    things, is this one of them?

    Cheers.
    Steve.H

    $teve.H, Nov 10, 2005

  2. $teve.H

    Geez31 Guest

    They do recommend leaving the first and last subnet out. I wouldnt lose any
    sleep over subnetting for the 291. There is hardly any questions on this.

    Geez31, Nov 11, 2005

  3. $teve.H

    $teve.H Guest

    "Geez31" <> wrote in message
    > They do recommend leaving the first and last subnet out. I wouldnt lose
    > any sleep over subnetting for the 291. There is hardly any questions on
    > this.

    So i found out today:) passed 833.

    one question i had could have been about subnetting, but i think i read
    toomuch into it! =)

    $teve.H, Nov 11, 2005
  4. "$teve.H" <> wrote in

    > I'm currently certified as ccna, and when I learnt to subnet, I learnt
    > that the 1st and last subnet are not to be used.

    Afaik even the lastest version of ccna (640-801) states that you can use
    all subnets. Only old really old equipment should have problems with these
    subnets.

    --
    Ole Kristian Bangås
    MCT, MCDBA, MCDST, MCSE:Security, MCSE:Messaging

    Ole Kristian Bangås, Nov 13, 2005
  5. $teve.H

    $teve.H Guest

    Ole Kristian Bangås wrote...
    <snip>
    > Afaik even the lastest version of ccna (640-801) states that you can use
    > all subnets. Only old really old equipment should have problems with these
    > subnets.

    Quote from Orignal Post
    "I know these subnets are actually useable, but your not meant to use them"

    =)

    I've used subnet zero before, i know all but legacy equipment can use subnet
    zero, but only i've only experianced it when configuring cisco routers,
    never had a great need for subnetting win a windows serve enviroment mainly
    due to NAT/private ip ranges, just wanted to clafify microsofts idea of
    subnet zero, i.e not recomended/safe to use.

    Thanks for the input.

    --
    $teve.H
    MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291

    $teve.H, Nov 19, 2005
  6. "$teve.H" <> wrote in

    > Ole Kristian Bangås wrote...
    > <snip>
    >> Afaik even the lastest version of ccna (640-801) states that you can
    >> use all subnets. Only old really old equipment should have problems
    >> with these subnets.

    Under old-style "Classfull" subnetting, the first as last subnets were
    not used. Older routers had trouble with them. "New" routers don't have
    this issue. Using Varible Length Subnet Masking (VLSM) they are always
    included. Under the Windows Server 2003 exams, Microsoft always assumes
    you are using VLSM and does account for them.

    Robert Coulter, Nov 21, 2005
  7. Robert Coulter <> wrote in

    > "$teve.H" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Ole Kristian Bangås wrote...
    >> <snip>
    >>> Afaik even the lastest version of ccna (640-801) states that you can
    >>> use all subnets. Only old really old equipment should have problems
    >>> with these subnets.

    > Under old-style "Classfull" subnetting, the first as last subnets were
    > not used. Older routers had trouble with them. "New" routers don't have
    > this issue. Using Varible Length Subnet Masking (VLSM) they are always
    > included. Under the Windows Server 2003 exams, Microsoft always assumes
    > you are using VLSM and does account for them.

    As with (afaik 640-801). I'm aware of the fact that they were not supposed
    to be used in earlier materials and exams, but both MS and Cisco include
    them now, which was my point.

    Ole Kristian Bangås, Nov 21, 2005
  8. Take a look at this page for subentting assistance:
    http://www.jinx.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40526

    msnews.microsoft.com, Jan 11, 2006