Question about winnt32.exe parm switches

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by Tech, Nov 12, 2006.

  1. Tech

    Tech Guest

    Studying for my MCP I've come across something in which I'm being tripped up
    by the wording.. any help would be appreciated.

    Per the book:
    /dushare:pathname
    Specifies a share on which you previously downloaded DU files (updated files
    for use with setup) from MS d/l center.

    When run from your installation share and used with /duprepare, it prepares
    the updated files for use in networkbased client installations.

    When used w/o /duprepare and run on a client, it specifies that the client
    installation will use the updated files on the share specified in the path.

    Now.. I've read this over and over.. there are 3 concepts stated here.
    Perhaps it is the way it is being stated.. but it is losing me in
    translation. Please help.
    --
    Thanks,
    Tech
    Tech, Nov 12, 2006

  2. Tech

    Tjunior Guest

    As I understand, you have to run /duprepare:path first, then you run winnt32
    /dushare:path. Or, you can the switch the same time, winnt32 /duprepare:path
    /dushare:path

    For example, if you save update files into a folder named updates, you run
    winnt32 /duprepare:updates to prepare the files. Then, you run winnt32
    /dushare:updates when you are ready to install Windows XP.

    If you use winnt32 without /duprepare, the setup will try to check Microsoft
    Windows update web site and downloads any updates found. This is true if you
    have a live Internet connection during the installation.

    Tjunior, Nov 16, 2006