Question about using Xtra web mail interface

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by John S, Apr 13, 2011.

  1. John S

    John S Guest

    I've been telling my students at SeniorNet that one of the advantages of
    knowing how to log on to your email account and use it by web mail is that
    you can log on from anywhere you are in the world, read your mail, and
    answer it, or send new emails to people.

    Eg - good if you are away from home traveling or for some other reason.

    However, today, one of my students said this ain't so and claimed that if
    you are overseas you can't log on to an Xtra account by web mail to send
    email. You can only read your incoming mail.

    There's no practical way I can check this.

    Could try asking Xtra I suppose but I'm never confident of getting a
    sensible reply from them.

    I checked that it works in NZ, connected to the internet with an xnet
    broadband account, starting a browser, logging in to an xtra account that I
    have access to, and sending an email from there, and it worked OK

    Anyone here with experience of using xtra web mail from overseas?
    John S, Apr 13, 2011

  2. John S

    Enkidu Guest

    On 13/04/11 21:55, John S wrote:
    > I've been telling my students at SeniorNet that one of the advantages
    > of knowing how to log on to your email account and use it by web mail
    > is that you can log on from anywhere you are in the world, read your
    > mail, and answer it, or send new emails to people.
    >
    > Eg - good if you are away from home traveling or for some other
    > reason.
    >
    > However, today, one of my students said this ain't so and claimed
    > that if you are overseas you can't log on to an Xtra account by web
    > mail to send email. You can only read your incoming mail.
    >
    > There's no practical way I can check this.
    >
    > Could try asking Xtra I suppose but I'm never confident of getting a
    > sensible reply from them.
    >
    > I checked that it works in NZ, connected to the internet with an
    > xnet broadband account, starting a browser, logging in to an xtra
    > account that I have access to, and sending an email from there, and
    > it worked OK
    >
    > Anyone here with experience of using xtra web mail from overseas?

    You could try using an overseas free proxy to connect back.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    The end excuses any evil - Sophocles
    Enkidu, Apr 13, 2011

  3. John S

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 21:55:30 +1200, in message <188o4thicqfa6$>
    John S wrote:

    > I've been telling my students at SeniorNet that one of the advantages of
    > knowing how to log on to your email account and use it by web mail is that
    > you can log on from anywhere you are in the world, read your mail, and
    > answer it, or send new emails to people.
    >
    > Eg - good if you are away from home traveling or for some other reason.
    >
    > However, today, one of my students said this ain't so and claimed that if
    > you are overseas you can't log on to an Xtra account by web mail to send
    > email. You can only read your incoming mail.
    >
    > There's no practical way I can check this.
    >
    > Could try asking Xtra I suppose but I'm never confident of getting a
    > sensible reply from them.
    >
    > I checked that it works in NZ, connected to the internet with an xnet
    > broadband account, starting a browser, logging in to an xtra account that I
    > have access to, and sending an email from there, and it worked OK
    >
    > Anyone here with experience of using xtra web mail from overseas?

    Xtra web mail worked for me when I was in Australia last year.
    I could send email as well as read incoming email.

    --
    Kind regards
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Apr 13, 2011
  4. John S

    John S Guest

    On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 22:03:33 +1200, Enkidu wrote:

    snip ...
    >> However, today, one of my students said this ain't so and claimed
    >> that if you are overseas you can't log on to an Xtra account by web
    >> mail to send email. You can only read your incoming mail.
    >>
    >> There's no practical way I can check this.
    >>
    >> Could try asking Xtra I suppose but I'm never confident of getting a
    >> sensible reply from them.
    >>
    >> I checked that it works in NZ, connected to the internet with an
    >> xnet broadband account, starting a browser, logging in to an xtra
    >> account that I have access to, and sending an email from there, and
    >> it worked OK
    >>
    >> Anyone here with experience of using xtra web mail from overseas?
    >>

    > You could try using an overseas free proxy to connect back.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Thanks. Not sure how to do that.

    Without going to a lot of trouble, can you point me in the direction of
    information of how to do it?

    Cheers,

    John S
    John S, Apr 13, 2011
  5. John S

    John S Guest

    On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 23:24:29 +1200, Ralph Fox wrote:

    > On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 21:55:30 +1200, in message <188o4thicqfa6$>
    > John S wrote:

    snip ...

    >> However, today, one of my students said this ain't so and claimed that if
    >> you are overseas you can't log on to an Xtra account by web mail to send
    >> email. You can only read your incoming mail.
    >>
    >> There's no practical way I can check this.
    >>
    >> Could try asking Xtra I suppose but I'm never confident of getting a
    >> sensible reply from them.
    >>
    >> I checked that it works in NZ, connected to the internet with an xnet
    >> broadband account, starting a browser, logging in to an xtra account that I
    >> have access to, and sending an email from there, and it worked OK
    >>
    >> Anyone here with experience of using xtra web mail from overseas?

    > Xtra web mail worked for me when I was in Australia last year.
    > I could send email as well as read incoming email.

    Thanks,

    Cheers,

    John S
    John S, Apr 13, 2011
  6. John S

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 15:09:11 +1200, in message <>
    Crash McBash wrote:

    > On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 21:55:30 +1200, John S <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >However, today, one of my students said this ain't so and claimed that if
    > >you are overseas you can't log on to an Xtra account by web mail to send
    > >email. You can only read your incoming mail.

    > I think your student may be confused about email access via an email
    > client (such as Outlook Express or Windows Live mail) and access via
    > 'webmail' (actually access using web pages).
    >
    > If an Email client is used then this software directly connects to the
    > SMTP (sending) or POP (receiving) servers. Many ISPs limit access to
    > these servers to clients directly connected to the ISP. If this is
    > the case with Xtra then you must be directly connected to the Xtra
    > network (via broadband or dialup) to access these servers.

    At one time this used to be the case with Xtra.
    It is not the case any more.

    Xtra have outsourced their email to Yahoo.
    Yahoo do not limit access to clients directly
    connected to Xtra.

    --
    Kind regards
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Apr 14, 2011
  7. John S

    Donchano Guest

    On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 21:55:30 +1200, John S <>
    shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >Anyone here with experience of using xtra web mail from overseas?

    Unfortunately, I had occasion to use te web interface today to check
    email for our daughter & son-in-law. It was because their computer
    power switch had failed (yet again - beware ACER).

    They gave me their login and password and, as I didn't have the URL in
    my bookmarks, I did a Google Search for XTRA EMAIL. I tried several
    links, but kept on getting these self-serving pages that promoted
    XTRA.

    Finally, I got a link for email - logged in and then got ... YET
    ANOTHER xtra page that I had to navigate my way around until I found a
    link for their inbox.

    It's way past time that Xtra, Telecom and that useless Yahoo realises
    that when people want to access their email they don't want a bunch of
    advertising and useless links they aren't paying for.

    That's why I use fastmail.net and not Xtra.
    Donchano, Apr 14, 2011
  8. John S

    Donchano Guest

    On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 21:56:32 +1200, Donchano
    <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    Actually, what I meant to write is it's way past time that Xtra,
    Telecom and Yahoo realise that when customers want to access their
    email they don't want to pay for a bunch of fucking useless
    advertising.

    Donchano, Apr 14, 2011
  9. John S

    PeeCee Guest

    On 13/04/2011 9:55 p.m., John S wrote:
    > I've been telling my students at SeniorNet that one of the advantages of
    > knowing how to log on to your email account and use it by web mail is that
    > you can log on from anywhere you are in the world, read your mail, and
    > answer it, or send new emails to people.
    >
    > Eg - good if you are away from home traveling or for some other reason.
    >
    > However, today, one of my students said this ain't so and claimed that if
    > you are overseas you can't log on to an Xtra account by web mail to send
    > email. You can only read your incoming mail.
    >
    > There's no practical way I can check this.
    >
    > Could try asking Xtra I suppose but I'm never confident of getting a
    > sensible reply from them.
    >
    > I checked that it works in NZ, connected to the internet with an xnet
    > broadband account, starting a browser, logging in to an xtra account that I
    > have access to, and sending an email from there, and it worked OK
    >
    > Anyone here with experience of using xtra web mail from overseas?

    John

    Your 'Student' is incorrect and needs to go do his homework again.

    I've used Xtra's Webmail interface when away from home and overseas for
    nearly 10 years now and can confirm it worked every time no matter what
    Country I was in (Aussy, Singapore, UK, Italy...) or what method I used
    to connect to the Web (Laptop, Internet Cafe, Hotel Wifi & smart phone...)

    Xtra's Webmail's basic functionality is no different from any of the
    other Webmail interfaces that ISP's use (Clear, Telstra....) or for that
    matter Web Hosted Email services (Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo...)
    Once you have presented you credentials ( / password) to
    the webmail interface you can "read, create and send" emails from that
    account as you wish.

    Crash McBash is probably right with his comment the 'Student' is
    confused over POP/SMTP email clients eg Outlook Express vs "WebMail"
    using a Browser.

    With Email Clients (OE et al) inwards POP is usually not a problem, but
    to 'send' an email you have to use the SMTP server of the Internet
    connection you are using depending on their attitude to 'Relaying' (eg
    sending via Xtras SMTP when connected via a BT Internet connection)

    In the early day's relaying was often permitted and I can remember
    sending emails via Xtra's SMTP from a dialup account in Seven Oaks (near
    London) when I was there in 1997.
    The tons of spam that was send by 'relaying' since the turn of the
    Century caused ISP's to kill this ability and they required a sender to
    use their own SMTP servers so they could check the use of the servers
    was from a connection of 'theirs' and not from 'somewhere' on the 'Net'

    Even so if you set OE or any other email client up the right way you can
    receive/send emails from 'any' internet connection in the world by using
    the 'Authenticated' (Yahoo) SMTP login for Xtra vis:

    SMTP server = send.xtra.co.nz
    My Server requires authentication = ticked.
    Use the same settings as my incoming mail server = selected
    Outgoing mail (SMTP)/ requires a secure connection (SSL) = selected
    Outgoing mail (SMTP)/ set port to = 465.
    (and for completeness POP to port 995, SSL ticked)

    Using WebMail or an email client depends on how you are travelling.

    eg:
    Travelling light, no Laptop or smartphone, using Internet Cafe's.
    You would use the 'Webmail' interface and simply let the ISP's email
    server act as your storage.
    By creating a subfolder on the Webmail interface you can drag any emails
    you want to particularly save out of the inbox where it will be left
    alone by Xtra and any Email Client that logs in with the "leave a copy"
    setting unticked.

    If on the otherhand you are (say) visiting family overseas, take your
    laptop and want to use your normal email client, then using the Xtra
    'Yahoo' email settings will allow you to send and receive from your
    families LAN or Wifi connection without change.

    (and just to cover my own ass there will be exceptions to the above eg
    blocked ports, but having said that I've never come across any myself)

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Apr 15, 2011
  10. John S

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-04-14, Donchano <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 21:56:32 +1200, Donchano
    ><> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    > Actually, what I meant to write is it's way past time that Xtra,
    > Telecom and Yahoo realise that when customers want to access their
    > email they don't want to pay for a bunch of fucking useless
    > advertising.
    >
    >>It's way past time that Xtra, Telecom and that useless Yahoo realises
    >>that when people want to access their email they don't want a bunch of
    >>advertising and useless links they aren't paying for.

    And that is one reason to use a POP client for e-mail.
    Gordon, Apr 15, 2011
  11. John S

    Donchano Guest

    On 15 Apr 2011 05:24:32 GMT, Gordon <> shouted from
    the highest rooftop:

    >> On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 21:56:32 +1200, Donchano
    >><> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >>
    >> Actually, what I meant to write is it's way past time that Xtra,
    >> Telecom and Yahoo realise that when customers want to access their
    >> email they don't want to pay for a bunch of fucking useless
    >> advertising.
    >>
    >>>It's way past time that Xtra, Telecom and that useless Yahoo realises
    >>>that when people want to access their email they don't want a bunch of
    >>>advertising and useless links they aren't paying for.

    >And that is one reason to use a POP client for e-mail.

    Which is what they use when their computer is working and what I use
    for my email account. What I don't use a POP client for is checking
    someone else's email while their computer is out of action,
    Donchano, Apr 15, 2011
  12. John S

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On 15 Apr 2011 05:24:32 GMT, in message <>
    Gordon wrote:

    > On 2011-04-14, Donchano <> wrote:
    > >
    > > On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 21:56:32 +1200, Donchano
    > ><> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    > >
    > > Actually, what I meant to write is it's way past time that Xtra,
    > > Telecom and Yahoo realise that when customers want to access their
    > > email they don't want to pay for a bunch of fucking useless
    > > advertising.
    > >
    > >>It's way past time that Xtra, Telecom and that useless Yahoo realises
    > >>that when people want to access their email they don't want a bunch of
    > >>advertising and useless links they aren't paying for.

    > And that is one reason to use a POP client for e-mail.

    Or an IMAP client.

    You can used IMAP with Yahoo!Xtra mail, but Yahoo's IMAP is rather slow.

    --
    Kind regards
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Apr 15, 2011
  13. John S

    Donchano Guest

    On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 19:16:57 +1200, Donchano
    <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >On 15 Apr 2011 05:24:32 GMT, Gordon <> shouted from
    >the highest rooftop:
    >

    >>> On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 21:56:32 +1200, Donchano
    >>><> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >>>
    >>> Actually, what I meant to write is it's way past time that Xtra,
    >>> Telecom and Yahoo realise that when customers want to access their
    >>> email they don't want to pay for a bunch of fucking useless
    >>> advertising.

    >>And that is one reason to use a POP client for e-mail.

    >Which is what they use when their computer is working and what I use
    >for my email account. What I don't use a POP client for is checking
    >someone else's email while their computer is out of action,

    Now that Ralph mentioned it, I now use IMAP ... only I don't use
    XtraYahoo even though Xtra is my ISP. I use Fastmail.net and find it
    FAR more reliable and easy to use.
    Donchano, Apr 15, 2011
  14. John S

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 15:54:31 +1200, in message <io8fhq$a2n$>
    PeeCee wrote:

    > With Email Clients (OE et al) inwards POP is usually not a problem, but
    > to 'send' an email you have to use the SMTP server of the Internet
    > connection you are using depending on their attitude to 'Relaying' (eg
    > sending via Xtras SMTP when connected via a BT Internet connection)

    Xtra used to block POP from other Internet connections as well (unless
    you paid extra for SSL access).
    <http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/browse_frm/thread/58177bb3d72d995f/171e4832fe9756c2>

    This block went away when Xtra outsourced their email to Yahoo.
    <http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz.comp/browse_frm/thread/5e0c876120bc7b51/855b18ae88283529>

    --
    Kind regards
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Apr 15, 2011
  15. John S

    John S Guest

    On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 15:54:31 +1200, PeeCee wrote:

    > On 13/04/2011 9:55 p.m., John S wrote:

    snip

    >> However, today, one of my students said this ain't so and claimed that if
    >> you are overseas you can't log on to an Xtra account by web mail to send
    >> email. You can only read your incoming mail.

    snip

    > I've used Xtra's Webmail interface when away from home and overseas for
    > nearly 10 years now and can confirm it worked every time no matter what
    > Country I was in (Aussy, Singapore, UK, Italy...) or what method I used
    > to connect to the Web (Laptop, Internet Cafe, Hotel Wifi & smart phone...)

    snip

    > Even so if you set OE or any other email client up the right way you can
    > receive/send emails from 'any' internet connection in the world by using
    > the 'Authenticated' (Yahoo) SMTP login for Xtra vis:
    >
    > SMTP server = send.xtra.co.nz
    > My Server requires authentication = ticked.
    > Use the same settings as my incoming mail server = selected
    > Outgoing mail (SMTP)/ requires a secure connection (SSL) = selected
    > Outgoing mail (SMTP)/ set port to = 465.
    > (and for completeness POP to port 995, SSL ticked)

    snip

    > Best
    > Paul.

    Many thanks Paul for your explanation.

    More so for the last bit of information about using an email client and SSL
    secure login to avoid the "Relaying" block.

    That could be quite handy to know.

    Cheers,

    John S
    John S, Apr 16, 2011