    Is this ok thing to have? Can they be restricted enough with ACL
    regardless they are in default ip address range?

    Thank you.
    Ugarchina, Jan 14, 2007

  2. In article <>,
    Ugarchina <> wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > on my LAN, most network devices use default VLAN and have ip address
    > from range 10.10.1.X with subnet mask 255.255.240.0.
    >
    > However, there exists several restricted VLANs with ip address range
    > 10.10.10.X , subnet mask 255.255.255.240.
    > Restricted VLANs are protected by ACL, but as you can see they are
    > also in ip address range of default VLAN.
    >
    > Is this ok thing to have? Can they be restricted enough with ACL
    > regardless they are in default ip address range?

    This seems like a confusing setup, I don't understand why they've done
    it this way. But I think it should work. VLANs prevent direct
    communication between the devices in the default VLAN and the restricted
    VLANs, they would have to go through the routing module. Unless you
    have proxy-ARP enabled on the router, the devices in the default VLAN
    won't even try to use it -- they think the restricted subnets are
    directly reachable.

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA