question about resetting enable and access password

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Jeremy, Nov 13, 2003.

  1. Jeremy

    Jeremy Guest

    I have run into this issue a few times

    I set up my router and have everything configured (enable, enable
    secret, line con 0, line vty 0 4, etc)

    Now say a few months down the road i want to change the password to
    somthing else.

    If i go into my router and change my line con 0 password or my enable
    password and i do a copy run start to save the configuration, i reboot
    the router and it wont let me in with my new or old password.

    I then have to do a password recovery on it by rebooting the router
    with a console cable and running the ctl-break etc to set the
    password.

    Im wondering if im doing something wrong. I would think a person
    should be able to go in and change his password, save the config,
    reboot and log into the router with the new password.

    Now i have to run out on site to my locations to do a password
    recovery and reset the passwords.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks
    Jeremy, Nov 13, 2003

  2. In article <>,
    Jeremy <> wrote:
    >I have run into this issue a few times
    >
    >I set up my router and have everything configured (enable, enable
    >secret, line con 0, line vty 0 4, etc)
    >
    >Now say a few months down the road i want to change the password to
    >somthing else.
    >
    >If i go into my router and change my line con 0 password or my enable
    >password and i do a copy run start to save the configuration, i reboot
    >the router and it wont let me in with my new or old password.
    >
    >I then have to do a password recovery on it by rebooting the router
    >with a console cable and running the ctl-break etc to set the
    >password.
    >
    >Im wondering if im doing something wrong. I would think a person
    >should be able to go in and change his password, save the config,
    >reboot and log into the router with the new password.

    We've done it many times and it works fine. You must be doing something
    wrong, but you haven't given enough details for us to figure out what.

    If I had to guess, I'd say you did something like:

    enable secret 7 <new password>

    instead of

    enable secret <new password>

    The 7 before the password means that the encrypted form of the password
    follows. If you put the plaintext password there, it will still be treated
    as if it were the encypted version. When you later try to enable, it will
    encrypt what you type, and it will not match what you entered into the
    config.

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Level(3), Woburn, MA