    When you buy an EZ-D/Flexplay/Whatever self-destructor, is this the kind of
    content to be expected? Or are they putting the effort into it to make a
    fullblown, full-featured DVD?
    Del March, Oct 27, 2004

  2. >The pizza places here were having specials where you got a free DVD with a
    >purchase, but the freebie was a stripped down disk with no extras, a
    >fullscreen
    >transfer, no sensible chapter stops, and the ever-wonderful trailers at the
    >beginning which could not be skipped through.

    I'll bet you mean Papa John's Pizza, and did you expect them to be able to
    afford something decent for DVD?

    Although, I'm glad that I got both "Weekend at Bernie's" DVDs when they had
    them.

    >When you buy an EZ-D/Flexplay/Whatever self-destructor, is this the kind of
    >content to be expected? Or are they putting the effort into it to make a
    >fullblown, full-featured DVD?

    Don't know as I never wasted my time with those things. But, I'll bet that
    they do have some special features that will end up being unplayable after the
    viewing period expires chemically. But, I wouldn't put it past Buena Vista to
    put all sorts of previews and other unwatchables that you can't skip so easily
    on EZ-D titles. - Reinhart
    LASERandDVDfan, Oct 27, 2004

  3. Del March

    Del March Guest

    << I'll bet you mean Papa John's Pizza, and did you expect them to be able to
    afford something decent for DVD? >><BR><BR>
    Actually, more than one pizza chain was offering them here, at different times.
    Clearly it was a promotion funded by the studio, not by the pizza store. The
    disk was obviously a vehicle for trailers of current and upcoming releases,
    with a throwaway non-profitable movie tossed in as a bonus.
    Del March, Oct 28, 2004
  4. >Actually, more than one pizza chain was offering them here, at different
    >times. Clearly it was a promotion funded by the studio, not by the pizza
    >store. Thedisk was obviously a vehicle for trailers of current and upcoming
    >releases,with a throwaway non-profitable movie tossed in as a bonus.

    Tell me about it.

    The only films I wanted were the "Weekend at Bernie's" series, as I remember
    them when I was young. A little nostalgia.

    Everything else I would use as coasters or test discs. - Reinhart
    LASERandDVDfan, Oct 28, 2004
  5. Del March

    Cory Seedan Guest

    On 27 Oct 2004 17:39:45 GMT, (LASERandDVDfan)
    wrote:

    >>The pizza places here were having specials where you got a free DVD with a
    >>purchase, but the freebie was a stripped down disk with no extras, a
    >>fullscreen
    >>transfer, no sensible chapter stops, and the ever-wonderful trailers at the
    >>beginning which could not be skipped through.

    >I'll bet you mean Papa John's Pizza, and did you expect them to be able to
    >afford something decent for DVD?
    >
    >Although, I'm glad that I got both "Weekend at Bernie's" DVDs when they had
    >them.
    >
    >>When you buy an EZ-D/Flexplay/Whatever self-destructor, is this the kind of
    >>content to be expected? Or are they putting the effort into it to make a
    >>fullblown, full-featured DVD?

    >Don't know as I never wasted my time with those things. But, I'll bet that
    >they do have some special features that will end up being unplayable after the
    >viewing period expires chemically. But, I wouldn't put it past Buena Vista to
    >put all sorts of previews and other unwatchables that you can't skip so easily
    >on EZ-D titles. - Reinhart

    I see another marketing angle that might be tried.

    The "Partial Self-Destruct" DVD.

    These would be DVD's where only the "main" feature is physically
    placed inside a zone that chemically self-destructs. The rest of the
    DVD, including the menu, won't turn black after expiration. It can
    be filled with lot's of advertising, promotions and other obnoxious
    money-making fluff and promotions disguised as additional
    'entertainment' that the buyer can play forever.

    -Corey-S->
    Cory Seedan, Oct 29, 2004