    Dennis Pack
    XP x64, Vista Enterprise x64
    Office Prof. Plus 2007

    Dennis Pack, Jun 1, 2007

  2. There is no comparison at all between the two. Apples and Oranges.

    That being said, I'd be very surprised if there weren't a downloadable
    solution to the 64-bit client issue within a very reasonable time frame
    after general product availability.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 1, 2007

  3. Dennis Pack

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Charlie:
    Thanks for the reply and confirming my suspicions. Have a great day.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    XP x64, Vista Enterprise x64

    Dennis Pack, Jun 1, 2007
  4. On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 06:03:34 GMT, Charlie Russel - MVP wrote
    in news::

    > There is no comparison at all between the two. Apples and
    > Oranges.
    >
    > That being said, I'd be very surprised if there weren't a
    > downloadable solution to the 64-bit client issue within a
    > very reasonable time frame after general product
    > availability.

    Lack of the 64-bit client has been frustrating to me, too. Based on what you said a week or so ago, I've been wading through the
    SBS world. With Exchange, it looks as it's exactly what I want. But, at the same time, I'm really concerned about commiting to
    that item (the original, not R2) when there seems as if there are so many changes that will emerge in the next year or so.

    I suppose what I want is some sort of reassurance that SBS 03 will be supported for at least 4 or 5 years.

    Flatus

    Flatus Ohlfahrt, Jun 2, 2007
  5. Well, the place to post this is one of the SBS newsgroups, but since I'm in
    both, I'll answer. SBS 2k3 will undoubtedly be supported officially for as
    long as Server 2k3 is supported. Certainly it will be supported for several
    years past now. That being said, once Cougar (the beta name for the next
    version) is released, the clock on the old one will start ticking. We know
    that Cougar will be 64-bit only (see Charlie pull a total off-topic post
    back to legitimate<G>), so their will be a major shift in the hardware
    requirements for it. This will slow down adoption, I"m sure, if only because
    the migration will be more complex. And upgrade is out of the question.
    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 2, 2007
  6. Thanks for getting back. I will go to SBS instead of WHS. I have a nice Athlon 64 754 box w/1-GB that I'll load up with
    drives. Should make a nice server.

    I'll continue on w/XP x64 with a 4-GB AM2. And I have another 4-GB am2 that I'll use as a general purpose XP pro machine.

    I'll remove WHS from the machine it's now on. I'll use that box for experimentation. I think I'll mess around with some multi-
    homed stuff--haven't done that since I was using ISDN years ago. (It's nice being retired--but Social Security doesn't go to
    far so migration is essential.)

    The only pure SBS group that I've found is m.p.w.s.SBS. Do you know of a group that is more like this one--with really helpful
    people such as you?

    Thanks, again.

    Flatus

    On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 18:43:14 GMT, Charlie Russel - MVP wrote
    in news::

    > Well, the place to post this is one of the SBS newsgroups,
    > but since I'm in both, I'll answer. SBS 2k3 will
    > undoubtedly be supported officially for as long as Server
    > 2k3 is supported. Certainly it will be supported for
    > several years past now. That being said, once Cougar (the
    > beta name for the next version) is released, the clock on
    > the old one will start ticking. We know that Cougar will
    > be 64-bit only (see Charlie pull a total off-topic post
    > back to legitimate<G>), so their will be a major shift in
    > the hardware requirements for it. This will slow down
    > adoption, I"m sure, if only because the migration will be
    > more complex. And upgrade is out of the question.

    --
    We fought hard for what we earned.
    Tricare for Life is at:

    Flatus Ohlfahrt, Jun 2, 2007
  7. Microsoft.public.Windows.Server.SBS is where I spend some time. And there
    are some really crack SBS MVPs who hang out there, as well as good and
    helpful users. No troll problems, either. The real problem with the group is
    that it's too successful. If you don't long on a couple of times a day,
    things scroll too fast I find.

    If you can squeeze another GB in that SBS box, it will probably be happier.
    There's a lot going on in an SBS server. There are good aftermarket books on
    SBS. I happen to think mine is the best out there, but Eriq Neale's is also
    excellent and there are others as well. Probably the single biggest
    suggestion with SBS, however, is to plan on installing it three times. Once
    just to see all the pieces and realize you totally horked it. Second time to
    try to get it right. Third time's the charm. Take good notes during the
    first two, and you'll be in good shape for the last.
    --
    Charlie Russel
    Author: Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 R2 Administrator's
    Companion (MS Press)
    http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Bus...22809/ref=sr_11_1/104-0475887-4767969?ie=UTF8

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 3, 2007
  8. Thanks, Charlie. I'll follow your advice on the install. And on the preferred author for a good book. And, I can probably manage
    the RAM.

    Doing it three times and taking lots of notes will take me back to peek and poke days, which is okay, too!

    Flatus

    On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 00:04:09 GMT, Charlie Russel - MVP wrote
    in news::

    Flatus Ohlfahrt, Jun 3, 2007
  9. yeah, it feels a bit odd to do it that way, but I didn't come up with that
    "three times" business. In fact, I really don't know who did. But a lot of
    us who work with SBS have found it to be remarkably accurate.

    FWIW, I've found SBS to be a very satisfactory product. I run my business on
    it, and I can't wait till it moves to 64-bit, since I like the options that
    gives us.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 3, 2007