Question: Do you leave your computer on or turn it off?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Roseb441702, Aug 9, 2003.

  1. Roseb441702

    Roseb441702 Guest

    They say it doesn't matter which way you do it - of course unless there's some
    kind of electrical storm or something - but I was wondering whether the people
    here leave their computer on all day (or night) even when you're not using it?


    Rose
    ***************************************
    "Give A ShoutOut To The World!"
    Put Your Voice Message Online at:
    The ShoutOut Page
    http://members.aol.com/Roseb441702/shoutout.htm
     
    Roseb441702, Aug 9, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Roseb441702

    Peter Johns Guest

    On 09 Aug 2003 06:24:31 GMT, ospam (Roseb441702)
    wrote:

    >They say it doesn't matter which way you do it - of course unless there's some
    >kind of electrical storm or something - but I was wondering whether the people
    >here leave their computer on all day (or night) even when you're not using it?


    Most definitely turn it off, pull the power plug out of the wall power
    socket and pull the phone line out of the phone wall socket.

    I have heard of too many people loosing all their equipment from power
    surges both from lightning (and we get some real good electrical
    storms here!) and from faults in power distribution.

    It only takes a second or too and is good insurance.
     
    Peter Johns, Aug 9, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Roseb441702

    Boomer Guest

    ospam (Roseb441702) wrote message ID
    news::

    > They say it doesn't matter which way you do it - of course
    > unless there's some kind of electrical storm or something - but
    > I was wondering whether the people here leave their computer on
    > all day (or night) even when you're not using it?


    24/7 here. Unless it crashes and I have to reboot or a thunder storm
    or I go away for more than a few days etc.
     
    Boomer, Aug 9, 2003
    #3
  4. Roseb441702

    Boomer Guest

    Peter Johns <> wrote message ID
    news::

    > On 09 Aug 2003 06:24:31 GMT, ospam
    > (Roseb441702) wrote:
    >
    >>They say it doesn't matter which way you do it - of course
    >>unless there's some kind of electrical storm or something - but
    >>I was wondering whether the people here leave their computer on
    >>all day (or night) even when you're not using it?

    >
    > Most definitely turn it off, pull the power plug out of the wall
    > power socket and pull the phone line out of the phone wall
    > socket.
    >
    > I have heard of too many people loosing all their equipment from
    > power surges both from lightning (and we get some real good
    > electrical storms here!) and from faults in power distribution.
    >
    > It only takes a second or too and is good insurance.


    I haven't lost one yet due to a lighening storm (we get good ones
    herre, too) and I have no expensive surge protector.
    Pretty much 24/7 here since the mid 90's.

    Though, when I do go away from the house for more than a day or two,
    I will unplug/disconnect/turn off everything.
     
    Boomer, Aug 9, 2003
    #4
  5. Roseb441702

    trout Guest

    Roseb441702 wrote:

    > They say it doesn't matter which way you do it - of course unless
    > there's some kind of electrical storm or something - but I was
    > wondering whether the people here leave their computer on all day (or
    > night) even when you're not using it?
    >
    >
    > Rose


    Always on.
    --
    "Except for acts of God and Stupidity."
     
    trout, Aug 9, 2003
    #5
  6. "Roseb441702" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > They say it doesn't matter which way you do it - of course unless there's

    some
    > kind of electrical storm or something - but I was wondering whether the

    people
    > here leave their computer on all day (or night) even when you're not using

    it?
    >


    Some people say leaving it on lowers the life expectancy of the boards and
    processor and the like... others say that turning it off and on causes the
    boards and processor to expand and contract too often causing microfractures
    which lower the life expectancy of the boards and processors. Still others
    say that dousing it in cold water while holding onto the plug will give you
    a good buzz.

    It seems to be a matter of preference. My computer shuts down after an hour
    of not being used (about 3 or 4 times in a 24 hour period) and I have never
    had anything bad happen from it. I prefer to have it shut down because I am
    an environmental freak and am all about saving power to help reduce
    consumption.. but thats me :)

    --
    Hugs his tree daily.
     
    Sentient Fluid, Aug 9, 2003
    #6
  7. "Kilo The MagnifiKat" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Use the Hibernate feature. Will save your screen from burning out and will
    > save preciuos resources. Will maintain files in the same state you left
    > them. Add a good surge protector. For about $30 you can save the cost of
    > replacing/repairing inthe event of a Power surge.


    I *do* use the hibernate feature... If you meant to reply to the OP then
    please do so :)

    --
    I got excited.. thought someone wanted to talk to me!


    > "Sentient Fluid" <> wrote in message
    > news:tn1Za.682658$...
    > > "Roseb441702" <> wrote in message
    > > news:...
    > > > They say it doesn't matter which way you do it - of course unless

    > there's
    > > some
    > > > kind of electrical storm or something - but I was wondering whether

    the
    > > people
    > > > here leave their computer on all day (or night) even when you're not

    > using
    > > it?
    > > >

    > >
    > > Some people say leaving it on lowers the life expectancy of the boards

    and
    > > processor and the like... others say that turning it off and on causes

    the
    > > boards and processor to expand and contract too often causing

    > microfractures
    > > which lower the life expectancy of the boards and processors. Still

    > others
    > > say that dousing it in cold water while holding onto the plug will give

    > you
    > > a good buzz.
    > >
    > > It seems to be a matter of preference. My computer shuts down after an

    > hour
    > > of not being used (about 3 or 4 times in a 24 hour period) and I have

    > never
    > > had anything bad happen from it. I prefer to have it shut down because

    I
    > am
    > > an environmental freak and am all about saving power to help reduce
    > > consumption.. but thats me :)
    > >
    > > --
    > > Hugs his tree daily.
    > >
    > >

    >
    >
     
    Sentient Fluid, Aug 9, 2003
    #7
  8. Roseb441702

    Patrick Guest

    Roseb441702 wrote:
    > They say it doesn't matter which way you do it - of course unless
    > there's some kind of electrical storm or something - but I was
    > wondering whether the people here leave their computer on all day (or
    > night) even when you're not using it?
    >
    >
    > Rose
    > ***************************************
    > "Give A ShoutOut To The World!"
    > Put Your Voice Message Online at:
    > The ShoutOut Page
    > http://members.aol.com/Roseb441702/shoutout.htm


    Well some do and some don't,
    Would it not be best to turn-off (or hibernate which allows you switch off)
    and remove mains-plug/s at night in the interests of 'fire (*risk*) safety'.
     
    Patrick, Aug 9, 2003
    #8
  9. Roseb441702

    paul s Guest

    On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 06:24:31 +0000, Roseb441702 wrote:

    > They say it doesn't matter which way you do it - of course unless there's some
    > kind of electrical storm or something - but I was wondering whether the people
    > here leave their computer on all day (or night) even when you're not using it?


    I leave mine on 24/7, with the occasional reboot, But I do turn the
    monitor off when I've finished using it for a while.

    --
    Paul S
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    - Which is worse: ignorance or apathy? I don't know. Who cares? -
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
     
    paul s, Aug 9, 2003
    #9
  10. Roseb441702

    slumpy Guest

    "So, Mr Slumpy you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you ?" I
    threw back my head and roared with laughter as °Mike° continued:

    > The important thing to realise is that turning it ON/OFF continually
    > during a normal working day is likely to wear the electronic
    > components out far quicker than leaving it on all of the time.
    > However, there is nothing wrong with leaving it on all day and then
    > turning it off last thing at night. There is also nothing wrong with
    > leaving it on 24 hrs a day - many people do this. If it is left on
    > 24hrs, you should reboot occasionally.


    How often would you say ?
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    no less
    just slumpy
     
    slumpy, Aug 9, 2003
    #10
  11. Roseb441702

    Mike0000 Guest

    >How often would you say ?

    When it crashes, its time.

    --
    Mike

    Block web ads
    http://everythingisnt.com/hosts.html

    "slumpy" <> wrote in message
    news:bh3864$ttsm3$-berlin.de...
    > "So, Mr Slumpy you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you ?" I
    > threw back my head and roared with laughter as °Mike° continued:
    >
    > > The important thing to realise is that turning it ON/OFF continually
    > > during a normal working day is likely to wear the electronic
    > > components out far quicker than leaving it on all of the time.
    > > However, there is nothing wrong with leaving it on all day and then
    > > turning it off last thing at night. There is also nothing wrong with
    > > leaving it on 24 hrs a day - many people do this. If it is left on
    > > 24hrs, you should reboot occasionally.

    >
    > How often would you say ?
    > --
    > slumpy
    > no more
    > no less
    > just slumpy
    >
    >
     
    Mike0000, Aug 9, 2003
    #11
  12. Roseb441702

    Jeremy Moss Guest

    There are enemies of doing either or. The initial spin cycle of a hard
    drive is one of the hardest things on the hard disk itself. However, it
    has been forever since I have had a hard drive that would not spin up.
    I have an XT computer out in the building (1980) that has an old MFM
    hard drive that still spins up and works fine. The disadvantage to
    leaving the system on is the amount of heat PC's now produce (CPU,
    Chipset, and Hard Drive). Heat can also be a factor in your PC's life.
    Considering the shelf life of PC's, I think I would be more worried
    about energy consumption. Save a few bucks on your electric bill.
    That's my advice, and I'm sticking to it. It is better to leave it
    running than to start the thing up 20 times in one night, but otherwise...

    Roseb441702 wrote:
    > They say it doesn't matter which way you do it - of course unless there's some
    > kind of electrical storm or something - but I was wondering whether the people
    > here leave their computer on all day (or night) even when you're not using it?
    >
    >
    > Rose
    > ***************************************
    > "Give A ShoutOut To The World!"
    > Put Your Voice Message Online at:
    > The ShoutOut Page
    > http://members.aol.com/Roseb441702/shoutout.htm
     
    Jeremy Moss, Aug 10, 2003
    #12
  13. "slumpy" <> wrote:

    >"So, Mr Slumpy you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you ?" I
    >threw back my head and roared with laughter as Mike0000 continued:
    >
    >>> How often would you say ?

    >>
    >> When it crashes, its time.
    >>

    >Not altogether the answer that was required. Mine gets a reboot at least
    >every 24 hours, when I can spare the download time ;-)


    Does he mean 'downtime'? I'm just not sure. Slumptard gets less
    comprehensible with each & every post he makes.

    --
    zar 2k3 - ULC Reverend
    Certified Word Police Officer - Details Detail
    http://www.geocities.com/spamresources/spambots.htm
    http://www.drcnet.org/ http://www.abovegod.com/
    NuMbEr Tr3#3!!!!11! on a lits...

    "A man, a plan, a canoe, pasta, heros, rajahs,
    a coloratura, maps, snipe, percale, macaroni,
    a gag, a banana bag, a tan, a tag, a banana bag
    again (or a camel), a crepe, pins, Spam, a rut,
    a Rolo, cash, a jar, sore hats, a peon, a canal
    - Panama!"

    - Guy Steele Jr., CLTL2
     
    Monsignor Larville Jones MD, Aug 10, 2003
    #13
  14. Roseb441702

    Peter Johns Guest

    On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 21:19:15 +0100, Monsignor Larville Jones MD
    <> wrote:

    >Peter Johns <> wrote:
    >
    >>On 09 Aug 2003 06:24:31 GMT, ospam (Roseb441702)
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>They say it doesn't matter which way you do it - of course unless there's some
    >>>kind of electrical storm or something - but I was wondering whether the people
    >>>here leave their computer on all day (or night) even when you're not using it?

    >>
    >>Most definitely turn it off, pull the power plug out of the wall power
    >>socket and pull the phone line out of the phone wall socket.
    >>
    >>I have heard of too many people loosing

    >
    >"LOSING"
    >
    >LOSE
    >LOST
    >LOSS
    >LOSES
    >LOSER
    >LOSING
    >LOSLOBOS
    >

    Blimey - what a waste of space and time!!
     
    Peter Johns, Aug 11, 2003
    #14
  15. Roseb441702

    anthonyberet Guest

    slumpy wrote:
    > "So, Mr Slumpy you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you ?"
    > I threw back my head and roared with laughter as Mike0000 continued:
    >
    >>> How often would you say ?

    >>
    >> When it crashes, its time.
    >>

    > Not altogether the answer that was required. Mine gets a reboot at
    > least every 24 hours, when I can spare the download time ;-)


    http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=1998-12-29-002-10-NW-CY
    --
    Put "usenet" in the subject-line if you want to mail me, otherwise it will
    bounce.
    anthonyberet
     
    anthonyberet, Aug 11, 2003
    #15
  16. Roseb441702 wrote:

    > They say it doesn't matter which way you do it - of course unless there's
    > some kind of electrical storm or something - but I was wondering whether
    > the people here leave their computer on all day (or night) even when
    > you're not using it?


    I keep mine on 24/7 simply because there's no reason not to.

    But then, I'm running Linux, which doesn't require frequent reboots to stay
    healthy.

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
    gary at cdfound dot org / http:// geetee dot cdfound dot org
    "The two most abundant things in the universe
    are hydrogen and stupidity." --Harlan Ellison
     
    Gary G. Taylor, Aug 11, 2003
    #16
  17. philo wrote:

    > Roseb441702 wrote:
    >> They say it doesn't matter which way you do it - of course unless there's
    >> some kind of electrical storm or something - but I was wondering whether
    >> the people here leave their computer on all day (or night) even when
    >> you're not using it?
    >>

    >
    >
    > i always turn my machine off at the end of the day.
    >
    >
    > of course, unless the machine is unplugged (including the phone cord
    > from the modem)...and electrical storm could still damage your
    > computer even if turned off.
    >
    > a few years back, i saw the power pole behind my house take
    > a direct lightning hit !!!!
    > yes it was a bit unnerving!
    > my answering machine was the only thing in the house damaged
    >

    Back when I was knee-high to a cockr^Wgrasshopper I spent a summer in Butte,
    Montana. (Lived in an area that was subsequently consumed by the Great
    Pit.) A lightning bolt hit the power pole about 15 ft from where I was
    sleeping and exloded the power transformer. Needless to say, I woke up.
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
    gary at cdfound dot org / http:// geetee dot cdfound dot org
    "The two most abundant things in the universe
    are hydrogen and stupidity." --Harlan Ellison
     
    Gary G. Taylor, Aug 11, 2003
    #17
  18. Boomer wrote:
    >
    > I haven't lost one yet due to a lighening storm (we get good ones
    > herre, too) and I have no expensive surge protector.
    > Pretty much 24/7 here since the mid 90's.
    >
    > Though, when I do go away from the house for more than a day or two,
    > I will unplug/disconnect/turn off everything.



    That is a terrible idea Boomer and not very smart. You have just been
    lucky. Static from lightening strikes can and do burn out modems. I know
    because that is how it happened to mine. A direct hit is not required to
    blast ya in to the market place for a new modem or worse. I have a surge
    protector and I had one when it happened to me. When it storms here we shut
    down and pull all the plugs from the wall. Maybe that is overkill but it
    the cheapest and safest way for the home user.

    As for leaving off or leaving on at normal times I leave it on to save wear
    on the hard drive and floppy. But the cooling fans have to stay in the
    front of your (generically speaking) awareness at all times. I will turn it
    off about once a week for over night or re-boot after it starts to slow
    because of the "in" stuff received.

    --
    longshotjohn 7

    http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/hot2trot


    The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but
    because of those who look on and do nothing. --Albert Einstein
     
    longshotjohn7, Aug 11, 2003
    #18
  19. Roseb441702

    w_tom Guest

    Why does the telco, with a $multimillion computer connected to
    overhead wires everywhere in town, not shutdown service during
    thunderstorms? Because they also do not use that surge protector that
    longshotjohn7 thinks is surge protection.

    No one ever need disconnect to protect a modem. However one must
    first learn the difference between plug-in surge protectors that don't
    even claim to provide protection, and effective 'whole house'
    protectors. What does that telco use for their critical computer?
    'Whole house' protectors that cost less than plug-in protectors AND
    actually claim to protect from surges that destroy electronics (and
    modems).

    Many will promote myths only because basic facts are not learned
    before making conclusions. Another classical junk science conclusion
    involves leaving computer on. Power cycling does contribute to
    computer failure. Once manufacturer data sheets are consulted, then
    premature computer failure from power cycling could occur if power
    cycled seven times every day for ... 20 years. The most power cycling
    sensitive component I ever saw was an IBM disk drive that would be
    damaged if power cycled seven times every day for about 15 years.

    IOW once numbers are applied, then the junk science reasoning is
    exposed. Power cycling is destructive to computers - but totally
    irrelevant. Furthermore, many computer parts are suffering stresses
    when normally on because normal operation is constant power cycling.
    For example, CPU specs say it may 'power cycle' from less than 1 amp
    to tens of amps in microseconds. That is power cycling far more
    severe and yet that occurs during normal CPU operation!

    One - shut the machine off or put it to sleep when done. Leaving it
    on to protect its life expectancy is simply nonsense promoted by junk
    science reasoning - made obvious because numbers were not used.

    Two - the only effective protectors are called 'whole house'. The
    telephone line has one provided free by the telco. But then modems
    are typically damaged because the building has no AC electric 'whole
    house' protector AND damage is made more probable when connected to a
    plug-in protector. Even more embarrassing is the expense. Plug-in
    protectors cost typically tens of times more money per protected
    appliance as compared to 'whole house' type protector - as well as
    plug-in protector does not even claim protection from the typical
    modem destructive surge. Why does the telco not use plug-in
    protectors? Because they need effective protection affored by 'whole
    house' protectors.

    "longshotjohn7" <> wrote in message news:<gHEZa.10644$2.webusenet.com>...
    > Boomer wrote:
    > >
    > > I haven't lost one yet due to a lighening storm (we get good ones
    > > herre, too) and I have no expensive surge protector.
    > > Pretty much 24/7 here since the mid 90's.
    > >
    > > Though, when I do go away from the house for more than a day or two,
    > > I will unplug/disconnect/turn off everything.

    >
    >
    > That is a terrible idea Boomer and not very smart. You have just been
    > lucky. Static from lightening strikes can and do burn out modems. I know
    > because that is how it happened to mine. A direct hit is not required to
    > blast ya in to the market place for a new modem or worse. I have a surge
    > protector and I had one when it happened to me. When it storms here we shut
    > down and pull all the plugs from the wall. Maybe that is overkill but it
    > the cheapest and safest way for the home user.
    >
    > As for leaving off or leaving on at normal times I leave it on to save wear
    > on the hard drive and floppy. But the cooling fans have to stay in the
    > front of your (generically speaking) awareness at all times. I will turn it
    > off about once a week for over night or re-boot after it starts to slow
    > because of the "in" stuff received.
     
    w_tom, Aug 11, 2003
    #19
  20. w_tom wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>> bullshit

    --
    longshotjohn 7

    http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/hot2trot


    The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but
    because of those who look on and do nothing. --Albert Einstein
     
    longshotjohn7, Aug 12, 2003
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Re: Turn computer off? Or leave on?

    , May 25, 2005, in forum: A+ Certification
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    403
  2. Captain Lon

    Re: Turn computer off? Or leave on?

    Captain Lon, May 25, 2005, in forum: A+ Certification
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    586
    Tom MacIntyre
    Jun 14, 2005
  3. Pat

    Re: Turn computer off? Or leave on?

    Pat, May 26, 2005, in forum: A+ Certification
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    423
  4. Captain Lon

    Re: Turn computer off? Or leave on?

    Captain Lon, May 26, 2005, in forum: A+ Certification
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,159
    Captain Lon
    May 26, 2005
  5. Tom MacIntyre

    Re: Turn computer off? Or leave on?

    Tom MacIntyre, May 28, 2005, in forum: A+ Certification
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    467
    Tom MacIntyre
    May 28, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page