Question about Skype

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Anthony R. Gold, May 7, 2012.

  1. I use Skype (now Version 5.9) to chat to friends and relatives around the
    world. I just added a camera and its image is confusing me. In My Computer,
    and to others with whom I am chatting, the video image is correct. But only
    in my own Skype monitor window my image is mirror reversed. My friends tell
    me that their self-images are correct. Is this a bug or a settings error?
    Anthony R. Gold, May 7, 2012
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Anthony R. Gold

    Graham. Guest

    On Mon, 07 May 2012 18:56:06 +0100, "Anthony R. Gold"
    <> wrote:

    >I use Skype (now Version 5.9) to chat to friends and relatives around the
    >world. I just added a camera and its image is confusing me. In My Computer,
    >and to others with whom I am chatting, the video image is correct. But only
    >in my own Skype monitor window my image is mirror reversed. My friends tell
    >me that their self-images are correct. Is this a bug or a settings error?


    The way you described it is exatly what I get here, frankly I think
    your frends are less observent than you are, and dare I say it, if
    they are female they probebly expect their preview image to be like a
    mirror which is probebly why Skype makes it that way.

    In the driver properties of my webcam I can flip the image and then
    its laterally inverted as transmitted, but correct on the preview.

    --
    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., May 7, 2012
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Anthony R. Gold

    Roger Mills Guest

    On 07/05/2012 18:56, Anthony R. Gold wrote:
    > I use Skype (now Version 5.9) to chat to friends and relatives around the
    > world. I just added a camera and its image is confusing me. In My Computer,
    > and to others with whom I am chatting, the video image is correct. But only
    > in my own Skype monitor window my image is mirror reversed. My friends tell
    > me that their self-images are correct. Is this a bug or a settings error?


    Depends what you mean by "correct" or "inverted"!

    What you should see on your screen is the same as the person the other
    end sees - which is what the camera sees. It's *not* supposed to appear
    to you like looking in a mirror[1]. If you hold up your right hand, it
    should appear on the left of the screen so that it looks correct to
    anyone who is facing you.

    So, is yours correct or not? You say that it's correct in your computer
    but reversed in your Skype monitor window. You've totally lost me,
    there. How do you know what it's like in your computer other than what
    your Skype monitor window is displaying?

    [1] In the advanced settings for my Logitech webcam, there's an option
    to show a mirror image - but that's a camera feature, not a Skype
    feature, and not all cameras have it. I haven't tried it, but I assume
    that the person the other end would also see a mirror image. So if, for
    example, I wanted to show them a printed document by holding it up to
    the camera, the letters and words would all appear backwards - which
    would be *very* useful, not!
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger
    ____________
    Please reply to Newsgroup. Whilst email address is valid, it is seldom
    checked.
    Roger Mills, May 7, 2012
    #3
  4. On Mon, 07 May 2012 20:49:06 +0100, Roger Mills <> wrote:

    > On 07/05/2012 18:56, Anthony R. Gold wrote:
    >> I use Skype (now Version 5.9) to chat to friends and relatives around the
    >> world. I just added a camera and its image is confusing me. In My Computer,
    >> and to others with whom I am chatting, the video image is correct. But only
    >> in my own Skype monitor window my image is mirror reversed. My friends tell
    >> me that their self-images are correct. Is this a bug or a settings error?

    >
    > Depends what you mean by "correct" or "inverted"!
    >
    > What you should see on your screen is the same as the person the other
    > end sees - which is what the camera sees. It's *not* supposed to appear
    > to you like looking in a mirror[1]. If you hold up your right hand, it
    > should appear on the left of the screen so that it looks correct to
    > anyone who is facing you.
    >
    > So, is yours correct or not? You say that it's correct in your computer
    > but reversed in your Skype monitor window. You've totally lost me,
    > there. How do you know what it's like in your computer other than what
    > your Skype monitor window is displaying?
    >
    > [1] In the advanced settings for my Logitech webcam, there's an option
    > to show a mirror image - but that's a camera feature, not a Skype
    > feature, and not all cameras have it. I haven't tried it, but I assume
    > that the person the other end would also see a mirror image. So if, for
    > example, I wanted to show them a printed document by holding it up to
    > the camera, the letters and words would all appear backwards - which
    > would be *very* useful, not!


    I am sorry that I lost you. I will try again:

    1) In "My Computer" the video camera's image is correct.

    2) In Skype's Tools/Options/Video Settings the image also is correct.

    3) When I am online with two small video windows, one from the other party
    and one as a monitor of my camera, the image from my camera is mirrored.

    I believe that Graham's answer is correct.
    Anthony R. Gold, May 7, 2012
    #4
  5. Anthony R. Gold

    Roger Mills Guest

    On 07/05/2012 21:08, Anthony R. Gold wrote:
    > On Mon, 07 May 2012 20:49:06 +0100, Roger Mills<> wrote:
    >
    >> On 07/05/2012 18:56, Anthony R. Gold wrote:
    >>> I use Skype (now Version 5.9) to chat to friends and relatives around the
    >>> world. I just added a camera and its image is confusing me. In My Computer,
    >>> and to others with whom I am chatting, the video image is correct. But only
    >>> in my own Skype monitor window my image is mirror reversed. My friends tell
    >>> me that their self-images are correct. Is this a bug or a settings error?

    >>
    >> Depends what you mean by "correct" or "inverted"!
    >>
    >> What you should see on your screen is the same as the person the other
    >> end sees - which is what the camera sees. It's *not* supposed to appear
    >> to you like looking in a mirror[1]. If you hold up your right hand, it
    >> should appear on the left of the screen so that it looks correct to
    >> anyone who is facing you.
    >>
    >> So, is yours correct or not? You say that it's correct in your computer
    >> but reversed in your Skype monitor window. You've totally lost me,
    >> there. How do you know what it's like in your computer other than what
    >> your Skype monitor window is displaying?
    >>
    >> [1] In the advanced settings for my Logitech webcam, there's an option
    >> to show a mirror image - but that's a camera feature, not a Skype
    >> feature, and not all cameras have it. I haven't tried it, but I assume
    >> that the person the other end would also see a mirror image. So if, for
    >> example, I wanted to show them a printed document by holding it up to
    >> the camera, the letters and words would all appear backwards - which
    >> would be *very* useful, not!

    >
    > I am sorry that I lost you. I will try again:
    >
    > 1) In "My Computer" the video camera's image is correct.
    >
    > 2) In Skype's Tools/Options/Video Settings the image also is correct.
    >
    > 3) When I am online with two small video windows, one from the other party
    > and one as a monitor of my camera, the image from my camera is mirrored.
    >
    > I believe that Graham's answer is correct.


    Yes, you're right! I've just done an experiment by setting up a Skype
    video call between my computer and my wife's computer in the next room.

    In the Skype tools/video settings box, the display is what the camera
    sees, but when on-line, the monitor box displays a mirror image.
    HOWEVER, the remote computer displays your picture the right way round.

    I hadn't noticed this until you pointed it out. I can only assume that
    Skype think that you are used to seeing yourself in a mirror, and wish
    to look that way on your monitor screen.
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger
    ____________
    Please reply to Newsgroup. Whilst email address is valid, it is seldom
    checked.
    Roger Mills, May 8, 2012
    #5
  6. Anthony R. Gold

    Graham. Guest

    On Tue, 08 May 2012 22:36:30 +0100, Roger Mills <>
    wrote:

    >On 07/05/2012 21:08, Anthony R. Gold wrote:
    >> On Mon, 07 May 2012 20:49:06 +0100, Roger Mills<> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 07/05/2012 18:56, Anthony R. Gold wrote:
    >>>> I use Skype (now Version 5.9) to chat to friends and relatives around the
    >>>> world. I just added a camera and its image is confusing me. In My Computer,
    >>>> and to others with whom I am chatting, the video image is correct. But only
    >>>> in my own Skype monitor window my image is mirror reversed. My friends tell
    >>>> me that their self-images are correct. Is this a bug or a settings error?
    >>>
    >>> Depends what you mean by "correct" or "inverted"!
    >>>
    >>> What you should see on your screen is the same as the person the other
    >>> end sees - which is what the camera sees. It's *not* supposed to appear
    >>> to you like looking in a mirror[1]. If you hold up your right hand, it
    >>> should appear on the left of the screen so that it looks correct to
    >>> anyone who is facing you.
    >>>
    >>> So, is yours correct or not? You say that it's correct in your computer
    >>> but reversed in your Skype monitor window. You've totally lost me,
    >>> there. How do you know what it's like in your computer other than what
    >>> your Skype monitor window is displaying?
    >>>
    >>> [1] In the advanced settings for my Logitech webcam, there's an option
    >>> to show a mirror image - but that's a camera feature, not a Skype
    >>> feature, and not all cameras have it. I haven't tried it, but I assume
    >>> that the person the other end would also see a mirror image. So if, for
    >>> example, I wanted to show them a printed document by holding it up to
    >>> the camera, the letters and words would all appear backwards - which
    >>> would be *very* useful, not!

    >>
    >> I am sorry that I lost you. I will try again:
    >>
    >> 1) In "My Computer" the video camera's image is correct.
    >>
    >> 2) In Skype's Tools/Options/Video Settings the image also is correct.
    >>
    >> 3) When I am online with two small video windows, one from the other party
    >> and one as a monitor of my camera, the image from my camera is mirrored.
    >>
    >> I believe that Graham's answer is correct.

    >
    >Yes, you're right! I've just done an experiment by setting up a Skype
    >video call between my computer and my wife's computer in the next room.
    >
    >In the Skype tools/video settings box, the display is what the camera
    >sees, but when on-line, the monitor box displays a mirror image.
    >HOWEVER, the remote computer displays your picture the right way round.
    >
    >I hadn't noticed this until you pointed it out. I can only assume that
    >Skype think that you are used to seeing yourself in a mirror, and wish
    >to look that way on your monitor screen.


    I have two skype clients on this machine, one conventionally
    installed, and the other runs in a XP virtual machine with some SIP to
    Skype gateway software.


    --
    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., May 8, 2012
    #6
  7. On 08/05/12 22:36, Roger Mills wrote:

    > In the Skype tools/video settings box, the display is what the camera
    > sees, but when on-line, the monitor box displays a mirror image.
    > HOWEVER, the remote computer displays your picture the right way round.
    >
    > I hadn't noticed this until you pointed it out. I can only assume that
    > Skype think that you are used to seeing yourself in a mirror, and wish
    > to look that way on your monitor screen.


    I've never used Skype, but the video chat feature of Google mail works
    exactly the same, i.e. I see myself as a mirror image but the remote end
    sees me correctly

    I thought this was how it was supposed to work, but then I'm only a
    silly girl ;-)

    Ria xx
    Ria Elaine Jones, May 27, 2012
    #7
  8. On Sun, 27 May 2012 17:05:26 +0100, Ria Elaine Jones
    <> wrote:

    > On 08/05/12 22:36, Roger Mills wrote:
    >
    >> In the Skype tools/video settings box, the display is what the camera
    >> sees, but when on-line, the monitor box displays a mirror image.
    >> HOWEVER, the remote computer displays your picture the right way round.
    >>
    >> I hadn't noticed this until you pointed it out. I can only assume that
    >> Skype think that you are used to seeing yourself in a mirror, and wish
    >> to look that way on your monitor screen.

    >
    > I've never used Skype, but the video chat feature of Google mail works
    > exactly the same, i.e. I see myself as a mirror image but the remote end
    > sees me correctly
    >
    > I thought this was how it was supposed to work, but then I'm only a
    > silly girl ;-)


    Your intuition was 20/20 and we must blame my cursed Y chromosome for making
    me ask the question.
    Anthony R. Gold, May 27, 2012
    #8
  9. On 27/05/12 17:50, Anthony R. Gold wrote:
    > On Sun, 27 May 2012 17:05:26 +0100, Ria Elaine Jones
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 08/05/12 22:36, Roger Mills wrote:
    >>
    >>> In the Skype tools/video settings box, the display is what the camera
    >>> sees, but when on-line, the monitor box displays a mirror image.
    >>> HOWEVER, the remote computer displays your picture the right way round.
    >>>
    >>> I hadn't noticed this until you pointed it out. I can only assume that
    >>> Skype think that you are used to seeing yourself in a mirror, and wish
    >>> to look that way on your monitor screen.

    >>
    >> I've never used Skype, but the video chat feature of Google mail works
    >> exactly the same, i.e. I see myself as a mirror image but the remote end
    >> sees me correctly
    >>
    >> I thought this was how it was supposed to work, but then I'm only a
    >> silly girl ;-)

    >
    > Your intuition was 20/20 and we must blame my cursed Y chromosome for making
    > me ask the question.



    Those Y chromosomes get everywhere :p

    Ria xx
    Ria Elaine Jones, May 27, 2012
    #9
  10. On 27/05/12 17:50, Anthony R. Gold wrote:
    > On Sun, 27 May 2012 17:05:26 +0100, Ria Elaine Jones
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 08/05/12 22:36, Roger Mills wrote:
    >>
    >>> In the Skype tools/video settings box, the display is what the camera
    >>> sees, but when on-line, the monitor box displays a mirror image.
    >>> HOWEVER, the remote computer displays your picture the right way round.
    >>>
    >>> I hadn't noticed this until you pointed it out. I can only assume that
    >>> Skype think that you are used to seeing yourself in a mirror, and wish
    >>> to look that way on your monitor screen.

    >>
    >> I've never used Skype, but the video chat feature of Google mail works
    >> exactly the same, i.e. I see myself as a mirror image but the remote end
    >> sees me correctly
    >>
    >> I thought this was how it was supposed to work, but then I'm only a
    >> silly girl ;-)

    >
    > Your intuition was 20/20 and we must blame my cursed Y chromosome for making
    > me ask the question.


    Those Y chromosomes get everywhere :)
    Ria Elaine Jones, May 27, 2012
    #10
  11. Anthony R. Gold

    desktopspy

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    reply

    :listen: I face the same problem. listening and learning,
    desktopspy, Apr 1, 2013
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    620
  2. dianasun via HWKB.com
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    2,580
    alkis
    Sep 14, 2009
  3. dianasun
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    909
    spammersarevermin
    Nov 17, 2005
  4. dianasun
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,938
    dianasun
    Jun 1, 2006
  5. synchronism
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    722
    synchronism
    Aug 23, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page