    take a picture, it changes to a lower bracket sign and O4, then after
    firing, it goes back to the number of pictures left.

    A bit confused

    Susan, Dec 19, 2005

  2. Susan

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Susan <> writes:
    > First, right above the battery charger bar in the upper left hand
    > corner of the top screen, it says ISO AUTO, and keeps blinking when I
    > attempt to push the button down to take a picture.

    You can set a fixed ISO through the lcd menu, but you could also just
    leave it on auto.

    > 2nd, in the lower right hand corner, where it says the number of
    > exposure you have left, as soon as I attempt to push the button down
    > to take a picture, it changes to a lower bracket sign and O4, then
    > after firing, it goes back to the number of pictures left.

    I think the 04 is the number of shots there's space for in buffer
    memory. It means you can take up to 4 shots in quick succession
    without having to wait for the camera to write them out to the flash
    card. If you set the jpeg mode to smaller files (lower resolution or
    more compression), that number should get higher.

    Paul Rubin, Dec 19, 2005

  3. Susan

    Susan Guest

    okay, I figured out why the ISO AUTO was blinking. Evidently not enough
    light. When I aimed the camera directed into a bright room, it did not
    blink, and then into a darker room, it blinked again.

    But still cannot figure out the part about why it says L 04 right as I
    am pressing the button to take a picture

    Susan, Dec 19, 2005
  4. Susan

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Susan <> writes:
    > But still cannot figure out the part about why it says L 04 right as I
    > am pressing the button to take a picture

    Did you consider looking in the manual?

    Paul Rubin, Dec 19, 2005
  5. Susan

    frederick Guest

    Paul Rubin wrote:
    > Susan <> writes:
    >
    >>But still cannot figure out the part about why it says L 04 right as I
    >>am pressing the button to take a picture

    > Did you consider looking in the manual?

    As Paul stated, it is the number of shots left in the camera's internal
    memory buffer. It is only really important if you are shooting in
    continuous (burst) mode, when the camera will slow down after taking 3
    frames per second, when the buffer is full - as it needs to process and
    write the image files to the compact flash card. How soon this happens
    and how slow it gets will depend on the speed of the compact flash card
    and the image quality settings you have selected.
    If your camera is indicating "04" with an empty buffer, then you have
    image quality set to RAW. With quality set to Fine - Large jpeg, the
    buffer is 9 shots, and with a reasonably fast card the camera will shoot
    at 3 frames per second for 10 seconds or more before the buffer is full.

    frederick, Dec 19, 2005
  6. On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 19:51:02 -0700, in rec.photo.digital Susan
    <> wrote:

    >I just recently bought a Nikon D70s. And have a few questions on it.
    >
    >First, right above the battery charger bar in the upper left hand corner
    >of the top screen, it says ISO AUTO, and keeps blinking when I attempt
    >to push the button down to take a picture.
    >
    >2nd, in the lower right hand corner, where it says the number of
    >exposure you have left, as soon as I attempt to push the button down to
    >take a picture, it changes to a lower bracket sign and O4, then after
    >firing, it goes back to the number of pictures left.

    Both easily covered in the manual. As Paul said its the number of shots
    remaining to fill the buffer. Start with the beginning of the manual, the
    overview section covering the control panel. My D70 manual shows on p6:

    Number of exposures
    remaining ..................................... 25
    Number of shots remaining
    before memory buffer fi lls............. 62

    the right hand numbers being the pages that explain more in detail.
    --
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Dec 19, 2005
  7. Susan

    Iraxl Enb Guest

    Susan wrote:
    > I just recently bought a Nikon D70s. And have a few questions on it.
    >
    > First, right above the battery charger bar in the upper left hand corner
    > of the top screen, it says ISO AUTO, and keeps blinking when I attempt
    > to push the button down to take a picture.
    >
    > 2nd, in the lower right hand corner, where it says the number of
    > exposure you have left, as soon as I attempt to push the button down to
    > take a picture, it changes to a lower bracket sign and O4, then after
    > firing, it goes back to the number of pictures left.
    >
    > A bit confused

    All expected behaviour, RTFM...

    --
    -- irax
    http://rumimmi.blogspot.com

    Iraxl Enb, Dec 19, 2005
  8. Susan

    Susan Guest

    Thanks for the information. I just started getting into Digital
    photography. I have F100 Nikons too. Anyway getting to know digital is a
    bit complex. I don't know too much about buffers and why they are even
    needed.

    I set my pictures on RAW, mainly because it is easy to work with it in
    photoshop and then can downsize it to a JPEG. Can't manipulate from a
    JPEG. I like taking pictures of animals, primarily close ups. So it is
    much easier to work with it from a RAW quality image. At least from what
    I know.

    Susan

    Susan, Dec 19, 2005
  9. Susan

    Susan Guest

    Question: With the camera set to JPEG Fine, as you suggested, can that
    be enlarged safety to an 8 x 10? Or would a 5 x 7 be more acceptable?

    Susan, Dec 19, 2005
  10. Susan

    Iraxl Enb Guest

    I have printed 8x10s from the jpgs in the fine setting,
    and found them okay. But then I might not be the most
    discerning person, ymmv...

    --
    -- irax
    http://rumimmi.blogspot.com

    Iraxl Enb, Dec 19, 2005
  11. Susan

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Susan <> writes:
    > Question: With the camera set to JPEG Fine, as you suggested, can
    > that be enlarged safety to an 8 x 10? Or would a 5 x 7 be more
    > acceptable?

    You'll have no trouble at 8x10 or even larger. The benefits of RAW
    are very minimal in most cases.

    > Anyway getting to know digital is a bit complex. I don't know too
    > much about buffers and why they are even needed.

    There are two kinds of memory in the camera. There's flash memory
    (the compact flash card that you use instead of film), which holds
    data without needing power, but writing to it is somewhat slow. If
    the camera stored pictures directly to flash, it could only shoot
    maybe one frame/sec in JPEG Fine, or maybe 0.2 fps in RAW, depending
    on the CF card. So the camera secondly also has RAM memory (like a
    computer has), which is fast, but which needs power and which loses
    its data when the camera is shut off.

    Buffering just means the camera temporarily puts the pictures in RAM
    when you shoot them, and then copies the RAM to flash. That means you
    can shoot at 3 fps until the RAM gets full. Then you have to wait a
    few seconds while the RAM contents get written out to flash. RAM
    memory used like that is called a buffer.

    Also, if you shoot a burst of pictures and then shut off the camera
    immediately, there's a little light on the camera that will keep
    blinking for a while. That means the RAM buffer is still being copied
    out to flash. You MUST NOT remove the CF card until the copying is
    finished and the light stops blinking.

    Paul Rubin, Dec 19, 2005