    had access, but I'm not sure about that. Please explain or help me if you
    can. TIA
    babs

    bb, Mar 29, 2007

  2. bb

    Mike Easter Guest

    bb wrote:
    > I want to change my password and anything else that might enable
    > someone in another location to get into my computer (i.e. email,
    > documents, etc.). I believe that my tech friend who sometimes
    > assists me with a problem on my computer has fixed it so he can see
    > whatever from his own home. Is that possible?

    Yes and that is a good arrangement for someone who is going to provide
    remote tech assistance/support for you. If you trust him and he has
    honestly configured it, you/he can make the configuration such that he
    can only access when you enable him to access and you can see what he is
    accessing. That is, what you see on your screen while he is accessing
    will be what he sees on his screen while he is accessing.

    ? Have you discussed your concerns with him, as someone who you have
    given access to your computer and your files and with whom you have
    entrusted your security?

    ? Is your situation such that you don't want him being your security
    expert and your remote tech support any longer? If you want someone
    else to handle that responsibility, you should engage the new
    security/tech to help you with these questions -- someone you are going
    to give access to your machine.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Mar 29, 2007

  3. bb

    bb Guest

    No, I haven't discussed it with him. He was a friend and just knew about
    computers and helped us set up when we moved. But he made a backup of my
    hard-drive and took it with him. He said that was if I crashed, he'd be
    able to load me back up or something like that. Anyway, as time went on,
    that bothered me. I looked in the section about users, etc. and saw "guest"
    and "remote debugger" and got suspicious that he may have gone a step
    further and made it to where he can sit at home and read my email or my
    documents when I save them. How should I configure myself so I won't be
    worried. I have WindowsXP.

    bb, Mar 29, 2007
  4. bb

    Mike Easter Guest

    bb wrote:
    > No, I haven't discussed it with him.

    Someone should not be setting up things for accessing without an
    absolutely crystal clear and honest understanding about how it is
    configured and how it is to be used. If he did things secretly and
    nefariously, then you shouldn't have given him the kind of access that
    he had. From the way you are presenting it just now, it is not possible
    to guess whether he performed as he did as a goodguy or a badguy.

    > He was a friend and just knew
    > about computers and helped us set up when we moved. But he made a
    > backup of my hard-drive and took it with him. He said that was if I
    > crashed, he'd be able to load me back up or something like that.

    It is entirely possible that whatever he did and said about that was
    completely innocent and done in your best interests. It is also
    possible that it was not. Are we talking about him doing a fresh
    install of something or his reconnecting a box with a harddrive full of
    all kinds of accumulated stuff?

    > Anyway, as time went on, that bothered me. I looked in the section
    > about users, etc. and saw "guest" and "remote debugger" and got
    > suspicious that he may have gone a step further and made it to where
    > he can sit at home and read my email or my documents when I save
    > them.

    If someone has had access to your system, it is possible for them to
    have configured it in such a way that any explanation you get here or
    anywhere else online will be insufficient to create a secure system for
    you. The only possible way is to start with a completely clean system
    from scratch, blasting clean the hdd and reinstalling.

    > How should I configure myself so I won't be worried. I have
    > WindowsXP.

    If you are worried unnecessarily and you have an insight into his
    integrity that you believe and trust -- then I would talk to him about
    your concerns. If that is not the case, then you have to decide if you
    are going to take on the chore of backing up what you can back up and
    blasting your system and doing a fresh install from scratch -- or if you
    are going to hire and entrust someone else to make a housecall and help
    you get secure.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Mar 29, 2007
  5. bb

    bb Guest

    Thanks for the insights. I appreciate your help.

    bb, Mar 29, 2007