Question about RAM on Toshiba Notebook

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Alex Clayton, Apr 5, 2006.

  1. Alex Clayton

    Alex Clayton Guest

    Just bought a new PC for the wife. It came with 256 RAM, I figured no big
    deal I would just buy her a 512 module and drop it in. Then the fun started.
    I am a real amateur at PC's, but have added RAM to a couple other laptops no
    problem. The trouble here is trying to find exactly which one to buy. The PC
    came from Office Depot. When I check the Toshiba site it does not exist.
    When I call them I get a couple people who can almost speak English, and act
    like they have no idea what RAM is, but want me to place an order for it,
    even though they seem to have no idea what I am asking for.
    The info on the PC says:
    PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM
    When I look on line, I am finding 240 Pin,and 200 Pin modules for this. I
    sure do not want to get the wrong one and then try to return it. The model
    on the PC is M55-S1001. The "Quick guide" In the box is for models M155-S139
    and so forth. I think this is one of those deals where Toshiba made this
    just for Office Depot, but since the "help line" at Toshiba goes to people
    who can't speak English it's hard to be sure. So Does anyone here know if
    the 200Pin PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM is the right one for her's? It looks like it
    is, but I was hoping maybe someone here would know for sure before I buy
    one. Thanks.
    The E-Mail address here is a good one if you want to answer of list.
    Thanks.
    Alex Clayton, Apr 5, 2006

  2. Alex Clayton

    bmoag Guest

    Your computer says it uses 4200 DDR SODIM modules.
    This is a no-brainer because all portables that can add memory use SODIM
    modules.
    The catch is: does your portable have an available slot to add more memory?
    Do you know how to access it?
    bmoag, Apr 6, 2006

  3. Alex Clayton

    Alex Clayton Guest

    "bmoag" <> wrote in message
    > Your computer says it uses 4200 DDR SODIM modules.
    > This is a no-brainer because all portables that can add memory use SODIM
    > modules.
    > The catch is: does your portable have an available slot to add more
    > memory? Do you know how to access it?

    Yes it has 2 slots just like the one I'm using, the specs are the same, if
    you use 2 they have to have the same clock speed and bla bla bla. The only
    problem I am seeing is I see 240 Pin and 200 pin. I would assume that there
    is a difference between a 4200 DDR2 SRAM 240 pin, and a 200 Pin? Or is that
    supposed to be a no brainier? Are you trying to say all the Modules are the
    same no matter what they say? The plan is to just take out the 256 replace
    it with a 512. The only thing I do not want is to buy a module that does not
    work, and deal with trying to take it back. Looking at the pictures of them
    it looks like the 200 Pin is it as it looks just like the 256 that's in
    there. The 240 Pin does not look like it. If I can't find anyone here who
    knows any more about this than I do I will just take the one in there to a
    couple stores I guess and the tech people there should know I guess. Was
    just hoping someone else knew for sure.
    Alex Clayton, Apr 6, 2006