
    <> saying something like this:

    >Oh, I think I could make a case for it. Present data gleaned from here etc.
    >Not one respondent who was on 256 was actually limited to 256, they were all
    >getting 1.5M+. 100% of respondents. I did my research, found what was
    >happening and changed plans accordingly. It would be unreasonable to expect
    >to get anything other than what my 'peers' were getting.

    If you did get 256k, because other people weren't being correctly
    rate-limited isn't an argument for why you shouldn't be correctly rate
    limited either. I'm certainly hoping you get more than what you paid
    for, but if you didn't, you couldn't say it was unfair.

    After all, I pay more for a faster broadband service. If people are
    paying less on the same provider for the same speed as I, why should I
    be paying more for a speed differential?
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Jan 3, 2007
  17. ~misfit~

    El Chippy Guest

    On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 11:05:31 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Waylon Kenning wrote:
    >> T'was the Wed, 3 Jan 2007 22:12:07 +1300 when I remembered "~misfit~"
    >> <> saying something like this:
    >>
    >> > Would be totally unfair if I didn't get the same speed as others on
    >> > the same plan wouldn't it?

    >> Not really. The most you could expect is what you pay for.

    > Oh, I think I could make a case for it. Present data gleaned from here etc.
    > Not one respondent who was on 256 was actually limited to 256, they were all
    > getting 1.5M+. 100% of respondents. I did my research, found what was
    > happening and changed plans accordingly. It would be unreasonable to expect
    > to get anything other than what my 'peers' were getting.

    Or Actrix could turn round and say that it was a misconfiguration on
    their part, limit everyone back to 256k and all you would have gained
    is... nothing. If they advertise the plan as 256k that is all you have the
    right to. If they decide to give you more that is a bonus. If they decide
    to give you less that is breach of contract, then you have the right to
    complain.

    If you want an orange, buy an orange. Don't buy an apple and complain that
    it doesn't taste like an orange.

    El Chippy, Jan 4, 2007
  18. ~misfit~

    Stu Fleming Guest

    El Chippy wrote:

    > Or Actrix could turn round and say that it was a misconfiguration on
    > their part, limit everyone back to 256k and all you would have gained
    > is... nothing. If they advertise the plan as 256k that is all you have the
    > right to. If they decide to give you more that is a bonus. If they decide
    > to give you less that is breach of contract, then you have the right to
    > complain.

    It looks to me as if I get uncapped rate for national bandwidth or
    nationally-peered bandwidth, rather than general uncapped increased
    rate. That makes sense to me, given Actrix philosophy. I haven't been
    able to verify this in a wider sense yet, but I can pull up to maximum
    rate to/from my network centre which is 5 hops away from my ADSL.

    Stu Fleming, Jan 4, 2007