Question: Adding Wireless to a Hard-Wired Home Office (w/Web & Email)

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Nick Knight, Jan 4, 2005.

  1. Nick Knight

    Nick Knight Guest

    Hi.

    I've been running a productive small network in my home for over 3 years
    now. I have a mix of Windows OS's (XP, 98, NT4 and 2000), and even an old
    OS/2 box. All sharing the internet, files and printers happily. All
    hard-wired to my Netopia R9100 router and DSL modem.

    My Netopia is the limited user variety ... I have 8 ports and I believe 12
    IP's I can use. I also use its configuration to route email and web
    requests to a server machine. The SMTP server is on a non-standard port.

    I have a machine I want to put downstairs in a far corner of the house.
    Wireless seems like the thing to do, but I'm unclear as to what I must do to
    add this to my network. Internet sharing is important, but so is access to
    disk drives. I want it to look like any other machine on my network.

    First question: What would I need to do to simply make a wireless link from
    my Netopia to this new machine? I do have an empty cable plug on the
    router. Is this difficult? To make a single wireless machine appear on the
    network like any other hardwired machine?

    The Tougher Thought: I'd even consider switching routers to a newer
    wireless, as long as it had some hardwired connections, too. However, I
    need to make sure I can route web and email traffic to the correct internal
    IP. Reading boxes and online info, I have been unable to tell if today's
    lower end wireless routers offer this capability. Is this common? Can
    anyone recommend a specific brand/model that they know does this?

    I'd go for a newer router only because I can see adding more machines later.
    Wireless sure would make life easier.

    Thanks in advance,

    Nick
    Nick Knight, Jan 4, 2005

  2. Nick Knight

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    There is few ways to slice this cake.

    However if you would like to leave your current system as is.

    Buy an Access Point and plug it to the any available port on the Router or
    the switch.

    Buy Client Wireless Card for the "lonely" far away computer.

    It takes few minutes to configure and done. Wireless just replaces the wire
    past the actual Wireless configuration the Network Setting and Sharing is
    the same as the Wired.

    The following pages might serve as a general primer.

    Wireless Router as an AP: http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

    Wireless hardware: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Jan 5, 2005

  3. Nick Knight

    Nick Knight Guest

    In <>, on 01/04/2005
    at 11:41 PM, "Jack" <> said:

    >There is few ways to slice this cake.

    >However if you would like to leave your current system as is.

    >Buy an Access Point and plug it to the any available port on the Router or
    >the switch.

    >Buy Client Wireless Card for the "lonely" far away computer.

    >It takes few minutes to configure and done. Wireless just replaces the wire
    >past the actual Wireless configuration the Network Setting and Sharing is
    >the same as the Wired.

    Thanks, Jack. I was beginning to worry that my question was too verbose,
    and no one would answer!

    If I don't find a better solution, I will do exactly what you've suggested.

    However, what I'm still hoping to find out is that there is some type of
    "access point" that provides for multiple wireless hookups. Where network
    sharing is the same as with hardwire ... and I can use some of the
    still-available IP addresses my router can handle.

    I suppose I could get by with simply adding this single remote PC to my
    network ... using an Access Point. Adding yet-another PC is a remote
    chance, and wouldn't happen soon. Perhaps I'll have other/better options
    when it becomes necessary.

    Thanks again for your reply,

    Nick
    Nick Knight, Jan 6, 2005