    I know it involves some kind of serial cable, but I can't recall which
    one. I googled this topic, but I received no love. I appreciate any
    help you can offer. Thanks. I hope it can be done.

    Blahbadyblahblah, May 28, 2006

  2. Blahbadyblahblah

    Guest

    Re: Question about transferring files from a Windows 95 PC to a Windows XP PC...

    Blahbadyblahblah <> wrote:

    |>I have a computer running Windows 95(still! Yeah, I know...), where the
    |>monitor just died. The problem is, I still need to retrieve some files
    |>from that computer, which I hadn't gotten around to doing.
    |>
    |>All the computers in my house now have Windows XP. And my Windows 95
    |>computer is not networked.
    |>
    |>I can get a hold of another monitor without a problem, but I'm sure the
    |>rest of that particular computer is not too far behind.
    |>
    |>Here's my question: how do I go about connecting the Windows 95 computer
    |>to one of my Windows XP computers, so I can retrieve the files? The
    |>Windows 95 PC has no network card, so I'll have to do it from computer
    |>to computer. And no burner on the Windows 95 PC.
    |>
    |>I know it involves some kind of serial cable, but I can't recall which
    |>one. I googled this topic, but I received no love. I appreciate any
    |>help you can offer. Thanks. I hope it can be done.

    In Win95 under network connections is your setting for serial cable -
    but save yourself some time and trouble and just install it into one
    of your XP systems (as a slave) and copy what you need.

    --
    http://tinyurl.com/6ow99

    , May 28, 2006

  3. Blahbadyblahblah

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Re: Question about transferring files from a Windows 95 PC to a Windows XP PC...

    In news:,
    spewed forth:
    > Blahbadyblahblah <> wrote:
    >
    >>> I have a computer running Windows 95(still! Yeah, I know...),
    >>> where the monitor just died. The problem is, I still need to
    >>> retrieve some files from that computer, which I hadn't gotten
    >>> around to doing.
    >>>
    >>> All the computers in my house now have Windows XP. And my Windows
    >>> 95 computer is not networked.
    >>>
    >>> I can get a hold of another monitor without a problem, but I'm sure
    >>> the rest of that particular computer is not too far behind.
    >>>
    >>> Here's my question: how do I go about connecting the Windows 95
    >>> computer to one of my Windows XP computers, so I can retrieve the
    >>> files? The Windows 95 PC has no network card, so I'll have to do it
    >>> from computer to computer. And no burner on the Windows 95 PC.
    >>>
    >>> I know it involves some kind of serial cable, but I can't recall
    >>> which one. I googled this topic, but I received no love. I
    >>> appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks. I hope it can be done.

    > In Win95 under network connections is your setting for serial cable -
    > but save yourself some time and trouble and just install it into one
    > of your XP systems (as a slave) and copy what you need.

    He means take the DRIVE out of the W95 computer, install the drive in
    another system and copy off what you need.

    --
    I always finish what I sta

    Toolman Tim, May 28, 2006
  4. Blahbadyblahblah

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote:

    |>In news:,
    |> spewed forth:

    |>> In Win95 under network connections is your setting for serial cable -
    |>> but save yourself some time and trouble and just install it into one
    |>> of your XP systems (as a slave) and copy what you need.

    |>He means take the DRIVE out of the W95 computer, install the drive in
    |>another system and copy off what you need.

    Thank you :)

    --
    Save a planet
    http://www.samorost2.net/samorost1/

    , May 28, 2006
  5. Blahbadyblahblah

    Mike Easter Guest

    Blahbadyblahblah wrote:
    > I have a computer running Windows 95(still! Yeah, I know...), where
    > the monitor just died.

    > Here's my question: how do I go about connecting the Windows 95
    > computer to one of my Windows XP computers, so I can retrieve the
    > files? The Windows 95 PC has no network card,

    > I know it involves some kind of serial cable,

    The 'quick' answer is Pennywise's slaving the w95 hdd to get the data --
    which is quick and simply 'dumps' the old W95 hardware, which is most
    likely worth very very little to anyone.

    Any kind of plan to bring the W95 box to life for transferring the data
    via a serial cable is going to require temporarily borrowing a monitor
    from another box to get the W95 configured.

    Do you have any future plans for the W95 hardware/box, or should we
    consider it disposable?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, May 28, 2006
  6. Blahbadyblahblah

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Re: Question about transferring files from a Windows 95 PC to a Windows XP PC...

    In news:,
    spewed forth:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote:
    >
    >>> In news:,
    >>> spewed forth:

    >>> He means take the DRIVE out of the W95 computer, install the drive
    >>> in another system and copy off what you need.

    > Thank you :)

    ;)

    Just a tiny oversight <g>

    --
    I always finish what I sta

    Toolman Tim, May 28, 2006
  7. Mike Easter wrote:
    > Blahbadyblahblah wrote:
    >> I have a computer running Windows 95(still! Yeah, I know...), where
    >> the monitor just died.

    >> Here's my question: how do I go about connecting the Windows 95
    >> computer to one of my Windows XP computers, so I can retrieve the
    >> files? The Windows 95 PC has no network card,

    >> I know it involves some kind of serial cable,

    > The 'quick' answer is Pennywise's slaving the w95 hdd to get the data --
    > which is quick and simply 'dumps' the old W95 hardware, which is most
    > likely worth very very little to anyone.
    >
    > Any kind of plan to bring the W95 box to life for transferring the data
    > via a serial cable is going to require temporarily borrowing a monitor
    > from another box to get the W95 configured.
    >
    > Do you have any future plans for the W95 hardware/box, or should we
    > consider it disposable?

    First of all, thanks for your responses. It's much appreciated!

    The Win95 box is, in fact, disposable. And I do have an extra monitor
    which I can use temporarily on the box in order to remove the files via
    serial cable.

    I thought about slaving the drive with another machine, but all my other
    machines already have slave drives. I suppose I could just switch one
    of them out, but I want to keep this project as minimally
    labor-intensive as possible.

    Blahbadyblahblah, May 29, 2006
  8. Blahbadyblahblah

    ProfGene Guest

    Re: Question about transferring files from a Windows 95 PC to a Windows XP PC...

    You are thinking of a bidirectional parallel port cable and the program that
    Windows 95 uses is direct cable transfer. I do not know if XP uses this
    program. The only other way to do it would be to temporarily put the HDD
    from the old computer into the XP computer as a slave and copying the files
    from there. If the files aren't too big say under ten megabytes you can use
    Yahoo Mail which allows attatchments on email of up to ten megabytes and
    mail them to a free Email account that you set up on Yahoo from the 95
    computer which would work if you have dialup since even email requires a
    network connection if you have DSL.

    ProfGene, May 29, 2006
  9. Blahbadyblahblah

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Re: Question about transferring files from a Windows 95 PC to a Windows XP PC...

    In news:qMteg.113753$,
    Blahbadyblahblah spewed forth:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> Blahbadyblahblah wrote:

    > The Win95 box is, in fact, disposable. And I do have an extra monitor
    > which I can use temporarily on the box in order to remove the files
    > via serial cable.
    >
    > I thought about slaving the drive with another machine, but all my
    > other machines already have slave drives. I suppose I could just
    > switch one of them out, but I want to keep this project as minimally
    > labor-intensive as possible.

    Believe me: the FRUSTRATION level of the serial connection is going to be
    WAY-FREAKIN' more laborious than putting the drive in the other box.

    First, you'll have to find the correct serial cable - they're not just a
    straight thru 9pin to 9pin connection. Or you'll have to dig out the
    soldering equipment and make your own.

    Then you have to convice BOTH computers that they WANT to talk over the
    serial port.

    Then you have the slooooowww (it's gonna take all freakin' day kind of slow)
    transfer time.

    Give it up. Open the boxes. Put the W95 drive on one of your CD-ROM cables
    (much better than figuring out the master/slave jumpers and stuff.)

    --
    I always finish what I sta

    Toolman Tim, May 29, 2006
  10. Thanks for the heads-up, and the arguments against using a serial cable.
    What I'm going to do is get a hard drive dock and just connect the
    drive to one of my other computers that way. All the talk of slaving
    the drive got me to thinking of another way. This option should work.
    I'll let you know.

    Blahbadyblahblah, May 30, 2006