    Anyway...could it not be determined some way if something like that
    was the case?

    Thanks in advance!
    S Claus, Feb 15, 2009

  2. S Claus

    Volker Birk Guest

    Re: QUESTION: are all windows boxes automatically members of some ?microsoft domain?

    In comp.security.misc S Claus <> wrote:
    > I had read somewhere a comment by a Unix administrator where he
    > claimed that all Windows boxes are always part of some Microsoft
    > "parent" domain or something like that.

    Sounds like nonsense.

    Yours,
    VB.
    --
    Bitte beachten Sie auch die Rückseite dieses Schreibens!
    Volker Birk, Feb 15, 2009

  3. S Claus

    VanguardLH Guest

    S Claus wrote:

    > I had read somewhere a comment by a Unix administrator where he
    > claimed that all Windows boxes are always part of some Microsoft
    > "parent" domain or something like that. I do not remember the exact
    > formulation of what he called it but the meaning of it was that
    > Microsoft has some-sort-of authority over all Windows systems. I was
    > not sure if the comment had been made tongue-in-cheek. Anyway...could
    > it not be determined some way if something like that was the case?

    Um, just WHERE did you *read* this self-proclaimed Unix "administrator"
    comment? Or is this really YOUR question but trying to allay negative
    replies by pretending someone else said it?
    VanguardLH, Feb 15, 2009
  4. Re: QUESTION: are all windows boxes automatically members of some microsoft domain?

    Hello S,

    Never heard about that. Did he mention where he find that statement? Would
    be really interesting to read it. Sounds like that he will make fun with
    that.

    Best regards

    Meinolf Weber
    no rights.

    Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS], Feb 15, 2009
  5. S Claus

    Gerard Bok Guest

    Re: QUESTION: are all windows boxes automatically members of some microsoft domain?

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 21:45:31 -0800 (PST), S Claus
    <> wrote:

    >I had read somewhere a comment by a Unix administrator where he
    >claimed that all Windows boxes are always part of some Microsoft
    >"parent" domain or something like that.
    >
    >I do not remember the exact formulation of what he called it but the
    >meaning of it was that Microsoft has some-sort-of authority over all
    >Windows systems.

    Maybe he was referring to the NSA-key story.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSAKEY

    >I was not sure if the comment had been made tongue-in-cheek.

    Well, MS bashing is a popular UNIX admin's passtime.
    (Which does not mean that all stories are hoaxes :)

    >Anyway...could it not be determined some way if something like that
    >was the case?

    Practically, millions of Windows boxes receive 'updates &
    patches' from Microsoft.
    Sometimes without any local admin intervention.
    Which does indicate some 'super admin' position, imho.

    --
    Kind regards,
    Gerard Bok
    Gerard Bok, Feb 16, 2009
  6. S Claus

    Billb Guest

    Microsoft does not make all Windows part of some Microsoft domain.
    The article that you read was probably talking about Microsoft Product
    Authentication. This program was started a couple of years ago when
    Microsoft released it's Windows Genuine Advantage program. Under this
    program M/S can check a system before it downloads and applies O/S
    patches. Microsoft also checked to see if the O/S was properly
    purchased, and if it determined that he O/S was not properly licensed
    it would refuse to run. Microsoft has had problems with this program
    and I'm not sure where M/S is going with this program, but I believe
    it has stopped using this with Internet Explorer, and it may
    discontinue this "service" if it has not done so already.

    Sincerely,
    Bill
    Billb, Feb 18, 2009