QUESTION: Certs without classes?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Certification' started by Mark Edwards, Feb 2, 2008.

  1. Mark Edwards

    Mark Edwards Guest

    I am close to finishing my MCSD - just have to take the vendor exam,
    and I have a question or three.

    I took the classes through TechSkills, at which time I found I knew
    most of the material before I tested. Admittedly, the classes helped
    reinforce what I knew, so that I was better able to pass the certs.

    My questions are: are classes REQUIRED before taking a cert (my guess
    is no), or is a proctored "pretest" of any sort required before taking
    the cert (my guess here is also no), or can I just walk into a testing
    center and say "I are a fart smella.. I mean smart fella - give me a
    test to prove it!"

    I often think I can work through a Certification Training Kit book,
    take some of the included prep tests, and then take the certification
    test, saving thousands of dollars in the process.

    Is my thinking faulty, or could I get my certifications through
    self-study without third-party expenses? When I think of all the books
    I COULD have bought with that money...

    Thanks in advance,
    Mark Edwards

    Mark Edwards, Feb 2, 2008

  2. "Mark Edwards" <> wrote in message

    > I am close to finishing my MCSD - just have to take the vendor exam,
    > and I have a question or three.
    >
    > I took the classes through TechSkills, at which time I found I knew
    > most of the material before I tested. Admittedly, the classes helped
    > reinforce what I knew, so that I was better able to pass the certs.
    >
    > My questions are: are classes REQUIRED before taking a cert (my guess
    > is no), or is a proctored "pretest" of any sort required before taking
    > the cert (my guess here is also no), or can I just walk into a testing
    > center and say "I are a fart smella.. I mean smart fella - give me a
    > test to prove it!"
    >
    > I often think I can work through a Certification Training Kit book,
    > take some of the included prep tests, and then take the certification
    > test, saving thousands of dollars in the process.
    >
    > Is my thinking faulty, or could I get my certifications through
    > self-study without third-party expenses? When I think of all the books
    > I COULD have bought with that money...
    >

    > Thanks in advance,
    > Mark Edwards

    In order: no, no, and no. I say no to your 3rd question because you have
    to schedule your exams first through Prometric. Yes, it is sad that has
    to be said. But having worked for a computer learning center in the past
    which proctored exams, I have seen walk-ins wanting to take the exams on
    the fly.

    Classes are good if you learning in a classroom environment. A majority
    of classes also provide some hands on experience as well as their share
    of labs. Books are good if you don't fall asleep easily. Since you are
    in or wanting to get into the I.T. field, falling asleep shouldn't be an
    issue. The only true route to certification bliss is experience with the
    technology. So put away your checkbook, roll up your sleeves and dig
    into the technology.

    Microsoft Exam Security Newsgroup -

    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Feb 2, 2008

  3. "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]" <> wrote in
    message news:%...
    > "Mark Edwards" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> I am close to finishing my MCSD - just have to take the vendor exam,
    >> and I have a question or three.
    >>
    >> I took the classes through TechSkills, at which time I found I knew
    >> most of the material before I tested. Admittedly, the classes helped
    >> reinforce what I knew, so that I was better able to pass the certs.
    >>
    >> My questions are: are classes REQUIRED before taking a cert (my guess
    >> is no), or is a proctored "pretest" of any sort required before taking
    >> the cert (my guess here is also no), or can I just walk into a testing
    >> center and say "I are a fart smella.. I mean smart fella - give me a
    >> test to prove it!"
    >>
    >> I often think I can work through a Certification Training Kit book,
    >> take some of the included prep tests, and then take the certification
    >> test, saving thousands of dollars in the process.
    >>
    >> Is my thinking faulty, or could I get my certifications through
    >> self-study without third-party expenses? When I think of all the books
    >> I COULD have bought with that money...
    >>

    >> Thanks in advance,
    >> Mark Edwards

    > In order: no, no, and no. I say no to your 3rd question because you have
    > to schedule your exams first through Prometric. Yes, it is sad that has to
    > be said. But having worked for a computer learning center in the past
    > which proctored exams, I have seen walk-ins wanting to take the exams on
    > the fly.

    Actually, there are some exam centers (typically those less travelled) that
    will accept walk-ins. (An occupied seat is money that an unoccupied seat
    can't earn!)

    The problem with 'walk-ins' is that it may take up to 30 minutes to 'set up'
    your exam session. Appointments can usually be made with 24 hours notice, so
    there's really no reason /not/ to make the appointment.

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCBMSP, MCTS, MCP

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

    Lawrence Garvin, Feb 16, 2008
  4. Mark Edwards

    John R Guest

    "Lawrence Garvin" <> wrote in message

    > Actually, there are some exam centers (typically those less travelled)
    > that will accept walk-ins. (An occupied seat is money that an unoccupied
    > seat can't earn!)
    >
    > The problem with 'walk-ins' is that it may take up to 30 minutes to 'set
    > up' your exam session. Appointments can usually be made with 24 hours
    > notice, so there's really no reason /not/ to make the appointment.

    All of the tests (10 so far) that I have taken were walk-ins. The Pearson
    Vue center in Pittsburgh was never busy. They had 7 or 8 workstations, and
    I think maybe twice there was a second person there taking a test at the
    same time as I was. A couple times I called them as I left the house to go
    there, but more often than not, I just showed up. However, I never went on
    a Saturday, I always went on a week night.

    This wasn't a conscience effort on my part, I just didn't want the added
    pressure of thinking I had to be ready by a certain time. When the feeling
    came over me, I went.

    You are correct however in that I did have to wait while they downloaded my
    test which typically took anywhere from 15 to 25 minutes. The registration
    process itself was only a couple minutes.

    I have yet to go to Prometric, but it will be coming up soon as I start on
    Vista and Server 2008 exams.

    John R

    John R, Feb 16, 2008