question connecting to LAN

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Linea Recta, Jan 23, 2009.

  1. Linea Recta

    Linea Recta Guest

    I have a network configuration briefly as follows:

    PC, wired to modem router, which is connected to ADSL.
    Laptop, wifi connected to LAN and internet.
    Pocket PC, wifi connected to LAN and internet.

    When all devices are on, I have no problems.
    Now, when I have the PC switched off, I can still keep surfing on internet
    with the pocket PC, but it seems I cannot make LAN connection to the laptop
    anymore.

    Is this normal, or do I have to modify something?

    --
    regards,

    |\ /|
    | \/ |@rk
    \../
    \/os

    Linea Recta, Jan 23, 2009

  2. Linea Recta

    smlunatick Guest

    On Jan 23, 6:15 pm, "Linea Recta" <> wrote:
    > I have a network configuration briefly as follows:
    >
    > PC, wired to modem router, which is connected to ADSL.
    > Laptop, wifi connected to LAN and internet.
    > Pocket PC, wifi connected to LAN and internet.
    >
    > When all devices are on, I have no problems.
    > Now, when I have the PC switched off, I can still keep surfing on internet
    > with the pocket PC, but it seems I cannot make LAN connection to the laptop
    > anymore.
    >
    > Is this normal, or do I have to modify something?
    >
    > --
    > regards,
    >
    > |\  /|
    > | \/ |@rk
    >  \../
    >   \/os

    So:

    ADSL ------- {router} ----------- [PC]
    :...................................
    [laptop]
    :.......[Pocket PC]

    (------- = wires, ........ = wireless )

    Is the above a sample to your "set ups?"

    smlunatick, Jan 23, 2009

  3. Hi
    You have to make sure that all the devices are independently connected to
    the Wireless Router (both wire and wireless if used), and that there is No
    direct AD-Hoc connection between any of the devices. Then set the File
    sharing on each computer.
    I did not have instructions for pocket PC.
    For Vista and XP the following can Help.
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    allowed to be shared.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Windows XP File Sharing -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 23, 2009
  4. Linea Recta

    Linea Recta Guest

    "smlunatick" <> schreef in bericht
    On Jan 23, 6:15 pm, "Linea Recta" <> wrote:
    > I have a network configuration briefly as follows:
    >
    > PC, wired to modem router, which is connected to ADSL.
    > Laptop, wifi connected to LAN and internet.
    > Pocket PC, wifi connected to LAN and internet.
    >
    > When all devices are on, I have no problems.
    > Now, when I have the PC switched off, I can still keep surfing on internet
    > with the pocket PC, but it seems I cannot make LAN connection to the
    > laptop
    > anymore.
    >
    > Is this normal, or do I have to modify something?
    >
    > --
    > regards,
    >
    > |\ /|
    > | \/ |@rk
    > \../
    > \/os

    ---quote---

    So:

    ADSL ------- {router} ----------- [PC]
    :...................................
    [laptop]
    :.......[Pocket PC]

    (------- = wires, ........ = wireless )

    Is the above a sample to your "set ups?"

    ---quote---

    That's correct.
    By the way, I noticed something else: with all devices on, I made a LAN
    connection from pocket PC to the laptop. After this I shut down the PC only.
    Now I still have the pocket PC to laptop connection...

    --
    regards,

    |\ /|
    | \/ |@rk
    \../
    \/os

    Linea Recta, Jan 23, 2009
  5. The PC is probably the Master Browser. When you shut it off you would have
    trouble picking up the other machines via the Netbios name or picking them
    in Network Places.

    Try connecting to the other machines when the PC is off by using the IP# at
    the "Run" line like this:

    \\192.168.1.103

    instead of

    \\mymachine

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Jan 23, 2009
  6. Linea Recta

    Linea Recta Guest

    "Phillip Windell" <> schreef in bericht
    > The PC is probably the Master Browser. When you shut it off you would
    > have trouble picking up the other machines via the Netbios name or picking
    > them in Network Places.
    >
    > Try connecting to the other machines when the PC is off by using the IP#
    > at the "Run" line like this:
    >
    > \\192.168.1.103
    >
    > instead of
    >
    > \\mymachine

    Today I was just going to try your suggestion. I switched on the router,
    laptop and pocket PC, and decided to give it another try the normal way
    first. Surprisingly I logged into the laptop without problems!
    So my conclusion is that this logging in thing with WM2003SE is just very
    unreliable...
    (I never have this sort of stagnation between PC and laptop.)

    --
    regards,

    |\ /|
    | \/ |@rk
    \../
    \/os

    Linea Recta, Jan 24, 2009
  7. "Linea Recta" <> wrote in message

    > Today I was just going to try your suggestion. I switched on the router,
    > laptop and pocket PC, and decided to give it another try the normal way
    > first. Surprisingly I logged into the laptop without problems!
    > So my conclusion is that this logging in thing with WM2003SE is just very
    > unreliable...
    > (I never have this sort of stagnation between PC and laptop.)

    No. Most likely it just means they were off long enough that when you turned
    on the laptop and pocket pc they forced a "browser election" and a Master
    Browser was chosen that was not the PC (since it was off) and things worked
    like they are normally supposed to.

    This can't be proven until the situation repeats itself at a later time and
    you do what I suggested.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com