    Still Howlin' at the Moon!

    Wild Coyote
    wild_coyote<AT>whoppermail.com

    Wild Coyote, Apr 29, 2004

  2. Wild Coyote

    Doug MacLean Guest

    "Wild Coyote" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I am in the process of buying home entertainment system. I am looking
    > at the Sony 60" Grand WEGA LCD TV. I am also looking at the Sony
    > DAV-FC9 audio system. It is only a 5.1 sound system. My question is
    > are there a lot of DVDs that use 6.1 and is it worth looking for a 6.1
    > system or am I better off staying within the same brand for ease of
    > use.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > Still Howlin' at the Moon!
    >
    > Wild Coyote
    > wild_coyote<AT>whoppermail.com

    I maintain a list of current and pending DVDs featuring seven channel EX
    aned ES formats. I hope this helps out.

    http://www.hometheaterinfo.com/ex.htm

    --

    Doug MacLean
    Home Theater Info

    Doug MacLean, Apr 29, 2004

  3. Wild Coyote

    Wild Coyote Guest

    On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 21:03:51 GMT, "Doug MacLean"
    <> wrote:

    >"Wild Coyote" <> wrote in message
    >> I am in the process of buying home entertainment system. I am looking
    >> at the Sony 60" Grand WEGA LCD TV. I am also looking at the Sony
    >> DAV-FC9 audio system. It is only a 5.1 sound system. My question is
    >> are there a lot of DVDs that use 6.1 and is it worth looking for a 6.1
    >> system or am I better off staying within the same brand for ease of
    >> use.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Still Howlin' at the Moon!
    >>
    >> Wild Coyote
    >> wild_coyote<AT>whoppermail.com

    >I maintain a list of current and pending DVDs featuring seven channel EX
    >aned ES formats. I hope this helps out.
    >
    >http://www.hometheaterinfo.com/ex.htm

    Thanks Doug. I was going to hit your site after I got some feedback.
    Do you have a preference? Does it make that much difference?

    Wild Coyote, Apr 29, 2004
  4. Wild Coyote wrote:

    > I am in the process of buying home entertainment system. I am looking
    > at the Sony 60" Grand WEGA LCD TV.

    Why? LCD is probably the *last* thing I'd go with. Bad viewing angles
    and a strange blue tint. Plus you can't get the right black level on an
    LCD screen.

    I am also looking at the Sony
    > DAV-FC9 audio system. It is only a 5.1 sound system. My question is
    > are there a lot of DVDs that use 6.1 and is it worth looking for a 6.1
    > system or am I better off staying within the same brand for ease of
    > use.

    I don't recommend Sony stuff. Too much of it falls apart too soon. As
    for 6.1 vs 5.1, 6.1 is preferred but it also depends on where you're
    putting the system. You can imagine where the stereo and center
    speakers go. The surround should be on either side of you, but slightly
    behind you too. The rear speakers (there are two rear speakers even
    though there is only one rear channel) should be behind you. In my
    current setup I have to compromise and put the surround mostly behind
    me, instead of on either side. Basically, they're where rear speakers
    on a 6.1 system would go. This prevents me from going to 6.1. Consider
    where you'd put speakers before deciding which system is right for you.

    --
    "Don't ask me, I'm just a girl!"
    --Hilary Clinton

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Apr 29, 2004
  5. Wild Coyote

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    > I am in the process of buying home entertainment system. I am looking
    > at the Sony 60" Grand WEGA LCD TV. I am also looking at the Sony
    > DAV-FC9 audio system. It is only a 5.1 sound system. My question is
    > are there a lot of DVDs that use 6.1 and is it worth looking for a 6.1
    > system or am I better off staying within the same brand for ease of
    > use.

    How big a room will this be in? If it's a large space with your other
    surround speakers placed fairly far apart, a center rear channel can
    help to fill the rear soundstage. If it's a small space, you'll find
    less need for it.

    Joshua Zyber, Apr 30, 2004
  6. Wild Coyote

    Robin Guest

    "Grand Inquisitor" <> wrote in message
    > Wild Coyote wrote:
    >
    > > I am in the process of buying home entertainment system.

    I am looking
    > > at the Sony 60" Grand WEGA LCD TV.

    > Why? LCD is probably the *last* thing I'd go with. Bad

    viewing angles
    > and a strange blue tint. Plus you can't get the right

    black level on an
    > LCD screen.

    The vertical viewing angles are bad, but unless you watch TV
    standing up this isn't a problem. The horizontal viewing
    angles are fabulous. I haven't noticed a blue tint, and the
    black levels have very much improved in more recent models.
    LCD provides a much better picture than plasma and is very
    comparable to DLP, only cheaper than both.

    Robin, Apr 30, 2004
  7. Wild Coyote

    Wild Coyote Guest

    On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 02:58:42 GMT, "Robin" <>
    wrote:

    >"Grand Inquisitor" <> wrote in message
    >> Wild Coyote wrote:
    >>
    >> > I am in the process of buying home entertainment system.

    >I am looking
    >> > at the Sony 60" Grand WEGA LCD TV.

    >> Why? LCD is probably the *last* thing I'd go with. Bad

    >viewing angles
    >> and a strange blue tint. Plus you can't get the right

    >black level on an
    >> LCD screen.
    >>

    >The vertical viewing angles are bad, but unless you watch TV
    >standing up this isn't a problem. The horizontal viewing
    >angles are fabulous. I haven't noticed a blue tint, and the
    >black levels have very much improved in more recent models.
    >LCD provides a much better picture than plasma and is very
    >comparable to DLP, only cheaper than both.

    I saw this same model at a friend's house and I was very impressed
    with it. I too had stayed away from considering the rear projection
    LCDs because of the picture quality, but these new High Def Grand Vega
    systems from Sony were quite impressive.

    thanks for the input.

    Wild Coyote, Apr 30, 2004
  8. Wild Coyote

    Wild Coyote Guest

    On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 22:29:40 GMT, Grand Inquisitor
    <> wrote:

    >Wild Coyote wrote:
    >
    >> I am in the process of buying home entertainment system. I am looking
    >> at the Sony 60" Grand WEGA LCD TV.

    >Why? LCD is probably the *last* thing I'd go with. Bad viewing angles
    >and a strange blue tint. Plus you can't get the right black level on an
    >LCD screen.
    >
    > I am also looking at the Sony
    >> DAV-FC9 audio system. It is only a 5.1 sound system. My question is
    >> are there a lot of DVDs that use 6.1 and is it worth looking for a 6.1
    >> system or am I better off staying within the same brand for ease of
    >> use.

    >I don't recommend Sony stuff. Too much of it falls apart too soon. As
    >for 6.1 vs 5.1, 6.1 is preferred but it also depends on where you're
    >putting the system. You can imagine where the stereo and center
    >speakers go. The surround should be on either side of you, but slightly
    >behind you too. The rear speakers (there are two rear speakers even
    >though there is only one rear channel) should be behind you. In my
    >current setup I have to compromise and put the surround mostly behind
    >me, instead of on either side. Basically, they're where rear speakers
    >on a 6.1 system would go. This prevents me from going to 6.1. Consider
    >where you'd put speakers before deciding which system is right for you.

    You just described my situation almost exactly. I guess it is 5.1,
    because the surround speakers will have to be slightly behind us.

    Thanks for your help.

    Wild Coyote, Apr 30, 2004
  9. Wild Coyote

    Wild Coyote Guest

    On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 23:03:03 GMT, "Joshua Zyber"
    <> wrote:

    >"Wild Coyote" <> wrote in message
    >> I am in the process of buying home entertainment system. I am looking
    >> at the Sony 60" Grand WEGA LCD TV. I am also looking at the Sony
    >> DAV-FC9 audio system. It is only a 5.1 sound system. My question is
    >> are there a lot of DVDs that use 6.1 and is it worth looking for a 6.1
    >> system or am I better off staying within the same brand for ease of
    >> use.

    >How big a room will this be in? If it's a large space with your other
    >surround speakers placed fairly far apart, a center rear channel can
    >help to fill the rear soundstage. If it's a small space, you'll find
    >less need for it.

    It is not big enough. I think I would have more speakers then room.
    Thanks for the input. I learned more in these few replies then from
    talking to several other people.

    Wild Coyote, Apr 30, 2004
  10. Wild Coyote

    Robin Guest

    > On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 02:58:42 GMT, "Robin"

    <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"Grand Inquisitor" <> wrote in

    message

    system.
    > >I am looking
    > >>
    > >> Why? LCD is probably the *last* thing I'd go with.

    Bad
    > >viewing angles
    > >> and a strange blue tint. Plus you can't get the right

    > >black level on an
    > >> LCD screen.
    > >>

    > >The vertical viewing angles are bad, but unless you watch

    TV
    > >standing up this isn't a problem. The horizontal viewing
    > >angles are fabulous. I haven't noticed a blue tint, and

    the
    > >black levels have very much improved in more recent

    models.
    > >LCD provides a much better picture than plasma and is

    very
    > >comparable to DLP, only cheaper than both.
    > >

    > I saw this same model at a friend's house and I was very

    impressed
    > with it. I too had stayed away from considering the rear

    projection
    > LCDs because of the picture quality, but these new High

    Def Grand Vega
    > systems from Sony were quite impressive.
    >
    > thanks for the input.

    I got the 42" Grand Wega LCD because my LR is pretty narrow,
    and it is only 14" deep. I love it. I love my electronics
    and always research heavily when buying a major component.
    I have been a bit disappointed with my decision, SO FAR LOL

    Robin, May 1, 2004
  11. Wild Coyote

    Wild Coyote Guest

    On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 23:00:21 GMT, "Robin" <>
    wrote:

    >"Wild Coyote" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 02:58:42 GMT, "Robin"

    ><>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >> >"Grand Inquisitor" <> wrote in

    >message

    >system.
    >> >I am looking

    >Bad
    >> >viewing angles
    >> >black level on an
    >> >>

    >> >The vertical viewing angles are bad, but unless you watch

    >TV
    >> >standing up this isn't a problem. The horizontal viewing
    >> >angles are fabulous. I haven't noticed a blue tint, and

    >the
    >> >black levels have very much improved in more recent

    >models.
    >> >LCD provides a much better picture than plasma and is

    >very
    >> >comparable to DLP, only cheaper than both.
    >> >

    >> I saw this same model at a friend's house and I was very

    >impressed
    >> with it. I too had stayed away from considering the rear

    >projection
    >> LCDs because of the picture quality, but these new High

    >Def Grand Vega
    >> systems from Sony were quite impressive.
    >>
    >> thanks for the input.
    >>

    >I got the 42" Grand Wega LCD because my LR is pretty narrow,
    >and it is only 14" deep. I love it. I love my electronics
    >and always research heavily when buying a major component.
    >I have been a bit disappointed with my decision, SO FAR LOL

    Thanks for the vote. I need to get out there and finish it up this
    weekend. I am starting to drool. <BFG>

    Wild Coyote, May 1, 2004
  12. Wild Coyote

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    > It is not big enough. I think I would have more speakers then room.
    > Thanks for the input. I learned more in these few replies then from
    > talking to several other people.

    You can always buy a 6.1 capable receiver and simply not connect or
    enable the center rear channel. That way you'll be "future-proofed" in
    case you move and decide you want more speakers later.

    Joshua Zyber, May 1, 2004