    week for months on end. Are these people subject to different rules
    than someone who sells something once a year e.g. classed as traders
    and have to pay G.S.T and income tax ?
    nospam, Jan 23, 2012

  2. In article <>, Crash McBash <> wrote:
    >On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 10:55:14 +1300, nospam <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Some people sell lots of stuff on trademe - like, several items a
    >>week for months on end. Are these people subject to different rules
    >>than someone who sells something once a year e.g. classed as traders
    >>and have to pay G.S.T and income tax ?

    >Yes and yes - see
    >http://www.trademe.co.nz/help/426/advice-for-businesses

    ... say rather maybe and maybe. :)

    Selling "lots of stuff" doesn't ncessarily make you a trader (eg disposing
    of a surplus of second hand household stuff). IIRC (and IANAL :) ) it has a
    bit to do with intent - if you are buying and selling *intending to make a
    profit* then you would be a trader (rather like trading in shares). Yes,
    traders should be paying income tax and GST. :)

    As to rules, some traders (basically on line retailers) sell "at auction" to
    try to avoid things like the CGA. :) I think those rules were being tidied
    up some time soon if they haven't already been ... ?
    Bruce Sinclair, Jan 24, 2012

  3. nospam

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 24/01/2012 10:55 a.m., nospam wrote:
    > Some people sell lots of stuff on trademe - like, several items a
    > week for months on end. Are these people subject to different rules
    > than someone who sells something once a year e.g. classed as traders
    > and have to pay G.S.T and income tax ?

    It's only illegal if they get caught ;-)
    Gib Bogle, Jan 24, 2012
  4. On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 00:03:43 GMT,
    (Bruce Sinclair)
    wrote:

    >In article <>, Crash McBash <> wrote:
    >>On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 10:55:14 +1300, nospam <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>Some people sell lots of stuff on trademe - like, several items a
    >>>week for months on end. Are these people subject to different rules
    >>>than someone who sells something once a year e.g. classed as traders
    >>>and have to pay G.S.T and income tax ?

    >>Yes and yes - see
    >>http://www.trademe.co.nz/help/426/advice-for-businesses

    >.. say rather maybe and maybe. :)
    >
    >Selling "lots of stuff" doesn't ncessarily make you a trader (eg disposing
    >of a surplus of second hand household stuff). IIRC (and IANAL :) ) it has a
    >bit to do with intent - if you are buying and selling *intending to make a
    >profit* then you would be a trader (rather like trading in shares). Yes,
    >traders should be paying income tax and GST. :)
    >
    >As to rules, some traders (basically on line retailers) sell "at auction" to
    >try to avoid things like the CGA. :) I think those rules were being tidied
    >up some time soon if they haven't already been ... ?

    It was planned to tidy up the rules, but I think I read recently that
    the plans seem to have become derailed somehow, so I would not expect
    it any time soon.

    One thing is pretty clear - if you use the Buy Now button, there has
    been no auction, so if you are buying from a business or a trader, the
    CGA then applies.
    Stephen Worthington, Jan 24, 2012
  5. In article <>, Stephen Worthington <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:
    >On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 00:03:43 GMT,
    > (Bruce Sinclair)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>, Crash McBash

    > <> wrote:

    >>>Yes and yes - see
    >>>http://www.trademe.co.nz/help/426/advice-for-businesses

    >>.. say rather maybe and maybe. :)
    >>
    >>Selling "lots of stuff" doesn't ncessarily make you a trader (eg disposing
    >>of a surplus of second hand household stuff). IIRC (and IANAL :) ) it has a
    >>bit to do with intent - if you are buying and selling *intending to make a
    >>profit* then you would be a trader (rather like trading in shares). Yes,
    >>traders should be paying income tax and GST. :)
    >>
    >>As to rules, some traders (basically on line retailers) sell "at auction" to
    >>try to avoid things like the CGA. :) I think those rules were being tidied
    >>up some time soon if they haven't already been ... ?

    >It was planned to tidy up the rules, but I think I read recently that
    >the plans seem to have become derailed somehow, so I would not expect
    >it any time soon.
    >
    >One thing is pretty clear - if you use the Buy Now button, there has
    >been no auction, so if you are buying from a business or a trader, the
    >CGA then applies.

    Yep. Though I have heard of a number of instances where the traders have
    tried the 'it's an auction' thing. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Jan 25, 2012