    is true, then is there some other way to totally scrub a hard drive of
    all data?

    Thanks.

    John, Nov 4, 2003

  2. John

    V W Wall Guest

    John wrote:

    > I have heard that using both the "format" and the "fdisk" command
    > won't necessarily totally remove everything from a hard drive. If that
    > is true, then is there some other way to totally scrub a hard drive of
    > all data?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Threre are plenty of programs around that will do this--some even free.
    The easiest way is to get a "zero fill" program, (sometimes erroneously
    called a "low-level format"), from the drive makers site. This will
    completely overwrite all data on the drive. There are even programs
    that overwrite many times, but this is not really needed.

    There's a lot of mis-information about this subject floating around.
    Beware!

    Virg Wall
    --
    A foolish consistency is the
    hobgoblin of little minds,........

    V W Wall, Nov 4, 2003

  3. John

    John Guest

    On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 15:29:43 GMT, V W Wall <>
    wrote:

    >Threre are plenty of programs around that will do this--some even free.
    >The easiest way is to get a "zero fill" program, (sometimes erroneously
    >called a "low-level format"), from the drive makers site. This will
    >completely overwrite all data on the drive. There are even programs
    >that overwrite many times, but this is not really needed.
    >
    >There's a lot of mis-information about this subject floating around.
    >Beware!
    >
    >Virg Wall

    Thanks for your reply. My hard drive is a QUANTUM FIREBALLP LM15, and
    I can't seem to find a web site for that drive maker. Also, doing a
    Google search for "low-level format" didn't turn up much, so perhaps
    you could help me a bit more since I am in the dark about this.

    Is there a program that boots from a floppy disk that will do this or
    what? I already have Window Washer, but it runs from Windows and I
    would need to run something from a command prompt, right?

    John, Nov 4, 2003
  4. John

    Wizard Guest

    Quantum was bought out by Maxtor, I believe; and you are looking for a
    "zero Fill" program (from DOS).

    Wizard, Nov 4, 2003
  5. John

    John Guest

    On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 20:57:55 GMT, Wizard <> wrote:

    >Quantum was bought out by Maxtor, I believe; and you are looking for a
    >"zero Fill" program (from DOS).

    Thanks a lot. I found it.

    John, Nov 4, 2003
  6. John

    LarryLamb Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > I have heard that using both the "format" and the "fdisk" command
    > won't necessarily totally remove everything from a hard drive. If that
    > is true, then is there some other way to totally scrub a hard drive of
    > all data?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Active@killDisk completely erases the data on hard disks and floppies, then
    overwrites with meaningless data, just to make sure. The download is only
    214kb and it can be found at:
    www.killdisk.com/features.htm

    LarryLamb, Nov 5, 2003
  7. John

    V W Wall Guest

    LarryLamb wrote:

    > "John" <> wrote in message
    > > I have heard that using both the "format" and the "fdisk" command
    > > won't necessarily totally remove everything from a hard drive. If that
    > > is true, then is there some other way to totally scrub a hard drive of
    > > all data?
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    > Active@killDisk completely erases the data on hard disks and floppies, then
    > overwrites with meaningless data, just to make sure. The download is only
    > 214kb and it can be found at:
    > www.killdisk.com/features.htm

    Looks like an excellent program. The free version only overwrites with
    zeros, but that is fine unless the FBI is interested in your data! :-(

    It seems to work with many varities of drives and with FAT and NTFS.

    Virg Wall

    V W Wall, Nov 5, 2003
  8. John

    John Guest