Question about typing a URL in the address bar...

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by RalGrl, Mar 14, 2006.

  1. RalGrl

    RalGrl Guest

    All,
    I have a 'problem' with my laptop. It's kind of hard to describe, so
    please bare with me...

    First, specs:
    I'm on a Dell Inspiron 600m with XP Home Edition. The problem is
    happening in IE v6.0.lotsofothernumbers

    Now, Problem:
    I launch IE and my browser start page is Google, which as we all know
    is very quick to load. As soon as IE has launced and Google is
    rendered I'll either click in the address bar which automatically
    highlights the address so I can start typing a new one, OR I'll use the
    keyboard shortcut Ctrl+D to do the same thing. THEN, I'll start typing
    the address I want to go to and here starts the problem: I lose focus
    on the address bar and for some reason it goes into my Favorites menu
    and goes to some (seemingly) random item there and starts to render
    that page. So I can't type in an address and press enter. This
    happens probably 80% of the time that I try to manually type in an
    address.

    What is the problem? This is bugging me to no end!! Please let me
    know if I need to give more details.

    Thanks all! :)
    RalGrl, Mar 14, 2006

  2. RalGrl

    PA Bear Guest

    Does the problem persist if you use a different keyboard?
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), Aumha.org VSOP, DTS-L.org

    PA Bear, Mar 14, 2006

  3. RalGrl

    Evan Platt Guest

    On 14 Mar 2006 09:41:48 -0800, "RalGrl" <> wrote:

    >All,
    >I have a 'problem' with my laptop. It's kind of hard to describe, so
    >please bare with me...
    >
    >First, specs:
    >I'm on a Dell Inspiron 600m with XP Home Edition. The problem is
    >happening in IE v6.0.lotsofothernumbers
    >
    >Now, Problem:
    >I launch IE and my browser start page is Google, which as we all know
    >is very quick to load. As soon as IE has launced and Google is
    >rendered I'll either click in the address bar which automatically
    >highlights the address so I can start typing a new one, OR I'll use the
    >keyboard shortcut Ctrl+D to do the same thing. THEN, I'll start typing
    >the address I want to go to and here starts the problem: I lose focus
    >on the address bar and for some reason it goes into my Favorites menu
    >and goes to some (seemingly) random item there and starts to render
    >that page. So I can't type in an address and press enter. This
    >happens probably 80% of the time that I try to manually type in an
    >address.
    >
    >What is the problem? This is bugging me to no end!! Please let me
    >know if I need to give more details.

    Laptop.. My guess is you're hitting the mouse 'pad'. Or possibly
    spywre, but I doubt it.

    Try changing to a different homepage, or no homepage.
    Evan Platt, Mar 14, 2006
  4. RalGrl

    John Holmes Guest

    PA Bear blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Does the problem persist if you use a different keyboard?

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!! You are just another MVP who doesn't know how to
    reply to a usenet poast, you fucking idiot.

    --
    Your mother was a slimy cow who couldn't get enough whisky under canvas.
    John Holmes, Mar 14, 2006
  5. RalGrl

    Mike Easter Guest

    RalGrl wrote:

    > I launch IE and my browser start page is Google, which as we all know
    > is very quick to load.

    It is a lot quicker if you have your homepage blank.

    > As soon as IE has launced and Google is
    > rendered

    Rendering the google page is only useful if you were going to use it to
    search. If your homepage were blank there are any number of other ways
    you could choose to 'flip' to google's page whenever you wanted, or even
    use google's search without starting the page.

    > I'll either click in the address bar which automatically
    > highlights the address so I can start typing a new one, OR I'll use
    > the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+D to do the same thing.

    Typing into the address bar is something I try to avoid, unless I know
    something is already in there in the history which will be displayed for
    me to select. On my IE6 configuration I have the function 'use inline
    autocomplete for web addresses' unchecked in IE/ Tools/ Internet
    Options/ Advanced tab - Browsing section - item #20

    > THEN, I'll start
    > typing the address I want to go to and here starts the problem: I
    > lose focus on the address bar and for some reason it goes into my
    > Favorites menu and goes to some (seemingly) random item there and
    > starts to render that page.

    It sounds like either you are spyware infested or having trouble with
    the autocomplete function.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Mar 14, 2006
  6. RalGrl

    Mike Easter Guest

    RalGrl wrote:

    > please bare with me...

    'please bare with me' sounds like getting naked together, and/but we've
    only just met :)

    I mean, you sound like a nice enough grl and all, but I'm just not sure
    yet.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Mar 14, 2006
  7. RalGrl

    RalGrl Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > RalGrl wrote:
    >
    > > please bare with me...

    > 'please bare with me' sounds like getting naked together, and/but we've
    > only just met :)
    >
    > I mean, you sound like a nice enough grl and all, but I'm just not sure
    > yet.

    Awww, garschk. <blush>
    RalGrl, Mar 14, 2006
  8. RalGrl

    RalGrl Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > RalGrl wrote:
    >
    > > I launch IE and my browser start page is Google, which as we all know
    > > is very quick to load.

    > It is a lot quicker if you have your homepage blank.

    Yes, true. At work, I have a custom-made browser start page (that I
    made with HTML) for the purpose of quick launching certain web-based
    programs I use all the time. I even built in the Google search bar.
    Perhaps I should try that at home. Otherwise, you are correct: a blank
    browser start page won't kill me as Google is already a part of my
    "links" bar. I just wanted my cake and eat it too.

    <snip>

    > > THEN, I'll start
    > > typing the address I want to go to and here starts the problem: I
    > > lose focus on the address bar and for some reason it goes into my
    > > Favorites menu and goes to some (seemingly) random item there and
    > > starts to render that page.

    > It sounds like either you are spyware infested or having trouble with
    > the autocomplete function.

    I hadn't thought about the spyware issue. I use Norton to run scans
    frequently (about twice a week) and it seems to take care of any
    problems (thankfully, it has only detected two things).

    I'll try to turn off the autocomplete and see if that makes a
    difference.

    I refuse to believe that I can't get this to work correctly, though. I
    have a desktop that behaves just fine, but this laptop has always done
    this (I've had the laptop for less than a year).

    Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it.
    RalGrl, Mar 14, 2006
  9. RalGrl

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-03-14, Evan Platt <> wrote:
    > On 14 Mar 2006 09:41:48 -0800, "RalGrl" <> wrote:

    snip

    >> THEN, I'll start typing
    >>the address I want to go to and here starts the problem: I lose focus
    >>on the address bar and for some reason it goes into my Favorites menu
    >>and goes to some (seemingly) random item there and starts to render
    >>that page. So I can't type in an address and press enter. This
    >>happens probably 80% of the time that I try to manually type in an
    >>address.
    >>
    >>What is the problem? This is bugging me to no end!! Please let me
    >>know if I need to give more details.

    > Laptop.. My guess is you're hitting the mouse 'pad'. Or possibly
    > spywre, but I doubt it.

    My first guess is the 'trackpad' too; they are too sensitive on most
    laptops and pick up accidental movements while one is typing. It doesn't
    help that they are almost always in precisely the worst possible place for
    typing, for some strange reason. Does your laptop have a switch or a
    Fn-key to 'switch off' the pointing device when you don't want it?

    > Try changing to a different homepage, or no homepage.

    Yes; a blank page or a file on your own computer is much much quicker to
    'come up' than anything on the web :))

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Mar 14, 2006
  10. RalGrl

    Mitch Guest

    In article <44171ab5$0$48629$>,
    Mike Easter <> wrote:

    > Typing into the address bar is something I try to avoid, unless I know
    > something is already in there in the history which will be displayed for
    > me to select.

    Why is that?
    It seems to be the simplest and most direct way to get to a specific
    site. It doesn't involve any other tricks or tools. It doesn't give any
    site the chance to write cookies or track your IP or dump irrelevant
    links at you.
    What is undesirable about typing into the address bar?
    Mitch, Mar 14, 2006
  11. RalGrl

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>,
    RalGrl <> wrote:

    > THEN, I'll start typing
    > the address I want to go to and here starts the problem: I lose focus

    This part is the most direct evidence that your hands are causing the
    problem. Might you be touching the trackpad? Does your OS have an
    option to ignore trackpad input when you type?
    Mitch, Mar 14, 2006
  12. Mike Easter wrote:

    > Typing into the address bar is something I try to avoid,

    How do you visit URLs you see in a television ad or a newspaper? Or the
    back door of a truck whose company's services you might wish to hire?
    ;-)

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 14, 2006
  13. RalGrl

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mitch wrote:
    > Mike Easter

    >> Typing into the address bar is something I try to avoid, unless I
    >> know something is already in there in the history which will be
    >> displayed for me to select.

    > Why is that?

    Because url/s typed in require too many keystrokes and too much
    accuracy. I would rather click or paste it it.

    > It seems to be the simplest and most direct way to get to a specific
    > site.

    If I want to go to a site, it must mean that I 'heard about' or saw a
    reference to such a site. If I heard about a site by seeing its url and
    was interested in visiting it later, then I would 'grab' it the url and
    paste it into a little txt file of notes I keep accessible all of the
    time.

    Then when I decided to go visit the site I would copy and paste its url
    into the address bar.

    I hardly ever go somewhere because someone whispered the site's name in
    my ear or I remembered it from the radio or TV. I saw its link
    somewhere while I was surfing around and either clicked it up directly
    by R click copy shortcut paste into addressline or click copy pasted it
    onto my notes for later access.

    > It doesn't involve any other tricks or tools.

    Neither does pasting in a 'pre-written' URL. Occassionally I will type
    in something if it is extremely short and I can reach it with a few
    keystrokes, like typing in 'grc' and hitting ctrl-enter and getting
    http://www.grc.com for only 4.5 strokes.

    > What is undesirable about typing into the address bar?

    Too much keystroking. Too much opportunity for an error to interfere
    with getting to the site.

    I also avoid typing people's addresses for the same reason. I would
    much rather click copy paste it somewhere or click it into one of the
    folders in my addressbook. Likewise telnos. Likewise IP addresses.

    I also hate 'live' commandlines, but that's another subject. I don't
    mind writing a script or a command to use over again, but I hate a live
    commandline expecting a perfect input.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Mar 14, 2006
  14. RalGrl

    Mitch Guest

    In article <441756b6$0$48629$>,
    Mike Easter <> wrote:

    > > Why is that?

    > Because url/s typed in require too many keystrokes and too much
    > accuracy. I would rather click or paste it it.

    Ah -- the problem of trying to go deeper into the site, or to a
    specific file, makes that really annoying, doesn't it?

    > > It seems to be the simplest and most direct way to get to a specific
    > > site.

    > If I want to go to a site, it must mean that I 'heard about' or saw a
    > reference to such a site. If I heard about a site by seeing its url and
    > was interested in visiting it later, then I would 'grab' it the url and
    > paste it into a little txt file of notes I keep accessible all of the
    > time.

    Yah; I do the same. Mac OS saves them as tiny clickable links, but I
    also just save URLs into my notes services.

    > > What is undesirable about typing into the address bar?

    > Too much keystroking. Too much opportunity for an error to interfere
    > with getting to the site.

    I thought you were going to say something about Microsoft's automatic
    'search' function, or a bad implementation of auto-fill in some
    browser.
    Mitch, Mar 15, 2006
  15. RalGrl

    Mike Easter Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    >> Typing into the address bar is something I try to avoid,

    > How do you visit URLs you see in a television ad or a newspaper? Or
    > the back door of a truck whose company's services you might wish to
    > hire? ;-)

    Sometimes it can't be avoided, but most likely I would google on the
    name of the co. and see if the google search gives me something with a
    link to it. That way I can also copy paste the telno or faxno or
    something else useful. Clickity clickity clickity. Paste the telno
    into my dialer -- clickity clickity.

    Maybe I want to also use whois.internic.net or crsnic on how the site is
    registered. Clickity clickity.

    I'm a touch typist and I type very fast, but I would rather click and
    copy and paste 'details'. I also like keyboard equivalents to mouse
    clicks, so sometimes I'm keyboarding and sometimes I'm mousing.
    Ergonomically, I like it when it is one or the other, so I don't have to
    move my hand off the keyboard when I'm mousing, or off the mouse to
    keyboard something.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Mar 15, 2006
  16. RalGrl

    RalGrl Guest

    Mitch wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > RalGrl <> wrote:
    >
    > > THEN, I'll start typing
    > > the address I want to go to and here starts the problem: I lose focus

    > This part is the most direct evidence that your hands are causing the
    > problem. Might you be touching the trackpad? Does your OS have an
    > option to ignore trackpad input when you type?

    Good thought, but I assure you I'm not touching the touchpad at all. I
    do nothing but type all day ... whether at my laptop or on my desktop
    and I do leave the touchpad alone.
    RalGrl, Mar 15, 2006
  17. RalGrl

    Bob I Guest

    losing focus would tend to indicate some program running in the
    background is stealing it.

    Bob I, Mar 15, 2006
  18. RalGrl

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-03-15, RalGrl <> wrote:

    > Mitch wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> RalGrl <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > THEN, I'll start typing
    >> > the address I want to go to and here starts the problem: I lose focus

    >> This part is the most direct evidence that your hands are causing the
    >> problem. Might you be touching the trackpad? Does your OS have an
    >> option to ignore trackpad input when you type?

    > Good thought, but I assure you I'm not touching the touchpad at all. I
    > do nothing but type all day ... whether at my laptop or on my desktop
    > and I do leave the touchpad alone.

    You don't need to touch the touchpad; the warmth of your hand as you type
    can be enough to make the touchpad change the 'focus' of your input. I
    was unconvinced too, until I cut a piece of stiff card and taped it over
    the touchpad - and the problem vanished. The laptop I use now, has a
    switch for the touchpad.

    --
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Mar 15, 2006