QUESTION: Canon 40D - any credible evidence it's really coming?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by BD, May 30, 2007.

  1. BD

    BD Guest

    Hey, all.

    I have a Canon 300D.

    Its limitations are starting to annoy me (most of these concern bus
    speed, bootup speed, and speed in continuous shooting mode), and I am
    interested in an upgrade.

    I think the best option for me would be a 40D.

    But it sounds like people who have been forecasting the 40D's arrival
    and features are doing so based mainly on established release
    schedules. To this point, I've seen no direct indication from Canon
    that this model is coming - ever.

    Can someone prove me wrong? My thinking is that I'll happily wait
    until August, which is the likely arrival time, based on the 18-month
    rotation of new models - but if it's not really coming down the pike,
    I should consider the XTi instead.

    Any thoughts??

    Thanks,

    BD
    BD, May 30, 2007

  2. BD

    Haydon Guest

    You have very little chance of knowing anything about future Canon products,
    until Canon decide to release a press release or showcase it.

    Going by previous trends is the only thing you can do, because Canon are
    very, very secretive. Quite impressive really how they can keep future
    products as secretive as they do.

    Haydon, May 30, 2007

  3. BD

    frederick Guest

    BD wrote:
    > Hey, all.
    >
    > I have a Canon 300D.
    >
    > Its limitations are starting to annoy me (most of these concern bus
    > speed, bootup speed, and speed in continuous shooting mode), and I am
    > interested in an upgrade.
    >
    > I think the best option for me would be a 40D.
    >
    > But it sounds like people who have been forecasting the 40D's arrival
    > and features are doing so based mainly on established release
    > schedules. To this point, I've seen no direct indication from Canon
    > that this model is coming - ever.
    >
    > Can someone prove me wrong? My thinking is that I'll happily wait
    > until August, which is the likely arrival time, based on the 18-month
    > rotation of new models - but if it's not really coming down the pike,
    > I should consider the XTi instead.
    >
    > Any thoughts??
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > BD

    This might be credible evidence of something - but perhaps not the
    arrival of the D30 replacement.
    Leading retailer in New Zealand has dropped the price of the 30d - it's
    currently selling for about half way between the Nikon D40x and D80
    price. IMO a bargain at that price.
    frederick, May 30, 2007
  4. BD

    JohnR66 Guest

    "BD" <> wrote in message
    > Hey, all.
    >
    > I have a Canon 300D.
    >
    > Its limitations are starting to annoy me (most of these concern bus
    > speed, bootup speed, and speed in continuous shooting mode), and I am
    > interested in an upgrade.
    >
    > I think the best option for me would be a 40D.
    >
    > But it sounds like people who have been forecasting the 40D's arrival
    > and features are doing so based mainly on established release
    > schedules. To this point, I've seen no direct indication from Canon
    > that this model is coming - ever.
    >
    > Can someone prove me wrong? My thinking is that I'll happily wait
    > until August, which is the likely arrival time, based on the 18-month
    > rotation of new models - but if it's not really coming down the pike,
    > I should consider the XTi instead.
    >
    > Any thoughts??
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > BD

    The next chance (typically) for Canon to announce a new SLR is in August.

    The XTi is a faster camera all around with much deeper buffers, more
    features and custom functions. I upgraded from the original 6mp Rebel and
    I'm happy. It is slightly smaller than the first digital rebel. You may not
    like the hand grip. I'd get my hands on one in a store to see how you like
    it.
    John
    JohnR66, May 31, 2007
  5. BD

    hawridger Guest

    hawridger, May 31, 2007
  6. BD

    Mark² Guest

    BD wrote:
    > Hey, all.
    >
    > I have a Canon 300D.
    >
    > Its limitations are starting to annoy me (most of these concern bus
    > speed, bootup speed, and speed in continuous shooting mode), and I am
    > interested in an upgrade.
    >
    > I think the best option for me would be a 40D.
    >
    > But it sounds like people who have been forecasting the 40D's arrival
    > and features are doing so based mainly on established release
    > schedules. To this point, I've seen no direct indication from Canon
    > that this model is coming - ever.
    >
    > Can someone prove me wrong? My thinking is that I'll happily wait
    > until August, which is the likely arrival time, based on the 18-month
    > rotation of new models - but if it's not really coming down the pike,
    > I should consider the XTi instead.
    >
    > Any thoughts??
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > BD

    It's coming...by that name, or another. The 30D was clearly a stop-gap,
    just like the 1DMIIn was. -Both very minor tweaks to existing bodies. The
    20D is long over-due for a revamp, and the 30D didn't qualify as that.

    Canon is incredibly good at keeping their secrets. -Perhaps as good or
    better than any consumer company. The speculation over the new pro body was
    all over the map...right up until the very day they made their official
    announcement. And...many good sources were quite wrong right up to the end.
    This tells us that Canon is good at secrets.

    It will come soon...but exactly when is anyone's guess.

    As for me... I don't personally care on this one, since my 1D Mark III
    arrived this morning (although stupid UPS left it on my porch without a
    signature for three hours, before I could leave work...come home...and hope
    to find it still there). Sheesh. Yesterday, they did the exact same thing
    with a $5500 item!

    Anyway... If you can wait until the fall, you will almost certainly have
    your answer. Perhaps sooner. If not...then Canon would be seriously
    breaking with past practice.

    -Mark²

    www.pbase.com/markuson
    Mark², May 31, 2007
  7. BD

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 31 May 2007 00:37:08 -0700, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
    number here)@cox..net> wrote:

    > This tells us that Canon is good at secrets.
    >
    > It will come soon...but exactly when is anyone's guess.

    Wrong! They told me, but I'm just as good at keeping secrets.

    > As for me... I don't personally care on this one, since my 1D Mark III . . .

    Endowed you with "he must be a real photographer" status. :)
    ASAAR, May 31, 2007
  8. BD

    BD Guest

    > Anyway... If you can wait until the fall, you will almost certainly have
    > your answer. Perhaps sooner. If not...then Canon would be seriously
    > breaking with past practice.

    Yes, I can certainly wait. The inadequacies I now see in my 6MP Rebel
    are relatively minor. But being unable to take more than 7 RAW shots
    in a row without waiting 15 seconds for the data to spool to the card
    is getting *really* old.

    Thanks!
    BD, Jun 1, 2007
  9. BD

    Mark² Guest

    BD wrote:
    >> Anyway... If you can wait until the fall, you will almost certainly
    >> have your answer. Perhaps sooner. If not...then Canon would be
    >> seriously breaking with past practice.

    > Yes, I can certainly wait. The inadequacies I now see in my 6MP Rebel
    > are relatively minor. But being unable to take more than 7 RAW shots
    > in a row without waiting 15 seconds for the data to spool to the card
    > is getting *really* old.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Yes. 6MP does extremely well, and far better than many people assume...so
    long as you take care and use decent technique, etc. I'm no "expert" or
    "master photographer," but here are a couple images taken with my 6MP 10D.
    In fact, the vast majority of images on my site were taken with the measly
    6MP on my 10D.

    Both of the following shots enlarge extremely well, and are on my wall at
    home:
    This next one is a panorama of 3 stitched 10D images:
    That last one is printed at 16"x about 40+" and holds up extremely
    well...even upon close inpection with my very picky eyes (though the rocky
    subject matter helps, somewhat).

    My site:
    www.pbase.com/markuson
    Take a look at the landscapes. A few of those were even shot with the old
    D30 (not 30D, but the 3.25MP D30...Canon's first consumer DSLR back in '99).
    You'd besurprised how well they print at 8x12. :) Now I use the 12.8MP 5D
    and the (as of yesterday) 1D Mark III at 10MP (but at blazing speeds). I'm
    sick that I can't even spend time during the day these last two days to
    shoot with it outdoors... There's only so much you can experiment with
    inside one's house... :)

    Take care,

    -Mark²

    www.pbase.com/markuson
    Mark², Jun 1, 2007
  10. BD

    Mark B. Guest

    "BD" <> wrote in message
    > Hey, all.
    >
    > I have a Canon 300D.
    >
    > Its limitations are starting to annoy me (most of these concern bus
    > speed, bootup speed, and speed in continuous shooting mode), and I am
    > interested in an upgrade.
    >
    > I think the best option for me would be a 40D.
    >
    > But it sounds like people who have been forecasting the 40D's arrival
    > and features are doing so based mainly on established release
    > schedules. To this point, I've seen no direct indication from Canon
    > that this model is coming - ever.

    Assuming an August announcement (which is the most logical based on - of
    course - past releases) it's way too early for any credible rumors. Canon
    keeps new models a well-kept secret until they're ready. Don't believe
    anything other than an official Canon announcement.

    Mark
    Mark B., Jun 1, 2007
  11. BD

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Wed, 30 May 2007 19:28:53 -0700, "hawridger" <>
    wrote:

    >The latest rumors suggest a July announcement:
    >
    >http://www.photographybay.com/2007/04/30/canon-40d-due-july-07/

    >RecGroups : the community-oriented newsreader : www.recgroups.com

    Does Canon release new models in June or July?

    Paris Hilton called Barbara Walters from prison
    Monday to say she is giving up her dumb act.
    The heiress said she's not the ditzy character
    she plays in public. She said while in prison
    she found God, but was baffled as to why God
    was in prison.
    Bill Funk, Jun 14, 2007