question about 'remote storage'

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by gormand53@yahoo.co.uk, Jul 17, 2008.

  1. Guest

    I wonder if anyone here can advise me on a rather unusual problem.

    I'm being harrassed by antisocial teenagers in my neighbourhood, and
    the police can't help me because I don't know their names or where
    they live. And there are never any adults around whom I can point them
    out to.

    It looks as if the only solution is for me to get either photos or
    video of them, and show that to the police.

    I don't have a camcorder, but I do have a digital camera that can take
    video footage. And things have got so bad, I'd even consider buying a
    camcorder, if it helps to get these people caught.

    But the main problem is this: these teenagers are such a bad lot,
    there's every chance that they'd take the camera off me, so I'd be no
    further forward.

    So what I'm looking for is a fairly cheap way of taking photos or
    video in such a way that it's instantly transmitted to a remote
    storage device, such as my PC, so that even if they take my camera,
    the evidence will be safe.

    All the harassment is taking place less than a quarter of a mile from
    my home, so there's no great transmission distance involved here.

    Ideally, I'd like a system that can be always ready, because I never
    know when I'm going to bump into these yobs.

    I should mention also that although I can get onto the Internet via
    public computers, my home PC isn't on the Net.

    I'd be extremely grateful for any advice I can get on this. These yobs
    are glorying in the thought that they can't be traced, and I'd love to
    prove them wrong!

    , Jul 17, 2008

  2. John Guest

    Good luck with this one. I had a very similar experience a few years ago
    and the police would not accept digital photos or web-cam footage at
    all! I was told that they would only accept film footage as it could not
    have been tampered with like digital can!

    Regards,
    John.

    John, Jul 17, 2008

  3. ray Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 04:11:50 -0700, gormand53 wrote:

    > I wonder if anyone here can advise me on a rather unusual problem.
    >
    > I'm being harrassed by antisocial teenagers in my neighbourhood, and the
    > police can't help me because I don't know their names or where they
    > live. And there are never any adults around whom I can point them out
    > to.
    >
    > It looks as if the only solution is for me to get either photos or video
    > of them, and show that to the police.
    >
    > I don't have a camcorder, but I do have a digital camera that can take
    > video footage. And things have got so bad, I'd even consider buying a
    > camcorder, if it helps to get these people caught.
    >
    > But the main problem is this: these teenagers are such a bad lot,
    > there's every chance that they'd take the camera off me, so I'd be no
    > further forward.
    >
    > So what I'm looking for is a fairly cheap way of taking photos or video
    > in such a way that it's instantly transmitted to a remote storage
    > device, such as my PC, so that even if they take my camera, the evidence
    > will be safe.
    >
    > All the harassment is taking place less than a quarter of a mile from my
    > home, so there's no great transmission distance involved here.
    >
    > Ideally, I'd like a system that can be always ready, because I never
    > know when I'm going to bump into these yobs.
    >
    > I should mention also that although I can get onto the Internet via
    > public computers, my home PC isn't on the Net.
    >
    > I'd be extremely grateful for any advice I can get on this. These yobs
    > are glorying in the thought that they can't be traced, and I'd love to
    > prove them wrong!

    If it happens with any degree of predictability I'd talk with the police
    folk about a 'sting' operation - they could actually catch them in the act.

    ray, Jul 17, 2008
  4. <> wrote in message
    > I wonder if anyone here can advise me on a rather unusual problem.
    >
    > I'm being harrassed by antisocial teenagers in my neighbourhood, and
    > the police can't help me because I don't know their names or where
    > they live. And there are never any adults around whom I can point them
    > out to.

    How do you mean "harrassed" what exactly are they doing ?

    And you do know of course, although its a hard lesson to learn
    and maybe a blow to your pride, that the best way of ensuring
    you continue get harrassed, is by responding to it in any way.

    If people discover you're easy to "wnd-up" then there are some sad
    people with empty lives who will simply turn winding you up into their
    latest hobby.

    That is, until an easier mark, an easier person to wind-up comes
    along.

    I'm assuming they're not actually using physical violence.

    Your reference to "adults " there would suggest to me that you're
    only just an adult yourself. Although there again, trying to guess
    peoples ages based on Usenet posts is maybe the easiet way of falling
    flat on your face.

    > It looks as if the only solution is for me to get either photos or
    > video of them, and show that to the police.
    >
    > I don't have a camcorder, but I do have a digital camera that can take
    > video footage. And things have got so bad, I'd even consider buying a
    > camcorder, if it helps to get these people caught.
    >
    > But the main problem is this: these teenagers are such a bad lot,
    > there's every chance that they'd take the camera off me, so I'd be no
    > further forward.
    >
    > So what I'm looking for is a fairly cheap way of taking photos or
    > video in such a way that it's instantly transmitted to a remote
    > storage device, such as my PC, so that even if they take my camera,
    > the evidence will be safe.
    >
    > All the harassment is taking place less than a quarter of a mile from
    > my home, so there's no great transmission distance involved here.
    >
    > Ideally, I'd like a system that can be always ready, because I never
    > know when I'm going to bump into these yobs.
    >
    > I should mention also that although I can get onto the Internet via
    > public computers, my home PC isn't on the Net.
    >
    > I'd be extremely grateful for any advice I can get on this. These yobs
    > are glorying in the thought that they can't be traced, and I'd love to
    > prove them wrong!

    No they're glorying in the thought that they can wind you up. As things
    stand there will always be more of the same where they came from, whatever
    you do. Many of them come from large families for a start.

    Unless you sincerely wish to devote the rest of your life - your entire
    waking hours quite possibly to an anti-yob campaign - for no actual reward
    or benefit at the end of it - as everyone else will be more than happy to let
    "you make a stand" - and make yourself even more of a target, then go
    ahead. Although you may also end up having to move at the end of it.

    Basically if the area you live in is on the slide, your options are
    rather limited.

    Otherwise just let them discover that you're no longer as easy to wind up
    as you were before, and they'll soon turn their attentions elsewhere.

    michael adams

    michael adams, Jul 17, 2008