Question concerning Dimage 7hi: Flash and Sound

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Quiet Voice, Jul 28, 2003.

  1. Quiet Voice

    Quiet Voice Guest

    Greetings:

    I have just recetnly purchased a Minolta Dimage 7Hi. Its a wonderful
    camera and I'm enjoy getting used to all the features and options
    available. Seems I'm learning something new everyday!

    But still, there are a few things that I have not been able to find
    covered in the users manual.

    One concerns the flash:
    I have set the flash for "Red Eye". In this mode, the flash fires 3
    times once the shutter release button is pressed. This menas that
    there is an effective delay of nearly 1 sec from the time the button
    is pushed until the picture is actually taken.

    Last night, I was out with some friends partying at a dance club. I
    wanted to take shots of folks out on the dance floor. Problem is that
    when I'd time a shot so that the person in motion would dance "into"
    the image, by the time the picture was actually taken, they'd danced
    back out of it!

    Is there a setting so that the flash fires right when the picture is
    being made?

    I've tried using "fill flash" but the image comes out too dark because
    the flash isn't as powerful.

    The other question concerns the sounds the camera makes:
    I have elected to turn off the sounds the camera makes. With that
    setting, mst of the sueaks and blips are silenced. But the camera
    still makes a couple of sounds (like mimicking the sound of a shutter
    falling). Is there a way to disable them as well? They just seem a
    little "silly".

    Advice and assistance appreciated!
    Thanks!

    Quiet Voice, Jul 28, 2003

  2. Quiet Voice

    Quiet Voice Guest

    et (HRosita) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I would suggest you download the D7Hi manual from the Minolta site. It is in
    > PDF format (2 parts) and then you can do a search any time you want a specific
    > answer. Easier than thumbing through the printed manual.

    Hi,

    Thank youf or the suggestion. That sounds like a very good idea.

    > As far as the pre-flash, I would suggest you disable it and get used to correct
    > red-eye in the image editor you are using.
    > It is easier and better.

    When you say "disable" do you mean setting it to manual? I noticed in
    the users guide that the flash can be set to "manual" and there's a
    table with guidelines on what flash strengths to use for a given
    distance to subject and lens apeture. Is this what you are refering
    to?

    The one drawback is that I don't have any post processing software. I
    intend to get a stripped down version of photoshop sometime soon. But
    not yet.

    I take it that there is no other way to deal with this?

    Thanks again!

    Quiet Voice, Jul 28, 2003