question (and poll?) for security professionals

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by alex, Nov 17, 2005.

  1. alex

    alex Guest

    Hi,

    There are a number of security specialized Linux live-CDs out there,
    including:

    * Knoppix-STD
    * Local Area Security Linux
    * Phlak
    * Whax
    * Auditor Security Linux
    * Linux Defender
    * Erpross Live (in German only)
    * Arudius
    * Operator

    Which, if any, do you use? Why? Can you compare/contrat these tools?
    Which would you reccommend to an aspiring security professional?

    Thanks!

    Alex
    alex, Nov 17, 2005

  2. alex

    ShadowEyez Guest

    I personally have used (among others) Knoppix, Local Area Security,
    Auditor, one called AUSTRUMI (which has the NT offline password editor)
    and a "windows-like" knoppix from Nu productions called Bart's PE.
    Basically these are all good tools for different needs, but with
    security on computers you have to have exactly the right tool for the
    right need.

    I will say that for overall hardware compatibility and breadth of
    general tools, including a little security, and recovery, knoppix is the
    best that I have used - it's compatibility with lots of hardware alone
    makes it very handy. If you need to recover stuff (or write stuff) from
    a windows disk with an NTFS partition, the windows-like one (you have to
    make your self but it's very powerful/customizable) is great.

    David

    ShadowEyez, Nov 18, 2005

  3. alex wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > There are a number of security specialized Linux live-CDs out there,
    > including:
    >
    > * Knoppix-STD
    > * Local Area Security Linux
    > * Phlak
    > * Whax
    > * Auditor Security Linux
    > * Linux Defender
    > * Erpross Live (in German only)
    > * Arudius
    > * Operator
    >
    > Which, if any, do you use? Why? Can you compare/contrat these tools?
    > Which would you reccommend to an aspiring security professional?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Alex

    Hi Alex

    Although i am not a security professional to the standard of many in
    here, i can't help but respond. I use gentoo, a fiddly install but one
    that allows different security levels to be applied and access to
    hardened versions of common tools, and a number of forensic tools
    available to be merged into the system.

    http://packages.gentoo.org/packages/?category=app-forensics

    Use the search tool on the above link to find if other tools you need
    are directly ported to gentoo. Gentoo also provides tools for you to
    create your own livecd where you can create such a cd to *your* specific
    needs.

    HTH

    Martin Spencer-Ford
    (TpwUK)